Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88179 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
No thanks

Yes please. Meyer would be the hardest to let go.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Yes please. Meyer would be the hardest to let go.

Uh, I think he's the easist to let go. He has such a long way to go before making the bigs and, in all honesty, looks more like a reliever than a starter.

Rendon would be the toughest. That bat would be fantastic in front of Zimmerman and Harper

Offline HalfSmokes

Uh, I think he's the easist to let go. He has such a long way to go before making the bigs and, in all honesty, looks more like a reliever than a starter.

Rendon would be the toughest. That bat would be fantastic in front of Zimmerman and Harper

Rendon would be the easiest for me- he's nick johnson with more talent

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Wasn't he still on the board when we took Meyer?  I watched him dominate the CWS in 2010 and then come back from injury for the CWS and dominate it again.  As great as I think Meyer can be one day, I really wish they would have taken JBJ...

Jackie Bradley Jr was picked 40th overall (a sandwich 1st rounder) in 2011.

The Nats took:
23rd - Alex Meyer
34th - Brian Goodwin

So, the Nats passed on Bradley 2 times.

Offline Slateman

Rendon would be the easiest for me- he's nick johnson with more talent
Yea ... the injury thing is the issue with him. If he had torn it up this year, we'd be in fantastic position for trades. But he (and Meyer) are still more potential than product.

The problem is that all of our talent is in the lower classes. For a team like the DBacks, who are looking for help this year, it limits what we can offer. They want third base, shortstop or starting pitching help. We don't have anything MLB ready in that regard.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Rendon has been injury prone since we got him. I think Upton would deliver as much offensively as Rendon potentially could.

The only problem that leaves us is at first base next year. I would be fine for keeping them too but if this offer was on the table, I'd do it.

Offline HalfSmokes

Rendon has been injury prone since we got him. I think Upton would deliver as much offensively as Rendon potentially could.

The only problem that leaves us is at first base next year. I would be fine for keeping them too but if this offer was on the table, I'd do it.

Is Moore + Upton better than Morse + (whoever you have in left next year)?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Is Moore + Upton better than Morse + (whoever you have in left next year)?

Yeah i think so... but it would be a tougher question if Bourn were thrown in the mix.

Offline HalfSmokes

I hate the idea of free agent speed guys. My preference would be to keep morse plus moore for at least next year then see where hood and goodwin are (I know 2014 is probably too early, but if 2015 looks like a strong possibility for one or both, I'd rather not lock up someone for the next 5-7 years)

Offline Hogie

I (foolishly?) loved Rendon even more so than Harper a year ago. I was/am so high on that guy.

But I think I would make that trade and fairly easily. Then we keep LaRoche for next year and figure out first base after that.

Of course, this is with the assumption that there are no severe off-the-field or attitude issues that the Nats already know about concerning Upton.

Justin Upton is a legit all-star with 40 home run power. He's also 24 and signed for the next 3.5 years. He's the type of guy you PRAY a prospect turns into. But he comes ready-made. Actually, I'd do that trade right now. Just give me the trade button to push.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
The thing I like about it an Upton trade would be that his contract is decent for a player of his talent. He's already proven and I would instantly trade for someone like him. People are saying McCutchen and Upton would be dangerous... Harper, Werth, and Upton would be even better.

Yea what Hogie said.

Offline hammondsnats

linty ... apparently, the rays may make james shields available.  yes please.

and while we're having some fun, who would you guys rather have (bj) upton/shields or span/liriano?

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025

The obvious answer would be to pick up Adam LaRoche's option year and go with a platoon of LaRoche/Moore platoon at 1B then go Harper/Werth/Upton in the outfield.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Jackie Bradley Jr was picked 40th overall (a sandwich 1st rounder) in 2011.

The Nats took:
23rd - Alex Meyer
34th - Brian Goodwin

So, the Nats passed on Bradley 2 times.

Truth be told, I was disappointed when we passed on JBJ to draft Goodwin. A big part of that was familiarity, but still.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
My opinion is, just like how we saw JZimm last year start to slow down towards the 160 limit, we will see Stras do it as well.  I have a feeling that somewhere around the upper 140 innings or so, we start to see Stras just get really tired and not have the break or life and the velocity may drop a bit.  I know Mark Lerner said the team doesn't want a rental, but honestly that is the best thing to get for this year's team. 

Answer -> Ryan Dempster.
And why exactly would the Cubs want to give him up? And what prospects do we have good enough to facilitate a trade but not so valuable they'd be wasted on a possible rental?

Offline Kevrock

Offensively, Morse was better than Upton last year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Morse is older and not under long term contract. Upton is the better player. I can't believe that's actually being discussed seriously.

Offline Kevrock

You don't think Arizona would take that deal?

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
But I think I would make that trade and fairly easily. Then we keep LaRoche for next year and figure out first base after that.

Justin Upton is a legit all-star with 40 home run power. He's also 24 and signed for the next 3.5 years. He's the type of guy you PRAY a prospect turns into. But he comes ready-made. Actually, I'd do that trade right now. Just give me the trade button to push.

+1.  Which is why it won't happen - it's not nearly enough for Upton.  Add in Desmond, and you might be there.  I might still do it if it were Desmond-Morse-Rendon-Meyer, but that would probably hurt our chances enough this year that it's better as an offseason trade.

I don't think twice about Morse - I'm not convinced of him as a long term answer at 1B or LF.  The second I push that trade button, I turn around and pick up LaRoche's option for next year and pray Espinosa figures it out.  The only trouble is in that case you don't really have a leadoff guy, unless Espi can grow into it, or you commit to platooning Lombo and Espi full time once Werth comes back. You're basically ensuring that 2b has to bat leadoff, so you can go 2b-Upton-Harper-Zimm-LaRoche-Werth-Desmond-Ramos.  Unless you like Werth at leadoff, which i don't.

I don't worry about Rendon in that case either.  Rendon is 22, Upton is 24.  Rendon has a LOT of playing to do if he's going to turn into the player that Upton already is.

Never like to give up a young power arm, but without him, the deal doesn't happen.  Hate to do it, but I'll take the 24 year old all-star.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Upton is having a big time regression this season. Who knows why. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say the trade talk is probably a distraction.

That trade makes me nervous. Although I am close to losing faith with Anthony Rendon, if he starts to stay healthy he'd be a beast.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude

Not really.  They were pretty close, and I think overall Upton was better. Morse's BA and SLG was a touch higher, Upton's OBP was better.  Upton crushed Morse in WAR because of the massive defensive disparity.  Upton is a plus RF, Morse was an average-at-best 1b.  Good enough for a two-win difference.

And really, to quote MDS, "who gives a rat's ass."  Morse is 30.  Upton is 24.  Who do you think will be better for the next 5-7 years?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
It's a tough call because Upton is a pretty good bet to have a Matt Kemp-type breakout season next year.  But the Diamondbacks would have to know him better than anyone else and they are, for some reason, willing to trade him.

Offline Mattionals

As well as he has done, I'd love to send LaRoche to Arizona over Morse.  Can't they just move Middlebrooks to 3rd?    :mg:

All in all, I'd hate to lose Morse, but after his contract expires after 2013, we should let him walk.  I could then just change my Morse jersey to a Moore jersey and the universe will be balanced.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
It's a tough call because Upton is a pretty good bet to have a Matt Kemp-type breakout season next year.  But the Diamondbacks would have to know him better than anyone else and they are, for some reason, willing to trade him.

A guy that was quoted as saying Strasburg isn't an ace heard from his third party sources that Upton is a malcontent. He had no proof, though.

Offline Slateman

A guy that was quoted as saying Strasburg isn't an ace heard from his third party sources that Upton is a malcontent. He had no proof, though.

I can see that being true. His brother has been knocked for the same issue.