Author Topic: Am I crazy or are FP and Bob developing some chemistry?  (Read 6007 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
I know that not all of the fans love BC[...]

I downright hate him, and I've never even watched him (apart from pre-match clips on the Nats Park jumbotron)...he was hired by Angelos, so that's sufficient.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[...]Have they [Slowes & Jageler] stated that they want to do TV work? Because I would absolutely HATE to lose either one of them, they work perfectly together.

Absolutely - they're perfect for the radio broadcasts.

Offline Ray D

I don't know that they are destined to stay together.  I think that Jageler does have TV ambition - he has done at least one  Nats games on TV (substituting for Carpenter).  And he was fine. I don't think Slowes wants to do TV.   

The problem with Jageler on TV is that he has a face made for radio.

Online blue911

I don't know that they are destined to stay together.  I think that Jageler does have TV ambition - he has done at least one  Nats games on TV (substituting for Carpenter).  And he was fine. I don't think Slowes wants to do TV.   

The problem with Jageler on TV is that he has a face made for radio.

Dave's a handsome man, you're just jealous.

Offline Ray D

Dave himself is the one who first made the remark. (Face made for radio.)

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
I really think this is the best booth since Darling and Proctor.  I have never been the biggest Carpenter fan (too hokey) but I feel like he is starting to get comfortable with FP.  They are a much better fit than Bob and Dibble ever were.  I still prefer Jageler and Slowes to anyone but I am starting to warm to the TV crew. 

I agree actually.  FP might be goofy, but I think he gives the best analysis of any color commentator we've had by far. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Yep. FP is the best we've had so far. Fairly good analysis and can be funny at time, though her tries a bit too hard with the latter.

Carp is still boring as sin but he's harmless.

But all local TV broadcasters get on my nerves after a while simply because I watch them way too much.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Carpenter's 2013 contract TBD.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.

WASHINGTON -- Nationals play-by-play announcer Bob Carpenter is in the last year of his contract with Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, and it's not known if he will be back with the team for the 2013 season.

According to a baseball source, the Nationals and MASN have told Carpenter they will not talk about a contract until after the postseason. Carpenter declined to comment about his future with the club.

Carpenter has been with the Nationals since 2006 and is known for the catch phrase, "See -- you -- later," whenever a Nationals player hits a home run.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120923&content_id=38887136&notebook_id=38891094&vkey=notebook_was&c_id=was

I rag on Carp as much as anyone.   Like TK says, "We kid because we like."    I like Carp and FP.    Like to see them stay as a team.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Michael Reghi also ised to do. "SEE YOU LA TER " for the Orioles!

Offline RL04

As I've pointed out in a few GD threads this year, FP has made some snide know-it-all replies when he disagrees with a baseball comment made by Carp.

And then very soon after, Carp has taken a shot back.

The chemistry, if it was ever there, seems to be gone.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Carpenter's voice is grating.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I know that not all of the fans love BC (although I happen to like him quite a bit), but I'm not sure what the Nationals are looking for if they don't want him back.  I hope that they re-sign him.  He seems like a first class guy and it's quite possible that his replacement won't be as good.

Agreed.  Bob is a genuinely nice guy and loves talking to the fans.  At the STH picnic last month, a group of us talked to Bob for quite a while, and he was really gracious.  I hope to see him back for many years to come.

Offline Hogie

IF the TV job were to come open, and Charlie and Dave stayed together on radio, I would love to see the team make a run at hometown guy Dave Flemming, even though he has tweeted that he hates the press box location at Nats Park.

He's a rising star and does college sports for ESPN as well and I would assume ESPN would like to get him on more east coast games.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Agreed.  Bob is a genuinely nice guy and loves talking to the fans.  At the STH picnic last month, a group of us talked to Bob for quite a while, and he was really gracious.  I hope to see him back for many years to come.

Yep. He has always been good with fans. Lots to be said for that.  FP on the other hands is a ghost. I've yet see him at the park.

Offline CALSGR8

I've seen him a few times but always on the field pre-game.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I liked Thorne and Flanagan better than any other TV duo. Damn shame about Flanagan.

For those of you who may be hockey fans, I think that Gary Thorne and Bill Clement were the best broadcast duo...ever. 

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

Yep. He has always been good with fans. Lots to be said for that.  FP on the other hands is a ghost. I've yet see him at the park.

I've seen him twice.  He's good with the fans, though it seems less so than Carpenter.  It has to do with FP's sense of humor.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
FP is always out drinking beer with fans on games MASN doesn't broadcast. He just hangs out with this regular crowd.

Offline deeznatz

• http://www.amorica.org
Proctor was really good but Darling was total crap.

Yeah Darling sucked.  I actually liked Sutton's insights and voice, but he was pretty  boring and a total Braves homer.

Offline CALSGR8

For those of you who may be hockey fans, I think that Gary Thorne and Bill Clement were the best broadcast duo...ever. 

Nope. Benenati and 'Locker'
  But that should be in the Capitals thread

Offline CALSGR8

FP is always out drinking beer with fans on games MASN doesn't broadcast. He just hangs out with this regular crowd.

Actually he joked with Carp about that!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Actually he joked with Carp about that!

In what way? He's tweeted pics of him out in the Red Loft on games MASN isn't showing.

Offline CALSGR8

In what way? He's tweeted pics of him out in the Red Loft on games MASN isn't showing.

I think he was joking with Carp when they were talking about $5 beer night.  I forget which night it was. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Yeah Darling sucked.  I actually liked Sutton's insights and voice, but he was pretty  boring and a total Braves homer.

I'll give Ronnie some credit.  He was lousy here and admits it.  he took it as a learning experience, worked hard at learnignto do it better,  and now is pretty highly regarded.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

I have to agree that any chemistry Bob and FP have is gone. 

I think all the winning has gotten into their broadcasting style.