Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals @ Phillies, Game 1 (L)  (Read 9578 times)

Offline nyexpofan

it was really silly because you have Vidro on deck - i'd rather let clayton swing away with sori at 2nd and worse case, tou have vidro up with 2 outs.

Offline Dave B

and soriano is good at taking third.  as long as it wasnt the first or third out at third it is fine

Offline sportsfan882

If you don't attempt the steal, you give Vidro a chance to knock in Soriano with a single.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
O connor is getting a lot of groudball outs. You got to luv that, as opposed to the pitchers on our staff that get a lot of flyball outs

Offline PC

Quote from: "Dave B"
you steal because clayton sucks and is probably going to make an out and you just hope it can score soriano.  also its 0-2 so it might not be a good pitch to throw on.

Actually you don't steal because Vidro is at bat after Clayton and he has a chance to bring you home with two outs.  Sometimes you have to think big picture.

And assuming, he assumed that Clayton wouldn't get a hit, even if the steal would have been successful, Vidro would still have to get a hit with two outs to bring Soriano home from third.

Offline Dave B

soriano steals bases with probably 80 percent success rate.  clayton gets a hit 25 percent of the time. vidro 35 percent.  i'll take my chances with sori stealing and clayton making contact or vidro getting a hit.

Offline PC

soriano steals bases with probably 80 percent success rate.  clayton gets a hit 25 percent of the time. vidro 35 percent.  i'll take my chances with sori stealing and clayton making contact or vidro getting a hit.

But he would have still needed a hit from Vidro, whether he was at second or third.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Man Rollins is battling.

Online The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I don't mind that Soriano was trying to steal, I just wish he would've been a little more careful about it.

Offline PC

Quote from: "The Chief"
I don't mind that Soriano was trying to steal, I just wish he would've been a little more careful about it.

I mind him stealing at that particular moment in this particular game.

Offline sportsfan882

8 in a row retired by O'Connor.. He has thrown 79 pitches through 5 innings. Maybe 1 or 2 more innings.

Offline Dave B

Quote from: "PC"
you steal because clayton sucks and is probably going to make an out and you just hope it can score soriano.  also its 0-2 so it might not be a good pitch to throw on.

Actually you don't steal because Vidro is at bat after Clayton and he has a chance to bring you home with two outs.  Sometimes you have to think big picture.

And assuming, he assumed that Clayton wouldn't get a hit, even if the steal would have been successful, Vidro would still have to get a hit with two outs to bring Soriano home from third.

vidro is good and he only gets a hit 35 percent of the time. those not good chances.  you have a guy like soriano so he can steal third and score and claytons dribbler.

chance of clayton or vidro hit is 60 percent

i think the combination of sori stealin plus clayton making decent enough contact to score him is greater than that

Offline Dave B

But he would have still needed a hit from Vidro, whether he was at second or third.

no claytons nag groundball to 2b would have scored him

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Mets are pounding on the D-Back n the botton of the 2. Four runs in the innings.

4-1 Mets

Offline PC

But he wouldn't have known that Clayton's out was one that he would be able to score on.

But frankly, I wouldn't have trusted either of them, Clayton or Vidro, they way they're hitting tonight.  They're 0-6 combined.

Offline PC

Thiis the the biggest inning of the game for O'Connor.  The meat of their batting order is coming up and, in the next inning, we're at the end of our batting order.

Offline KyleScha

Well, it is up to Majewski now.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
whats the holdup. Gameday is frozen again

Offline nyexpofan

what with oconnor -  injured?

Offline Dave B

But he wouldn't have known that Clayton's out was one that he would be able to score on.

But frankly, I wouldn't have trusted either of them, Clayton or Vidro, they way they're hitting tonight.  They're 0-6 combined.

but the chances that clayton puts the ball in play well enough are greater than the chance of vidro getting a hit. that is just how i feel.

if you wouldnt steal third there, then a leadoff man would never steal third, because our number 2 hitter sucks so much.  if vidro and johnson were up instead of clayton and vidro, i'd probably make him stay at 2nd

Offline sportsfan882

O'Connor wanted to stay, but Frank yanked him.

Offline nats2playoffs

GO D'ARTAGNAN!!!

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
Call to the Bull Pen?  Bring out the reliever ON THE SCREAMIN' EAGLE BABAYYYYY!!!!!

(Click here and look at the sample video for the screamin eagle.)  lol

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Rreally don't understand the move. Abrea is les effective against lefties than he is against righties

Offline Dave B

one bullet dodged