Author Topic: Mariano Rivera Injures Knee in Pregame Practice  (Read 693 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/sports/baseball/yankees-mariano-rivera-injured-during-batting-practice.html?_r=1&hp

Rivera Injures Knee in Pregame Practice
By DAVID WALDSTEIN

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — If there has been one constant with the Yankees during the recent edition of their dynasty, it has been the unparalleled success and durability of their closer, Mariano Rivera.

But Rivera crumpled to the ground in agony Thursday, and all that may have changed. Suddenly, the Yankees’ fortunes this season appear very unclear.

Rivera, 42, injured his right knee while chasing a fly ball off the bat of the newly recalled Jayson Nix during batting practice before the Yankees’ game against the Royals. As Rivera ran toward the center-field wall, his knee buckled and he crashed to the ground on the warning track. Alex Rodriguez, who was waiting for his turn in the batting cage, twice said, “Oh my God,” and Manager Joe Girardi ran out to Rivera.

Girardi helped carry Rivera to a cart, which drove him off the field.

The Yankees announced a preliminary diagnosis of a twisted right knee after Rivera was examined by the Royals’ associate team physician, Dr. Joe Noland, and the Yankees’ training staff. He was taken to Kansas University MedWest hospital for a magnetic resonance imaging test.

As grim-faced teammates, coaches and Girardi stood by, Rivera writhed on the ground in pain, clutching at his knee. He was wheeled into the tunnel, where he had to be helped into the clubhouse.

An outstanding athlete, Rivera fancies himself a credible center fielder, even pleading with Girardi to allow him to play center in a game before he retires. Girardi said he wanted to accommodate Rivera, but was too worried about an injury to let him go through with it.

Rivera has been a fixture in center field during batting practice, along with the other pitchers. But he always chased fly balls with more zeal and effort.

Before spring training this year, Rivera hinted that this would be his final season in baseball. He said he knew what his decision was, and nothing could make him change his mind. But at the time, he probably did not consider the possibility of a serious injury.

Rivera has not been on the disabled list since 2003, when he missed the first 25 games of the season with a groin injury sustained in spring training.

<snip>

Offline PC

Torn ACL.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Wow. He may be done.

Certainly done for this year. Sad way to finish.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Regardless of what thinks of the Pinstriped Ones, it sucks to see someone like that suddenly end an astonishing baseball career while shagging fly balls. 

Offline houston-nat

My second-favorite Yankee of all time behind Yogi Berra.

Offline madj55

You hate to see things like this happen to class acts

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Regardless of what thinks of the Pinstriped Ones, it sucks to see someone like that suddenly end an astonishing baseball career while shagging fly balls. 

as much as I hate the Yankees as a franchise, i've always loved Mo and Jeter, two classy guys who play the game the right way.  It really wouldn't surprise me to see Rivera back next year.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I hate this for Mariano Rivera, but I love it for Yankee fans.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Anyone walking by my office as I read the first two posts on this thread would have thought I was reading about a massive train accident.  Just completely shocked.  I don't like getting disproportionate about these things, but Mo is maybe my most admired opponent if you took some sort of admiration x longevity formula.  Just a complete class act, able to knock you out 95% of the time but to take the 5% you get to him in stride and even with some humor. 

I remember the 2005 home opening series for my other team, when the NYY had to watch the rings being handed out (hey, they did it to us before).  When Mo was introduced, he got the standing O, and he tipped his cap.  Incredible roll with it moment. 

I admire him for being the career leader in ERA+, the only guy since 1900 with a better number than Pedro.  Mo is just so dominant.  I am hoping he recovers and decides this is not the way to go out.  Good luck to him, and my wish for a swift and complete recovery.

Offline PC

He says he's coming back.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan

This

Offline Coladar

Eh, come on. Much as I despise the Yankees, Rivera is a class act all the way. There's no positive crap to come with a possibly career ending injury, as great as it is to poke fun at Yankees fans, Rivera is just too damn great to take joy in their pain over it. This resoundingly sucks for the sport of baseball, and especially for the greatest closer of all time and a class act all around.

Offline DPMOmaha

I think the ball he was chasing was hit by ARod...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I think the ball he was chasing was hit by ARod...

Jayson Nix. Laynce's brother, actually.

Offline DPMOmaha

Jayson Nix. Laynce's brother, actually.

Oh.  I just saw the clip of ARod around the cage with his bat in hand reacting when he saw him go down.

Offline Coladar

Oh.  I just saw the clip of ARod around the cage with his bat in hand reacting when he saw him go down.

Yeah, I think I saw an article where ARod said he saw it and started yelling "Oh God" several times or something. It was indeed the other Nix that was the culprit, but ARod apparently saw the whole thing and capped his pants realizing the severity of it.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
He doesnt want the last moment of his career to be the shot of him injuring his knee.  Dont blame him! 

I hate the the Yankees but I RESPECT Rivera.

Offline blue911

Probably the greatest testiment to Rivera is the number of people that have said "I hate the Yankees but..."