Author Topic: Android Thread  (Read 43754 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Android Thread
« Reply #100: March 04, 2012, 07:10:25 PM »

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #101: March 04, 2012, 07:14:04 PM »
iPad 3 or Amazon Fire?

If iPad3 really has 2048x1536 res in the same form factor at the same price, that's gonna be a pretty damn sexy piece of hardware.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #102: March 04, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »
For how much? $700 to surf the web or watch a movie seems insane to me

Offline The Chief

« Reply #103: March 04, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
Current rumor is that it'll still start at $499.  I'm just a fan of high resolution displays.  It's a shame laptops and desktops are still mostly stuck in the sub-100 DPI dark ages :(

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #104: March 04, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
I'd really like to buy into the Fire being the answer but with an 8GB HD I don't see it working when I'm on flights or in non-wifi areas.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #105: March 04, 2012, 07:33:14 PM »
Current rumor is that it'll still start at $499.  I'm just a fan of high resolution displays.  It's a shame laptops and desktops are still mostly stuck in the sub-100 DPI dark ages :(

Apple usually sticks to the same price points.  The 15" MBP entry level model was $1499 for YEARS.

I'd really like to buy into the Fire being the answer but with an 8GB HD I don't see it working when I'm on flights or in non-wifi areas.

Isn't it just a microSD card?  Just get a bigger one.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #106: March 04, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »

I flew from DC to savannah and back with it and it was fine, maybe not for longer flights, but you can get a few movies and a crap load of books on there

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #107: March 04, 2012, 07:43:46 PM »
Isn't it just a microSD card?  Just get a bigger one.

no microSD

Offline Coladar

« Reply #108: March 04, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
iPad 3 or Amazon Fire?

Like I said earlier, ASUS Transformer Prime. In regards to others comments on specs, ASUS Transformer destroys iPad2, and probably will be a tossup with the 3. But the ability to turn it totally into a laptop with the keyboard dock, even with the pad to control a mouse.... Transformer Prime is THE best tablet out right now, and almost certainly will be when the new iPad comes out.

But between Fire and iPad3? That's laughable if cost isn't a huge issue, iPad3. Hardware destroys the Fire + screen size.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #109: March 04, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
But between Fire and iPad3? That's laughable if cost isn't a huge issue, iPad3. Hardware destroys the Fire + screen size.

The extra $500 for the iPad I could use toward my new bike, more Muscle Milk®, or guns to kill whitey.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #110: March 04, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
Like I said earlier, ASUS Transformer Prime. In regards to others comments on specs, ASUS Transformer destroys iPad2, and probably will be a tossup with the 3. But the ability to turn it totally into a laptop with the keyboard dock, even with the pad to control a mouse.... Transformer Prime is THE best tablet out right now, and almost certainly will be when the new iPad comes out.

you're right, the keyboard is totally the differentiating feature, if only people made one for the ipad

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ipad+keyboard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17683837378939772950&sa=X&ei=LRJUT_GNH-Xo0QGw04D1DQ&ved=0CI0BEPMCMAY

as far as fire goes, it's half the price and the screen size works better as a reader (at least to me)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #111: March 04, 2012, 08:18:32 PM »
you're right, the keyboard is totally the differentiating feature, if only people made one for the ipad

:crackup:

as far as fire goes, it's half the price and the screen size works better as a reader (at least to me)

How does it handle PDFs?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #112: March 04, 2012, 08:22:45 PM »

Offline Coladar

« Reply #113: March 04, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ipad+keyboard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17683837378939772950&sa=X&ei=LRJUT_GNH-Xo0QGw04D1DQ&ved=0CI0BEPMCMAY

Wouldn't work with Ipads aside from a bluetooth keyboard, which you can buy for any tablet... This is a dock, fits into the port on the bottom, and adds the mouse functionality via the pad any laptop has, something no bluetooth keyboard I know of has. Bottom line, it's unique to the Transformer Prime, and try as Apple might, they don't have anything that comes close to it. The Transformer Prime's connector is on the long side, not the bottom like the iPad and most other tablets... that's what let's it work as transforming into a laptop, although the power button on what I consider the side instead of the top because of it took getting used to, as well as lack of a home key.

But yeah, the Transformer Prime just rocks. I don't usually hype gadgets unless they truly deserve it. And the Prime does. The laptop conversion keyboard dock is totally revolutionary. And nothing else in the market duplicates it. Nothing. And hardware wise, it rocks. Top of the line everything, including screen resolution only to be topped by iPad's excessive retina. But 8mp camera, awesome LED flashlight, quad core processor, top of the line NVidia graphics... its just a tablet without flaws, save some complaints the chrome case blocks GPS signal occasionally. But other than that, its the best tablet out there, and it runs Android instead of iOS, another bonus as far as I'm concerned. And its only $500 versus $900 for top of the line iPad3... If anyone is in the market for a tablet, they will have zero regrets buying the ASUS Prime.

I've always been an ASUS fan boy, never had an issue with their mobos for my PC and they usually are top of the line with exclusive ahead of the curve features like the Prime. Its a good company and an outstanding product. Do note if you buy for the laptop conversion feature. The keyboard dock is an additional $150 to the $499 tablet, but well, well, well worth it. Not only do you have a tablet, but you basically can replace your laptop too assuming you also have a desktop. Just an outstanding product.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #114: March 04, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
The Kensington ipad keyboard won't work with iPad's?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #115: March 04, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »
The keyboard he linked is bluetooth.

Does the Transformer have 64 GB of RAM? :mg:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #117: March 04, 2012, 08:29:54 PM »
So what's the advantage of that over the iPad again?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #118: March 04, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »
My real problem with android is the lack of oem support after purchase- my iPhone constantly gets software updates and os updates occur at the time of release - android phones and tablets are left to the whim of a manufactor who may or may not bother upgrading to the current os

Offline Coladar

« Reply #119: March 04, 2012, 09:11:07 PM »
So what's the advantage of that over the iPad again?

Android, which rapes iOS... like not being able to print to a non-Apple printer, not hooking it up and exploring files in Explorer with folders. Not being able to download files to your tablet. I read comics, sometimes download them on Usenet before I get to the store... Easy news, which I subscribe to, has an app for Android allowing full Usenet access. Download the files right to my Comics folder on Android, never have to connect to my PC. The advantages are numerous. And the Prime owns the iPad2 hardware wise, likely will beat the iPad3 in some areas such as graphics processor as well.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #120: March 04, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
All I care about is having something that will read PDFs, I could really give a crap about the rest.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #121: March 04, 2012, 09:16:22 PM »
All I care about is having something that will read PDFs, I could really give a crap about the rest.

are you including features they dropped after realizing they forgot to actually test the damn thing before shipping it?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #122: March 04, 2012, 09:17:56 PM »
Android, which rapes iOS... like not being able to print to a non-Apple printer, not hooking it up and exploring files in Explorer with folders. Not being able to download files to your tablet. I read comics, sometimes download them on Usenet before I get to the store... Easy news, which I subscribe to, has an app for Android allowing full Usenet access. Download the files right to my Comics folder on Android, never have to connect to my PC. The advantages are numerous. And the Prime owns the iPad2 hardware wise, likely will beat the iPad3 in some areas such as graphics processor as well.

TIL that Apple still makes printers.

And for all the Prime's great specs, it only slightly bests the iPad 2 on benchmarks like Sunspider and Browser Mark and is 30-50% faster on GLBenchmark (tests the GPU).  Hmm.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #123: March 04, 2012, 09:18:40 PM »
People still print things?

Online blue911

« Reply #124: March 04, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
People still print things?

I bought a Fire so I didn't have to print stuff. I like the little booger but I don't freak with PDFs with it.