Author Topic: I think, we should look for a SS.  (Read 7843 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I think, we should look for a SS.
« Reply #25: July 18, 2005, 06:27:37 PM »
I've been looking at some of the hitters in the Mexican Summer League and there are a few shortstops playing in there, that is they are available, might be worth a look see... Thing is, I cant find any defensive stats on the players.

Here's a few who play SS full or part time that might be worth a peek
Code: [Select]
Player              Pos     G   AB   R    H  2B  3B  HR  RBI   TB  BB  SO  SB  CS  OBP  SLG  AVE
Luis Suarez         SS/LF  80  260  55   87  13   3  17   62  157  22  37   4   0 .398 .604 .335
Flavio Romero       SS/CF  91  342  88  114  17   0  18   50  185  61  58  23  11 .437 .541 .333
Julio Hernandez     SS     99  392  95  126  37   1  15   61  210  60  43   1   1 .430 .536 .321
Carlos A. Gastelum  3B/SS  94  418  95  160  24   4   6   43  210  18  28  20   9 .420 .502 .383
Jose Amador         2B/SS 101  400  72  125  35   1  13   63  201  57  42   7   5 .402 .503 .313
Nicolas Garcia      SS     97  335  46   96  26   0   4   45  134  21  59   1   4 .330 .400 .287

visionary

« Reply #26: July 18, 2005, 08:58:29 PM »
Hmmm, Flavio Romero looks pretty interesting.  I wonder what his defense is like, and just how much SS he actually plays.

natslive

« Reply #27: July 18, 2005, 11:37:30 PM »
Frank needs to sit Guzman for a few days....he didn't cost us the game alone tonight (that was a true team effort) but his performance was pathetic with the error on the easy play and inability to bunt, he's not even hitting close to his weight - I think they should platoon him and Jamey

Montcobaseball

« Reply #28: July 19, 2005, 12:53:04 PM »
I posted this in another thread and now I can't find it but I read somewhere this morning that Bowden was trying to talk Larkin out of retirement!  And then negotationing to trade for another shortstop tells me that he doesn't have the balls to tell Robinson to give Guzman a seat but to force him to do it by playing his cards right.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #29: July 19, 2005, 12:53:10 PM »
According to Barry Svrluga in today's Post, nats are looking at Lugo from Tampa Bay.
"The Nationals continue to ask the Devil Rays about a deal that might include Tampa closer Danys Baez, but a source said the Nationals would also like to acquire infielder Julio Lugo, who is hitting .293 as the everyday shortstop."

Hard to see how this deal would actually work - especially as TB would probably not want Guzman. Maybe Brendan Harris?

I dunno if Bowden has the power to make deals new ownership would have to honor (like agreeing to pick up some portion or Guzman's contract for the remaining 3 years) that might induce TB to take him (tho I suppose he might be able to get some special dispensation from MLB to pay whatever the cost was out of this year's revenues - no idea).

Sounds like they did something like that with Wilson as it was announced as either cash or player to be named later so maybe can do again.

If they could get Lugo and TB would NOT take Guzman, I guess they could keep Guzman on the roster (just cos they can't get rid of him) and waive Cordero to make room for Lugo. be carrying Guzman, Carroll, Lugo and Baerga as middle infielders.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #30: July 19, 2005, 06:09:36 PM »
Yea, Frank loves guys who cant hit worth a darn... He'd be in Heaven with Guzman's .190 PB and Cordero's .118 Maybe Montcobaseball is right, and Bowden just doesn't have the balls to tell Frank to bench Guzman. Has anyone here seen what Frank does to people (reporter in the last case) who try and second guess him? Trading (or giving away Guzman in a deal) might be the only way to get Frank to make the right move for the good of the team. Is Frank afraid to hurt poor Cristian's feeling if he benches him, or is he afraid Guzman will pull an Armas and try to beat the crap out of him?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #31: July 19, 2005, 06:12:03 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Has anyone here seen what Frank does to people (reporter in the last case) who try and second guess him?

No, what does he do  :?:

or is he afraid Guzman will pull an Armas and try to beat the crap out of him?

I don't get this reference either...  did Armas assault somebody?

« Reply #32: July 19, 2005, 06:16:23 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
Has anyone here seen what Frank does to people (reporter in the last case) who try and second guess him?

No, what does he do  :?:

or is he afraid Guzman will pull an Armas and try to beat the crap out of him?

I don't get this reference either...  did Armas assault somebody?

Armas got more than a bit upset with Frank in Frank's first period with the Expos. Nothing that quite qualified as a fight but definitely heated with a physical component (Ken probably remembers the details better than me).

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #33: July 19, 2005, 06:54:37 PM »
When a reporter asked Frank a question about a move he made during the game after a loss, (I don't remember the question) But he worded his question in a way that really pissed off Frank... Franks reply was, in an abnormally loud voice, "Don't ever try to second guess me" The next day we learned that same reporter was banned from the being on or near the bench, the locker room and the playing field, before or after games. He was in essence blackballed by Frank who had more than likely belly ached to the front office about him

As for Armas, Frank had yelled something at Tony and with an 'oh yea, I'll show you' look on his face, he lunged at Frank and had him by the collar and it looked as though he wanted to do some serious damage. Had it not been for Wil Cordero's intervention and his pulling Armas off of Frank, who knows what Tony might have done... More than likely nothing, but who knows for sure.

Hayden

« Reply #34: July 19, 2005, 09:54:41 PM »
Guzman would be hard to trade based merely on his contract, but I don't see many teams wanting a multi million dollar fan.

Brendan Harris could be a potential guy to finish the year, or at least could hit better than Guzman. He is really the only guy in the minors ready to play in the big leagues. Ian Desmond, the future at short stop, is far too young an inexpierenced to play in the show.

« Reply #35: July 20, 2005, 11:43:34 AM »
Quote from: "Hayden"
Guzman would be hard to trade based merely on his contract, but I don't see many teams wanting a multi million dollar fan.

Brendan Harris could be a potential guy to finish the year, or at least could hit better than Guzman. He is really the only guy in the minors ready to play in the big leagues. Ian Desmond, the future at short stop, is far too young an inexpierenced to play in the show.

You figure Guzman may be traded sometime between now and April, 2006 but nats will lose on it. One way or another its gonna cost, either in picking up a portion of his contract in actual cash OR including in essence a "free player" in the deal to offset it.

Only problem with the Lugo thing is, while his .290+ BA looks great to us now, he's really not a guy you'd likely even consider going after in the offseason. 2001 was the only seaon he played anywhere near every day for Houston and he hit .261 with mediocre fielding numbers. He hit better last year for the Rays (.275) but still was not great in the field. Guy is likely a backup on a good team and only starting cos its Tampa.

Dream scenario is Nomar comes back in August and by September is playing like his old self. Nats would have serious FA dollars to pursue him and, at that point, if you have Lugo he's a good backup OR you try to include Guzman in a trade for something else you need if he's still on the roster.

However, who knows if Nomar will ever be Nomar again.