Author Topic: Pitching Plaudits: K Street appreciation thread  (Read 7134 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Evol - nice job.  Hope the name sticks.  I'm not a twitter / facebook guy, so I did not see it until it was mentioned this year on other forums and this one.  This is a perfect nickname, I/M/O, because it reflects the town and an accomplishment.   

Your point about the Pedro comparison is interesting.  Another stat that is amazing is that Gio (1.41) and Stras (1.78) are #2 and #4 in FIP in MLB, E-Jax #10 (2.15), and JZ #16 (2.41).  That kind of shows the ERA is not too far out of line with their own performance.  Team FIP and Team ERA (SP and relievers) are nearly identical at 2.30 and 2.34, respectively, while starter FIP is 2.06.  3 trips through the rotation plus 1 extra start, and the starter WAR is 3.4.  That is a great start, but if the ability to suppress homers is for real, then it really is something deserved by their performance.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Evol - nice job.  Hope the name sticks.  I'm not a twitter / facebook guy, so I did not see it until it was mentioned this year on other forums and this one.  This is a perfect nickname, I/M/O, because it reflects the town and an accomplishment.   

Your point about the Pedro comparison is interesting.  Another stat that is amazing is that Gio (1.41) and Stras (1.78) are #2 and #4 in FIP in MLB, E-Jax #10 (2.15), and JZ #16 (2.41).  That kind of shows the ERA is not too far out of line with their own performance.  Team FIP and Team ERA (SP and relievers) are nearly identical at 2.30 and 2.34, respectively, while starter FIP is 2.06.  3 trips through the rotation plus 1 extra start, and the starter WAR is 3.4.  That is a great start, but if the ability to suppress homers is for real, then it really is something deserved by their performance.

I think it will stick. FP is using it on the air and Zuckerman has used it a few times in his gamer. What I would really like to see is a group of fans with cardboard K Street signs sitting behind the opposing dugout and hold them up whenever a batter K's to greet him on his way back to the dugout.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
It's weird having a power pitching staff now.  In years past it seemed like there were no starters that could throw over 90.  Especially trotting Livan and Lannan out there.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
They actually used it in RFK in 2005.

Yes, but it was the name of the area where the guy sat who used to hang the "K"'s for each strikeout over the railing, down the left field line.  I can't remember his handle but he was an active early poster on the MLB board.  Bumsfan4 was also a resident of the area.  There was always an open invitation to visit K-street for a brewski.   :cheers:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Yes, but it was the name of the area where the guy sat who used to hang the "K"'s for each strikeout over the railing, down the left field line.  I can't remember his handle but he was an active early poster on the MLB board.  Bumsfan4 was also a resident of the area.  There was always an open invitation to visit K-street for a brewski.   :cheers:

That's true, but the nickname for that section was not widely known.  K Street as a nickname for Strasburg was coined by some columnist I can't remember off the top of my head and then further popularized by the Sports Bog.  It disappeared along with the Ks in centerfield after Stras got the Tommy John.

Offline PC

Nationals pitching talk on MLB Network:

Offline nats2playoffs

Nationals pitching talk on MLB Network:

Davey Johnson: "I like challenges, and this is a challenge to put Washington on the map. 
It's a baseball town, not a football town."

[I'm a longtime Redskins fan.  But it's nice to hear Johnson imply that Redskins owner, Dan Snyder, can SUCK IT with his inability to field a winner.]

Davey Johnson, 69, reached a milestone with the Nationals' win Saturday afternoon. 
He got his 1,200th career win as a manager, with a .562 win percentage.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Current ERAs:

Detwiler: 0.56
Strasburg: 1.08
Zimmermann: 1.29
Gonzalez: 1.52
Jackson: 4.26

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Nats pitching is Finga Gunz.

:gunz:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
cross post from the era thread, alhtuogh this article is for the whole staff

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-nationals-do-not-give-up-home-runs/

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/edwin-jackson-nl-starting-pitcher/

lots of love for E-Jax declining BB rate, K an inning performance, use of change and curve along with his slider and fastball, etc...  Mentions K Street's current 22 IP shutout streak. :thumbs:

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/index.php/edwin-jackson-nl-starting-pitcher/

lots of love for E-Jax declining BB rate, K an inning performance, use of change and curve along with his slider and fastball, etc...  Mentions K Street's current 22 IP shutout streak. :thumbs:

I think Jackson's gonna have a very nice year.  He's been impressive so far - gotta love how he rebounded in his last start after that bad first inning.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
But his ERA is so high :stir:

Offline imref

a while ago we talked about IP/GS as one of the better statistics for measuring the likelihood that your team would be good.  All the playoff teams last year in the NL were in the top in this metric, while the two worst teams were us, and Pittsburgh.

As of now, we're tied with Cincy and STL for 4th in the NL with 6.2 IP per GS.  1-3 are Philly, MIA, & SF.  Pittsburgh, of course, is still in dead last.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2012-starter-pitching.shtml

Offline PC

But his ERA is so high :stir:

But his whip is lower than Strasburg's.  Actually, of the four starters who qualify, Strasburg has the highest WHIP. :shock:

Offline The Chief

You got that it was a joke, right?

Offline PC

You got that it was a joke, right?

Yes but where else could I have added my little nugget of goodness???

Offline The Chief

Okay just making sure :lol:

Offline MorseTheHorse

a while ago we talked about IP/GS as one of the better statistics for measuring the likelihood that your team would be good.  All the playoff teams last year in the NL were in the top in this metric, while the two worst teams were us, and Pittsburgh.

As of now, we're tied with Cincy and STL for 4th in the NL with 6.2 IP per GS.  1-3 are Philly, MIA, & SF.  Pittsburgh, of course, is still in dead last.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL/2012-starter-pitching.shtml

with Strasburg and Zimmnn in the rotation we will (and should) have a lower IP/G than the top teams.  I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

Offline imref

with Strasburg and Zimmnn in the rotation we will (and should) have a lower IP/G than the top teams.  I wouldn't worry about that too much. 

i think it's a pretty important stat, and our low IP/GS was one of the reasons why Rizzo got Jackson & GG, both are 200 IP pitchers.  A high IP/GS keeps your bullpen fresh over the course of the season.   Look at recent history:

Top 6:
2011: PHI, AZ, LAD, SFG, STL, MIL  (PHI, AZ, STL, MIL were playoff teams) (Nats were 15)
2010: PHI, SFG, AZ, STL, ATL, CIN  (PHI, SFG, ATL, CIN were playoff teams) (Nats were 15)
2009: STL, ATL, SFG, AZ, CHI, COL (COL, STL were playoffs, PHI was 8th, LAD was 10th) (Nats were 13)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Bit of trivia.

Of the 5 Nationals Starters, how many were not born in the United States, and where were they born?

Offline houston-nat

Bit of trivia.

Of the 5 Nationals Starters, how many were not born in the United States, and where were they born?

I'm spoiler-tagging my answer. No peeking, fellow guessers!!!!
Edwin Jackson is from Germany. I'd kind of guess Gio is USA-born but that's blind ignorance talking. So 1.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Strasburg was born in a manger in Bethlehem. 

Gio was born whereever eagleskins says he was born - definitely not here.

JZ was born on the planet Krypton shortly before it exploded.

Detwiler's heritage is mixed.  He was born in a blue city in a purple state that is tending red.  At least half the board thinks that he was born in not our USA.

Jackson?  A real American. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Davey's managed to not overwork the bullpen even when some say he is lifting starters too early.  Last year, Storen and Clippard both were in the top 25 in appearances.  This year, the Nats do not have a reliever who has appeared in more than 9 games.  About 30 relievers have already appeared in 10 or more games.  Clippard has only appeared in 8. There are about 60 relievers who have made more appearances. 

Offline PC

Gio was supposed to be on Intentional Talk today but they couldn't find him until the very end of the show for a couple of minutes.