Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 51363 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #750: December 28, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »
How is his glove at first? Has anyone seen enough to get a good read on that?
LaRoche saved a lot of runs and made a lot of plays that an average 1st baseman wouldn't have made.

I will say no matter what happens I still feel confident we're winning the East again. That's a nice position to be in.

he played 85 games there in 2011 with a 99.2 fielding percentage, overall, he has 123 games there with a 99.4 fielding percentage. LaRoche had a 99.5 last year

Offline Ray D

« Reply #751: December 28, 2012, 11:23:18 AM »

Morse the left fielder and Morse the firstbaseman are completely different beings.  Morse is fine at first base, and he was there most of 2011 when LaRoche was out most of the season, so we've seen quite a bit of him there.  He's no LaRoche at first, but few are.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #752: December 28, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
I think LaRoche has the better glove, but Morse's better bat makes it a basically even exchange.  If we can still trade Morse for something better than a first round pick, then bring back LaRoche.  If it's too late for that, then just keep Morse and pocket the first round pick (and maybe even hope for another first round pick next year when this happens again once Morse's contract expires).

Offline Upark25

« Reply #753: December 28, 2012, 11:53:09 AM »
If it's too late for that, then just keep Morse and pocket the first round pick (and maybe even hope for another first round pick next year when this happens again once Morse's contract expires).

Yeah my hope is this and some form of Rendon/Moore/Skole take over at 1rst base for 2014

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #754: December 28, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
I think LaRoche has the better glove, but Morse's better bat makes it a basically even exchange.  If we can still trade Morse for something better than a first round pick, then bring back LaRoche.  If it's too late for that, then just keep Morse and pocket the first round pick (and maybe even hope for another first round pick next year when this happens again once Morse's contract expires).
The past two healthy seasons for Roachie have been pretty similar to what Morse put up when he was healthy two years ago.  Also, if he goes to Boston, I think we get a 2nd round pick...

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #755: December 28, 2012, 12:21:54 PM »
LaRoche is getting old and Morse is somewhat injury prone.  Not sure which is a better bet to do well next year.  I think they are basically equal in terms of risk/reward. 

The decision - I think - should be made based on the contract given to LaRoche (2 yrs vs. 3) and what Morse could net in a trade.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #756: December 28, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »
DPM - I think Boston gives up a 2nd round pick but we get a sandwich pick regardless of who signs him.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #757: December 28, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
Ah, that could be.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #758: December 28, 2012, 01:08:48 PM »
Gammons says the Red Sox aren't interested in giving up a draft pick nor signing LaRoche to a 3 year deal.

And the pendulum swings back to us......

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #759: December 28, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
LaRoche saved a lot of runs and made a lot of plays that an average 1st baseman wouldn't have made.

I will say no matter what happens I still feel confident we're winning the East again. That's a nice position to be in.

Defense at first base is the third most important aspect of playing first base

1. Bat
2. Hosting ability
3. Catching the ball

Offline Ray D

« Reply #760: December 28, 2012, 01:39:12 PM »

Offline expos1994

« Reply #761: December 28, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »
?

Is that your ability to chit-chat with the other team when they get to first?

I liked LaRoche's glove at 1st last year and I didn't get to see Morse there in 2011, but that is a good fielding percentage he put up.
I think it's nice having another left handed bat in the lineup too. So that's a plus for LaRoche.

I'll be happy with whoever we have there. I even think Tyler Moore might be ready for an everyday spot. Who knows what kind of numbers he'll put up with a full season. Hopefully we get to find out while he's still a Nat.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #762: December 28, 2012, 03:20:07 PM »
Is that your ability to chit-chat with the other team when they get to first?

Everytime I looked the runner on first was chatting up a storm, and LaRoche always seemed to be in another world, neither returning the conversation nor even acknowledging his existence. So I suppose he doesn't score high for hosting. 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #763: December 29, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »

Ladson fills an entire page today with a report that there is no news.  Now that's real journalism...

Tick...tick...tick...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #764: December 29, 2012, 09:38:03 AM »
Who's Ladson?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #765: December 29, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #766: December 29, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
Who's Ladson?
At some point, the random spelling generator will accidentally land on a correct spelling of Labstein

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #767: December 29, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
LaRoche tells Kilgore he's talking to a few teams, but still wants to return to the Nats. 

“We’re talking to a few other teams,” said LaRoche to Kilgore yesterday. “Got to keep things open in case Washington doesn’t work out. I’m still hopeful that it will, but as you know it takes two sides cooperating to make that happen. I’m doing everything I can.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #768: December 29, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »
   I’m still hopeful that it will, but as you know it takes two sides cooperating to make that happen. I’m doing everything I can.

No..."everything you can" means either signing for 2 years...now...or go away...

Offline NatandtheHat

« Reply #769: December 29, 2012, 09:29:10 PM »
So if we ultimately wind up holding onto LaRoche, what is the most likely trade deal for Morse?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #770: December 29, 2012, 09:32:12 PM »

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #771: December 29, 2012, 09:34:55 PM »
So if we ultimately wind up holding onto LaRoche, what is the most likely trade deal for Morse?
It could be TB, or Boston if Boston does not sign Napoli.  I suppose we'd target McGee from TB and Morales from Boston.  It may be that Texas gets into the mix for Morse, too.

Offline Moore Athletic

« Reply #772: December 30, 2012, 02:14:35 AM »
Defense at first base is the third most important aspect of playing first base

1. Bat
2. Hosting ability
3. Catching the ball

Not according to Rizzo throughout the re-sign Dunn and sign Fielder sagas, during which he indicated an interest in defense played at an elite level at the position as something so essential as to justify passing on the big bats and less than gold gloves of the aforementioned. 

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #773: December 30, 2012, 03:31:18 AM »
Not according to Rizzo throughout the re-sign Dunn and sign Fielder sagas, during which he indicated an interest in defense played at an elite level at the position as something so essential as to justify passing on the big bats and less than gold gloves of the aforementioned. 
I'm not aware of both Dunn and Fielders 1st base defense numbers but like some mentioned earlier in the thread Michael Morse is no slouch at first! I believe, if i remember what someone wrote in this thread, their fielding percentages (Morse vs Lorache) were (94 vs 95).

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!