Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97345 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)
« Topic Start: December 30, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
"Food..." Index:

2009-2012 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=16296.0
2013 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30248.0
2014 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30500.0
2015 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32185.0
2016 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33647.0
2017 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34849.0

this thread is mainly for me to ask questions about cooking.

but feel free to talk about any manner of food/dining/cooking too.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1: December 30, 2009, 05:33:38 PM »
You like cooking?

Yeah, dood.

PORK CHOP SANDWICHES!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: December 30, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
You like cooking?

Yeah, dood.

PORK CHOP SANDWICHES!

WHAT THE freak? GET THE freak OUT OF HERE! COME ON!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: December 30, 2009, 06:12:56 PM »
MY GOD THAT SMELLED GOOD

Thread is doomed from the start :lol:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #4: December 30, 2009, 06:26:36 PM »
yeah i can see that.

silver lining, you can merge all the thread-derailing food talk in the resolution thread here.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: December 30, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
Couldn't I just merge the two threads into some kind of resolution/food mega-thread?  splitting posts is so tedious :lol:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: December 30, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »
not much of a cook. made some easy cheap ass stuff tonight.

basically layered some tilapia, tomatos, onions, put some oil, lemon juice, dill, salt, pepper on it. wrap it in foil. put in oven for 20 minutes at 450.

pm me if you want the full details. i'd have to transcribe it from a cookbook.

gonna add this to the rotation. tilapia is $3.99 a pound

Offline Nathan

« Reply #7: December 30, 2009, 09:17:53 PM »

basically layered some tilapia, tomatos, onions, put some oil, lemon juice, dill, salt, pepper on it. wrap it in foil. put in oven for 20 minutes at 450.

Sounds good.  I'd probably leave out the tomatoes if they were fresh (I hate raw tomatoes but I like canned / cooked tomatoes).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: December 30, 2009, 09:21:27 PM »

Basic Boy Scout type recipe - put a bunch of stuff together in foil and cook for a while.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #9: December 30, 2009, 09:23:56 PM »
Basic Boy Scout type recipe - put a bunch of stuff together in foil and cook for a while.
We used to do "hobo dinner" when we went camping, beef, potatoes, onions, etc, all wrapped in foil and cooked on the camp fire.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #10: December 30, 2009, 09:32:32 PM »
Sounds good.  I'd probably leave out the tomatoes if they were fresh (I hate raw tomatoes but I like canned / cooked tomatoes).

they do get cooked in the foil. or you could prob sub in canned tomatos

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #11: December 31, 2009, 12:38:18 AM »
Cream of Wheat - plain with salt and butter.

French Toast - with Jelly or preserves on it instead of syrup

Any Lamb dish and mint jelly

Most fish, dipped in milk, dipped in Italian Bread  Crumbs, pieces of butter or margarine on top of the crumbs, and broiled for about 10 minutes or so!  I miss my Mom making haddock, trout, flounder, salmon or bluefish this way!

Acorn Squash - stuffed with sausage and bread crumbs.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #12: December 31, 2009, 01:56:12 AM »
I like to BBQ stuff. Meat. Over charcoal. Tastes good, is easy, makes you a hero.

I put random spices on like garlic, cinnamon, and taco seasoning. Whatever I can grab out of the cabinet. Tastes really good.

Otherwise, I'm usually too lazy and I eat a lot of sandwiches.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #13: December 31, 2009, 02:03:51 AM »
A lot of times I don't use a recipe.  I'll just throw stuff in that I think will taste good.  It usually comes out good.

Like one time my friends were over and we were drinking wine.  I was going to make some tortellini that I usually just put melted butter and parmasan in it instead of a sauce.  But I had some red bell pepper and baby portabella mushrooms so I sauted them.  Threw in some garlic and red pepper flakes.  As I was cooking and drinking a glass of Cabernet, I thought what the hell, and poured some of that in the veggies and reduced it.  Mixed it all with the tortellini.  I got rave reviews, of course they were 3 drunk hungry guys, but I thought it tasted great.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #14: December 31, 2009, 02:10:33 AM »
Also on that note, I love mushrooms.  Nathan : mushrooms :: sf : white rice.

I loved when I was a kid and we would go "hunting" for morel mushrooms.  God those are incredible.  We would take pounds and just coat them in flour and fry in butter.  When I got older I learned that they are apparently highly sought after and are EXPENSIVE as hell to buy. 

My uncle gave us this one mushroom once he called a "milkbrook".  It looked like a toadstool but tasted amazing.  I'd like to know how to find them and tell them apart from toadstools so I don't die :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: December 31, 2009, 07:00:26 AM »

Parchment paper will keep the fish from sticking.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #16: December 31, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »

Tilapia is $5.99 - $6.99 per pound in South Florida, even when buying in bulk from Costco.  Tilapia and other fish will likely go up in price tomorrow.  Today is the last day until May 1 that you are allowed catch grouper down here.  We have a 4-month ban, coinciding with their spawning season, to help correct for the over-fishing.  The ban runs is for Atlantic waters from North Carolina through The Keys, and then on the gulf side of the keys, and will be repeated annually until the population recovers. 

A good thing about the light fish like tilapia is that it works well with about any kind of sauce/seasoning.  A couple months ago we made some coated with fresh coconut, similar to coconut shrimp, that was outstanding.  One mom & pop Jamaican restaurant makes a tilapia sandwich, with a their homemade jerk sauce on the side for dipping (though I usually just pour it over the fish), that is really good, too.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #17: December 31, 2009, 09:20:45 AM »
When you attend as many sporting events as I do (season tickets to Capitals, DC United, Mystics, Nationals, Redskins, Wizards)...the microwave oven is your friend.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: December 31, 2009, 10:43:26 AM »
Tilapia is $5.99 - $6.99 per pound in South Florida, even when buying in bulk from Costco.  Tilapia and other fish will likely go up in price tomorrow.  Today is the last day until May 1 that you are allowed catch grouper down here.  We have a 4-month ban, coinciding with their spawning season, to help correct for the over-fishing.  The ban runs is for Atlantic waters from North Carolina through The Keys, and then on the gulf side of the keys, and will be repeated annually until the population recovers.  

doesn't Tilapia come from fish farms in Vietnam and China? You can find it pretty cheap frozen at Trader Joes

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #19: December 31, 2009, 11:02:36 AM »
Any of you ever read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain?  I'm about 3/4ths of the way through, it's one of the best books I've ever read.  It's a look into the sub-culture of professional kitchens, some of it is disturbing (don't eat fish on monday, don't order mussels, and don't ask for meat well-done), but mostly it's hysterical.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: December 31, 2009, 11:04:11 AM »
Any of you ever read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain?  I'm about 3/4ths of the way through, it's one of the best books I've ever read.  It's a look into the sub-culture of professional kitchens, some of it is disturbing (don't eat fish on monday, don't order mussels, and don't ask for meat well-done), but mostly it's hysterical.

Yep, pretty revealing and plenty of good advice.  People that order meat well done, obviously have no taste anyway, so give them the crappiest piece of  meat left and they won't be able to tell the difference as long as it's burnt.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: December 31, 2009, 11:18:32 AM »
Any of you ever read Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain?  I'm about 3/4ths of the way through, it's one of the best books I've ever read.  It's a look into the sub-culture of professional kitchens, some of it is disturbing (don't eat fish on monday, don't order mussels, and don't ask for meat well-done), but mostly it's hysterical.

try watching Food, Inc. if you really want to know what not to order (if you have netflix, its available streaming)

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #22: December 31, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
Yep, pretty revealing and plenty of good advice.  People that order meat well done, obviously have no taste anyway, so give them the crappiest piece of  meat left and they won't be able to tell the difference as long as it's burnt.

Trouble is, with the e-coli scare, sometimes restaurants refuse to cook it any other way than well done.  Personally I like mine medium rare to medium.  I knew someone once who liked it barely cooked (stick a fork in it and it says "MOO").  I don't like it THAT rare.

Its far far from fine dining, Five Guys over grills its burgers (at least in one of its places here in Manassas).  I just ask for it a little less burnt on the outside.  When its that way, its jucier.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #23: December 31, 2009, 11:36:07 AM »
All Five Guys purport to cook their meat well done and I've never met a 5G burger I didn't like, but I guess there will be places that over-do it.  Personally I like bugers in general more done, whereas real meat I prefer medium-rare...  more on the rare side if there is any question about how much pink/red

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #24: December 31, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »
Oh, and I don't like my scrambled Eggs or Omlettes runny.

Like my fried eggs over medium.