Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)  (Read 172351 times)

Offline Teddy-Roosevelt

• LetTeddyWin.com
    • Presidents race gear including official TM Let Teddy Win shirts and rally signs.
Re: Nationals Park Questions?
« Reply #25: November 11, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »
Early concept pictures showed a giant baseball (  :woop:   :clap: ) or a baseball glove (  :spaz: ) above the Red Loft, yet after several years it remains an empty space. What happened to our giant baseball?
The giant baseball was placed there in renderings but used by former president Stan Kasten as a "carrot" to attract a name sponsor for the ball park.  i.e., he was looking for a 10-year, $200 million naming rights deal that would include customizing that prime spot for the name sponsor.  (picture a giant beer bottle where the baseball was, or god forbid a gecko).  Kasten was holding out for the big bucks and "the right fit" when the economy collapsed.  Even if a company could afford it, nobody wanted to make such an outrageous high-profile marketing investment in the current climate.  So we fans get to continue to enjoy "Nationals Park" until the economy picks up; but don't get too used to the name...

Offline Teddy-Roosevelt

• LetTeddyWin.com
    • Presidents race gear including official TM Let Teddy Win shirts and rally signs.
« Reply #26: November 11, 2011, 08:42:52 AM »
serious question - the D.C. area is know for its ethnic food - Ethiopian, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.  When can we see some of this ethnic "flair" reflected in the eateries in the park?
I agree an asian stand would be a hit.  Instead we have redundant new burger and BBQ places.  In my opinion, the best food in the park today is the ethnic fare, but it's worth noting that they are nowhere near as popular as Shake Shack or even the ubiquitous chicken fingers that everybody seems to buy. 

Specifically, I'm talking about the Kosher Stand behind section 143 (fantastic schwarma, best sandwich in the park by far, but closed Fridays and Saturdays), Jammin Island BBQ (really, really good Jamaican jerk chicken & ribs in very generous portions, with less successful fried plantains), and the Cubano sandwich at Taste of the Majors (never hot enough but still respectable).

The only other ethnic food I can think of is El Verano Taqueria, but IMO that place is a real disappointment and not much of a value either.  So the pickins are thin, and definitely lacking any Asian or African flare.  Maybe if we do a better job of patronizing the choices we do have, the Nats (and Levy) will take notice. 

To add to that, how about engaging with Jose Andres to create a few eateries?
I'm pretty sure that deal would have to be done through Levy Restaurant group.  The guy is extending himself to every other corner of the planet.  Why not stadiums?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #27: November 11, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
Ethiopian, Indian, Banh Mi, those Korean tacos, Thai, yum, yum, yum.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #28: November 11, 2011, 09:11:28 AM »
Ethiopian, Indian, Bon Ma, those Korean tacos, Thai, yum, yum, yum.

Just make sure you don't spill that messy crap as you cut across the row to your seat.  And I sure don't want to sit next to someone eating stinky Indian food.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #29: November 11, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »
I usually bring my stinky Indian food from home but with some improvements I might actually buy food at the park.  I will remember to bring a little extra when heading over to 222U. :lol:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #30: November 11, 2011, 09:22:44 AM »
Just make sure you don't spill that messy crap as you cut across the row to your seat.  And I sure don't want to sit next to someone eating stinky Indian food.

a Banh Mi sandwich place in the park would be awesome.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #31: November 11, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »
This is all great and all but I'd just like for them to stop running out cups, drinks, ice, mustard, ketchup, cash, and registers that work and have a staff that understands and administers actual customer services before we open some bullcrap boutique carts.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #32: November 11, 2011, 09:43:07 AM »
I usually bring my stinky Indian food from home but with some improvements I might actually buy food at the park.  I will remember to bring a little extra when heading over to 222U. :lol:

Nice try!  But 222 is where my seats are, I haven't actually sat there in a couple years.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #33: November 11, 2011, 09:45:55 AM »
This is all great and all but I'd just like for them to stop running out cups, drinks, ice, mustard, ketchup, cash, and registers that work and have a staff that understands and administers actual customer services before we open some bullcrap boutique carts.

Last year I waited in a line with a sign that said credit only, then got to the counter and was insulted by the worker for not being aware that the credit machine was broken and they were taking cash only.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #34: November 11, 2011, 09:50:14 AM »
Last year I waited in a line with a sign that said credit only, then got to the counter and was insulted by the worker for not being aware that the credit machine was broken and they were taking cash only.

We should start a thread for next season: Nats Park Fail Pail.  My favorite was the time I tried to use Nats Bucks in the club and the cashier told me "those are only good at Nats Dogs".  :smh:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #35: November 11, 2011, 09:51:42 AM »
My experience is that services is very mixed. I've run into some pleasant, helpfu concessionaires and some really, really attitudinal, slow movin' sloth-like ones.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #36: November 11, 2011, 09:51:43 AM »
We should start a thread for next season: Nats Park Fail Pail.  My favorite was the time I tried to use Nats Bucks in the club and the cashier told me "those are only good at Nats Dogs".  :smh:

two fails in my book:
- the hot dog/drink/ticket plan - you save $3 but you have to wait in a long line and both times I bought the plan they were out of drinks or chips

- usually a large percentage of the ticket kiosks outside the park are inoperable

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #37: November 11, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »
After the All Star break the service got better but early on it was infuriating at times to watch the lack of management and workflow at most of the concession stands.  I mean, is it that difficult to hire a couple of line runner managers to make sure you don't have long lines and confused employees not knowing their anus from a hole in the wall?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #38: November 11, 2011, 09:59:05 AM »
two fails in my book:
- the hot dog/drink/ticket plan - you save $3 but you have to wait in a long line and both times I bought the plan they were out of drinks or chips

- usually a large percentage of the ticket kiosks outside the park are inoperable

I need to try the kiosks, as it is I almost never head to the park without a ticket in hand, either I have a good seat for a premium game or I have a cheap ticket for a mid week game. 

What they really need are ticket sellers like the soup nazi, too many fans want to ask twenty questions before buying a ticket to a game that starts in five minutes.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #39: November 11, 2011, 11:12:37 AM »

:w: ..

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #40: November 11, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »
Hello Everyone! I am going to attempt to answer your non-baseball operations related questions (why dont you sign so-and-so, why did you trade so-and-so, etc.) about Nationals Park! I cant promise I can answer every question personally, but I am willing to give it a go!

Give me shout!

On the garage in Right-Centerfield, there are 2 banners. One with names and logos of the American League teams, and the other with the National League.

What order are the teams depicted? Before you say alphabetical, go and take a second look...

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #41: November 11, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
Hello Everyone! I am going to attempt to answer your non-baseball operations related questions (why dont you sign so-and-so, why did you trade so-and-so, etc.) about Nationals Park! I cant promise I can answer every question personally, but I am willing to give it a go!

Give me shout!

What about caps for water and soda? What is the logic behind the policy that I am not allowed to get the cap?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #42: November 12, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »

Give me shout!
You are a brave person. Good for you.

Two minor questions:
--Why is Budweiser so hard to come by nowadays?
--Why do the condiment stands always run out so early in the game?

Thanks again for doing this...shows a great service mentality...

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #43: November 12, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
The lots across from the Center Field Gates are still in the planning stages. The old gas station on the corner of South Capitol and N street is still part of the Akridge at Half Street Residential project that is scheduled to open sometime in 2013. (according to their website) You can get the most up-to-date information on projects by the ballpark by visiting the Capitol Riverfront Development's website at http://www.capitolriverfront.org/development/by-type

Another good site for neighborhood development news is jdland.com.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #44: November 12, 2011, 01:01:54 PM »

Give me shout!

Excellent customer service reach out.   I have no complaints about what happens outside the lines other than make sure the Leinies are cold.   I don't care about the food.   Keep the grass green, the sky blue and these  :w: comin'.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #45: November 12, 2011, 01:15:43 PM »

Give me shout!
what happened to the brown mustard?

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #46: November 12, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
As a compromise, the horn,  sound it once or twice for a HR and then Bustin Loose. 

Bring back the fireworks for Wins so Charlie can still do his Bang-Zoom and Friday nights!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #47: November 12, 2011, 02:25:37 PM »
Oh and I dont know if you have anything to do with this,  BUT PLEASE HAVE TEDDY WIN!  ITS GETTING UNBELIEVABLY STUPID AND OLD AFTER 6 YEARS!  Make it a real race with different guys alternating being the different presidents.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #48: November 12, 2011, 05:44:44 PM »
When we clinch a playoff spot, Teddy wins.  Or, Teddy wins when we are in sole possession of first (could have done that one year, I forget).

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #49: November 12, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »
I like the sub horn a lot - but I like Chuck Brown more. Bustin' Loose is a DC anthem. Bring the funk. Play it more, play it louder. It would be a good 7th inning stretch song.

Gimme the bridge y'all... ;)

As a compromise, the horn,  sound it once or twice for a HR and then Bustin Loose. 

Bring back the fireworks for Wins so Charlie can still do his Bang-Zoom and Friday nights!