Author Topic: Snyder as Nats owner (hypothetical)  (Read 819 times)

Offline GOON

Snyder as Nats owner (hypothetical)
« Topic Start: May 03, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
If we had a decent ownership group it wouldn't be a question of a bat or an arm.

Makes me wish Dan Snyder owned the Nationals.  Yes, he is a terrible football owner but unlike in football, baseball has no salary cap so he could throw money at the best talent around.  Our offense wouldn't be as bad as it is had we spent money on offensive talent.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Snyder as Nats owner (hypothetical)
« Reply #1: May 03, 2012, 10:02:45 AM »
Makes me wish Dan Snyder owned the Nationals.  Yes, he is a terrible football owner but unlike in football, baseball has no salary cap so he could throw money at the best talent around.  Our offense wouldn't be as bad as it is had we spent money on offensive talent.

I actually have said something similar.

Switch the Lerners with Snyder... and I think most of the Skins and Nats fans would be happy with what happens with each team.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: May 03, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
especially 'new' snyder now that his penchant for over-the-hill stars seems to have faded

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #3: May 03, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »
Snyder would be a terrible baseball owner.  He'd sign way too many over-the-hill free agents just because they're big names.  He'd also sign the high profile head cases like Manny.

It took 'new' Snyder 10 years to learn (and even this is a stretch - can call consecutive 5-11 seasons under Shanny a success?).  The Lerners haven't had nearly that much time.  The Lerners seem to have caught on much more quickly than Snyder.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #4: May 03, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
Snyder would be a terrible baseball owner.  He'd sign way too many over-the-hill free agents just because they're big names.  He'd also sign the high profile head cases like Manny.

It took 'new' Snyder 10 years to learn (and even this is a stretch - can call consecutive 5-11 seasons under Shanny a success?).  The Lerners haven't had nearly that much time.  The Lerners seem to have caught on much more quickly than Snyder.

A lot of problems in baseball can be smoothed over by constant spending (to a point... i.e. the luxury tax ceiling). See the Yankees and being able to take hits like Pavano and Burnett without really missing a beat.

Whereas in football, with the cap, you miss on big money guys, you've hamstrung your entire organization for a few years.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #5: May 03, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »
Only the Yankees have been able to do that, though.  Other high-spending clubs have not been able to spend through mistakes.

If Snyder would spend $200 mil a year on payroll, then sure.  If not, then he'd be a disaster.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: May 03, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
How many examples of bottom 10 pay roll teams over coming bad contracts to win a ring are there because that's where the team is now

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: May 03, 2012, 12:19:08 PM »
We would have Pujols, Werth and Crawford and no one in the minor leagues

we would trade minor leaguers for free agents :shrug: Didn't snyder just give up the most picks ever to move up in the draft?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #8: May 03, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
we would trade minor leaguers for free agents :shrug: Didn't snyder just give up the most picks ever to move up in the draft?

Nothing will come close to the Saints trade for Williams.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: May 03, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »
Only the Yankees have been able to do that, though.  Other high-spending clubs have not been able to spend through mistakes.

If Snyder would spend $200 mil a year on payroll, then sure.  If not, then he'd be a disaster.

and remember that the core of the Yankees were guys they developed (Jeter, Petite, Mo, Posada, Cano), the A-Rod deal is arguably a disaster.  Of all the guys they've signed in recent years, CC seems to be the one that has earned his keep.

Offline imref

« Reply #10: May 03, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »

how are the Cubs doing these days?

I'll argue until i'm blue in the face, you build winning baseball teams through your farm system and supplement a home-grown core with a few free agents where needed.  You don't build winning teams buy stocking your team with overpriced guys on the downside of their career.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: May 03, 2012, 12:44:38 PM »
You don't build winning teams buy stocking your team with overpriced guys on the downside of their career.

No one would ever argue against that.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: May 03, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
and remember that the core of the Yankees were guys they developed (Jeter, Petite, Mo, Posada, Cano), the A-Rod deal is arguably a disaster.  Of all the guys they've signed in recent years, CC seems to be the one that has earned his keep.

granderson? Teix sucked out of the gate, but contributed 5 WAR in 09 when they won. Other free agents chipping in were Arod (4.3 WAR), Damon (3.4), Swisher (3.2) Matsui (2.4), CC (6.4), Pettite (3.7) Burnett (3.5) some of them sucked in the playoffs, but they certainly helped them get there. The Nationals would be lucky to get that kind of production from our free agents 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #13: May 03, 2012, 12:50:51 PM »
imref is the new leader of LANC

Offline imref

« Reply #14: May 03, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
imref is the new leader of LANC

I prefer to think of myself in the RIS (Rizzo is smart) club.  Again, I would have paid for Reyes, not for Fielder.

Offline imref

« Reply #15: May 03, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »
granderson? Teix sucked out of the gate, but contributed 5 WAR in 09 when they won. Other free agents chipping in were Arod (4.3 WAR), Damon (3.4), Swisher (3.2) Matsui (2.4), CC (6.4), Pettite (3.7) Burnett (3.5) some of them sucked in the playoffs, but they certainly helped them get there. The Nationals would be lucky to get that kind of production from our free agents 

look at what they paid Tex and A-Rod and count the # of championships they've won.   Petite came out of their system, they drafted him in 1990.

Again, I'd argue that the Yankees owe their success more to what they've developed then what they've bought (and even with all that spending they've won 1 title in 11 years).

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #16: May 03, 2012, 01:02:31 PM »
Can't do that in baseball. So Danny boy would just try and buy a championship. Except he would buy the crappy free agents that don't produce.

look at what they paid Tex and A-Rod and count the # of championships they've won.   Petite came out of their system, they drafted him in 1990.

Again, I'd argue that the Yankees owe their success more to what they've developed then what they've bought (and even with all that spending they've won 1 title in 11 years).

I agree with this, but, the Yankees spending habits have made them far more competitive. They've made the playoffs 12 out the last 14 seasons. Won their division several times.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: May 03, 2012, 01:03:19 PM »

they signed him as a free agent after he went to the astros, and sure they've spent a lot, they are also regular fixtures in the playoffs. I'd take that over thrifty with 0 titles in 7 years

Offline imref

« Reply #18: May 03, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »
they signed him as a free agent after he went to the astros, and sure they've spent a lot, they are also regular fixtures in the playoffs. I'd take that over thrifty with 0 titles in 7 years

but they also had a self-developed solid core,  we're just now getting that core.  Spend without the core and you are the Chicago Cubs.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #19: May 03, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »
but they also had a self-developed solid core,  we're just now getting that core.  Spend without the core and you are the Chicago Cubs.

Why do you continue to trump this strawman.

Who is advocating this strategy?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #20: May 03, 2012, 01:15:03 PM »

the core is homegrown, but they aren't getting them to the playoffs every year by themselves. If you want to draw the parallel to our core, the yankees won a ring in 1996 (Jeter's rookie year, Posada Rivera and Pettite's second year), so we should be winning this year (Zimmermann's third, Stras's second, Harper's rookie)

Offline imref

« Reply #21: May 03, 2012, 01:56:38 PM »
Why do you continue to trump this strawman.

Who is advocating this strategy?

those who argue that if we just had snyder as an owner and had just blown the bank on free agents over the last 5 years we'd be a winning ball club"  IMHO we could have added Tex, and half a dozen other high priced free agents and still not won anything given we up until recently have lacked that core of home-grown talent.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #22: May 03, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »
Nothing will come close to the Saints trade for Williams.

How about the Vikings trade for Walker?

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #23: May 03, 2012, 02:08:07 PM »
Unless he changed his level of involvement (I know he hopefully has) I think he'd fail at being an owner in any sport.  Snyder could bankroll a great baseball front office, but only if he was willing to be completely uninvolved.  My feeling is we'd have baseball's James Dolan.   I do think the Lerner's would be excellent NFL owners though.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: May 03, 2012, 02:17:40 PM »
How about the Vikings trade for Walker?

That too. :lol: