Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2009-2012)  (Read 97589 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it.
« Reply #1550: June 01, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
McDonalds would not succeed if its food was not appealing.  Also, with all the heat they got from the nutrition advocates, they now have a decent number of healthy items on their menu.  Nothing wrong with a yogurt parfait and an oatmeal for breakfast.  I have not had their salads lately.  Even the little old single burgers have a lot of the damage fried out of them by the time you eat it.  It's not Five Guys, but it does the job.  2 singles = 500 calories, 18 gms fat.  1 QPw/cheese is 520 calories and 26 gms fat.  Grilled Chicken is the winner - 350 calories and 9 grams.  Surprisingly, the Caesar salads are better than other salads choices.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1551: June 01, 2012, 04:45:48 PM »
You guys can act smug all you want, sometimes there's a craving that only McDonalds can fulfill.  I think they put some kind of drug in it.  Yeah, you feel dirty and like you need to take a shower afterwards, but as you're shoving it down your gullet, it's euphoria.

I feel that way about their bacon egg and cheese biscuits, but I'll take a five guys burger for my fast food any day, and wendies if I want a drive through

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1552: June 01, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »
You guys can act smug all you want, sometimes there's a craving that only McDonalds can fulfill.  I think they put some kind of drug in it.  Yeah, you feel dirty and like you need to take a shower afterwards, but as you're shoving it down your gullet, it's euphoria.

The only fast food place I feel like that about is White Castle. I must have dropped $3k there one summer with after partying sober-up binge sessions. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1553: June 01, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »
McDonalds would not succeed if its food was not appealing.  Also, with all the heat they got from the nutrition advocates, they now have a decent number of healthy items on their menu.  Nothing wrong with a yogurt parfait and an oatmeal for breakfast.  I have not had their salads lately.  Even the little old single burgers have a lot of the damage fried out of them by the time you eat it.  It's not Five Guys, but it does the job.  2 singles = 500 calories, 18 gms fat.  1 QPw/cheese is 520 calories and 26 gms fat.  Grilled Chicken is the winner - 350 calories and 9 grams.  Surprisingly, the Caesar salads are better than other salads choices.

If we do McDs in the morning I get a hash round and an Egg McMuffin without cheese for 390 calories.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #1555: June 01, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »
The only fast food place I feel like that about is White Castle.

No love for Crystal's? While I slightly favor Crystal's, they are pretty damn close. Too bad we are too far South for White Castle and too far North for Crystal's. :?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #1556: June 01, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »

THe Caesar salad is better because it's a simple Caesar salad. McDs other salads have diced eggs, shredded cheese, craisins, the crunchy chow mean noodles, etc.  All that stuff adds fat and carbs.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1557: June 01, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »
Hoo posted that amazing meal and you guys are talking about fast food slop?

Just started baking yeast breads lately. Have been making my own sandwich bread and have a Dill Bread (http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/02/for-beaming-bewitching-breads/) baking in the oven right now. House smells fantastic. :)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #1558: June 01, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »
I like making pizza dough, but I have a nag of a time remembering to uncover it, punch it down, and oil it.  Which you really need to do at least twice unless you want to end up with a beach ball in the oven. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1559: June 02, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Wow, this stuff has some bite to it. I love spicy food, but this crap lit me up :lol:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #1560: June 07, 2012, 09:56:36 AM »
If you're paying less than $6 per dozen for your pastured organic omega 3 fortified eggs, you can be assured the hens are not living on a happy farm. I mean, if I don't know the curator of the hen, I'm not eating that egg.

;) j/k

It is sudden case of hipster Tourettes.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1561: June 07, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
It is sudden case of hipster Tourettes.

This suddenly made me realize that the syllables/stresses line up for a Carl Douglas song parody called "Hipster Fighting".

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1562: July 01, 2012, 06:54:45 PM »
So, I just had one of those Spam singles things.  The first time I've really tried Spam....

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1563: July 01, 2012, 07:03:55 PM »
And, how was?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1564: July 01, 2012, 07:07:41 PM »
And, how was?

Well, I nuked it.  And then I poked it with my finger.  It felt kind of like human flesh .__.

But actually, it was pretty damn good.  I'd eat it again.  I'd have to think of some ways to actually use it other than just as a slab of spam on a plate, though.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1565: July 01, 2012, 07:10:04 PM »
Spread on a cracker with some cheez wiz and mustard.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1566: July 01, 2012, 07:16:56 PM »
Does anybody make a living in food photography? It's kind of a passion of mine, sounds like a dream job, and I'm not bad at it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1567: July 01, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
Does anybody make a living in food photography? It's kind of a passion of mine, sounds like a dream job, and I'm not bad at it.

You're not gonna tell us what those are?  The burger looks :az: but what are the middle two?  One looks like maybe salmon?  It looks :az: too.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1568: July 01, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »
The salmon looks great.  Burger looks good except that it appears to be a machine processed patty, but well disguised.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1569: July 01, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
Burger - The Grape, Dallas, TX; voted "best burger in Texas" by Texas Monthly (definitely in my top 3). That's Vermont white cheddar on a house-ground patty with some homemade bacon poking through
Crispy pork belly with lentil stew - The Bridge Inn, Grinton, Yorkshire, UK
Salmon and veggies - HOST, Liverpool, UK
'Rainforest roll' - Blue Fish, Dallas, TX

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1570: July 01, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »
Burger - The Grape, Dallas, TX; voted "best burger in Texas" by Texas Monthly (definitely in my top 3). That's Vermont white cheddar

Hah, I've eaten the Grape, known for it's mushroom soup as well.   

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1571: July 01, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
Mushrooms and burgers and bacon and salmon.  And I ate a slice of spam nuked on a paper plate at work for dinner :|

Dammit, now I want some good food.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #1572: July 01, 2012, 07:52:51 PM »
Good lord...  I did get to eat Chicken salad today which was pretty awesome I must say, even if it was only 1/4 cup :lol: I miss good food, but the ends justify the means.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1573: July 01, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »
Good lord...  I did get to eat Chicken salad today which was pretty awesome I must say, even if it was only 1/4 cup :lol: I miss good food, but the ends justify the means.

You'll get there soon enough. :)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1574: July 01, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »
I'm far from a culinary expert - as a 21-year-old college grad I think I'm afforded some slack there - but tonight I made grilled chicken sliders (kinda) with bacon and it was absolutely delicious despite coming from a George Foreman grill and a microwave. Who needs gourmet restaurants when I can make a meal like that for so cheap? :az: