Poll

What was it tonight?

Desmond's error costing a DP
26 (72.2%)
Morgan throwing it to 3rd to allow the runners to advance
2 (5.6%)
Ball off Zimm and past Desmond
1 (2.8%)
Morgan getting picked off at 1st (again)
5 (13.9%)
Gonzalez swinging at a ball heading for the mascot
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: worst of the worst  (Read 3934 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: worst of the worst
« Reply #25: June 28, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »
Of course not.  But Morgan getting picked off first established the tone of the game for me.  It was clearly going to be another succession of brain dead screw ups, botches, muffs, errant throws, and general ineptitude.

Willingham assist aside.

Actually, outside that pick off (he was safe btw) the team actually played very well (hitting notwithstanding), until the top of the 7th when they couldn't drive in the run and then it all went to hell in a hand basket

It was the Braves making one boneheaded play after another. Worst part is, the Braves make 4 errors and nothing happens to them, while the Nats ALWAYS pay for their mistakes. The baseball Gawds have an evil sense of humor and they're starting to piss me off

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: June 28, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
OK, I feel a little better after seeing what just happened in St. Louis

Cards win 6-5 as AZ blows a 5-3 lead in the ninth on a throwing error that allowed two runs to score.

Larussa used Adam Wainwright as a pinch hitter and Jaime Garcia as a pinch runner in the 9th.

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #27: June 28, 2010, 11:00:09 PM »
worst part was watching Strasburg walk off the field to tomahawk chops, boos, and chants of "overrated".  That made me sick to my stomach

Offline Coladar

« Reply #28: June 28, 2010, 11:00:42 PM »
I was just pondering this as I was about to shut the PC off and say enough with this team for the next 20 hours... This poll is so blatantly obvious, being Desmond's error, it hurts. But which was the worst game, tonight or Friday night? (Here's a bizarre (not) coincidence... Desmond had godawful errors in both games!!!) Clearly, in my opinion, it was Friday. We had a shot, no, we *should* have won on Friday. The freaking Orioles, up by six runs? That said, tonight was filled with so much stupidity and after having the last three games being what they were, with Strasburg pitching, with a five run inning that should have had a double play with just a man on third?

I didn't think any game of the past five seasons came close to being as bad as Friday night was. Then we get one that comes extraordinarily close just three nights later... I'll take a repeat of the past two seasons over a repeat of the past month, excluding Strasburg.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #29: June 28, 2010, 11:01:25 PM »
worst part was watching Strasburg walk off the field to tomahawk chops, boos, and chants of "overrated".  That made me sick to my stomach

Ironic isn't it, considering the Atlanta fans only came out to see Strasburg tonight, can't be bothered to show up and root for their own team. This is why Atlanta is the worst sports city in the world, they don't even have their own chant, they stole it from FSU, douchebags

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #30: June 28, 2010, 11:06:10 PM »
C'mon, don't trash the board with trade Strasburg crap, it's so stupid.  Damn, DC fans sure have short memories. In Ovechkin's first year the Caps stunk, the WORST team in hockey by far, the ugliest most unsightly hockey you'll ever see. That's why the WORST teams in the league get the best players, to get better. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #31: June 28, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »
Is it too late to finish what Sherman started?  That simian crotchfruit in the white collared shirt douching it up behind home plate certainly struck me as the flower of southern manhood.   

Ironic isn't it, considering the Atlanta fans only came out to see Strasburg tonight, can't be bothered to show up and root for their own team. This is why Atlanta is the worst sports city in the world, they don't even have their own chant, they stole it from FSU, douchebags

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #32: June 28, 2010, 11:17:01 PM »
I hope the team trades strasburg for his own good. I'd hate to see mediocre players like desmond, guzman, kennedy, morgan ruin his career. Why would he stay here if we can't give him run support or fielding support. Do the right thung rizzo and help the young man. I look at it like an adoption. Strasburg was born to a trashy welfare mother who can't take care of him (nationals). Often times they realize that they are not fit to parent and should adopt the kid for their own benefit. They give the kid to a rich couple (yankees) who can't conceive, but give the child a great life

what the freak

Offline Dave B

« Reply #33: June 28, 2010, 11:30:27 PM »
C'mon, don't trash the board with trade Strasburg crap, it's so stupid.  Damn, DC fans sure have short memories. In Ovechkin's first year the Caps stunk, the WORST team in hockey by far, the ugliest most unsightly hockey you'll ever see. That's why the WORST teams in the league get the best players, to get better.  

not true. they were bad but ran away with 27th spot in the standings. the penguins and blues were god awful. the following year, the flyers were the worst team by far and the caps finished 28th out of 30.

even the bad recent caps were never this bad for one season. the nats have been absolute garbage for 2 going on 3 years or 3 going on 4.

the teams that were god awful in the NHL recently included the Pens and Flyers. And well, they turned it around pretty quick. like in a year or two.

The NHL and MLB are totally different and the Caps had a huge head start in a REbuild by actually having good players to trade. The Nats are BUILDING and the Caps should never serve as an example for what we should expect with this bullcrap Plan

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #34: June 28, 2010, 11:35:48 PM »
not true. they were bad but ran away with 27th spot in the standings. the penguins and blues were god awful. the following year, the flyers were the worst team by far and the caps finished 28th out of 30.

even the bad caps were never this bad for one season. the nats have been garbage for 2 going on 3 years or 3 going on 4.

the teams that were god awful in the NHL included the Pens and Flyers. And well, they turned it around pretty quick. like in a year or two.

The NHL and MLB are totally different and the Caps had a huge head start in a REbuild by actually having good players to trade. The Nats are BUILDING and the Caps should never serve as an example for what we should expect with this bullcrap Plan

The Caps have been around for over 30 years, of course they were in a different position, they had players they could trade for picks, that's what the fire sale was all about. 28th out of 30? Seriously, aren't we quibbling?  Besides you missed the point entirely, the Caps were a BAD hockey team in Ovechkin's first year, even though he was had 54 goals! They did not make the playoffs until his third year and even that took a miracle run down the stretch. The Nats have been around for about a minute comparatively speaking, Strasburg is the Nats Ovechkin, a once in a generation talent, they also just drafted Harper. We were always going to stink this year regardless, you have to build around him and players like Zim and Zim2 that takes time. Of course it sucks now, but the notion of trading Strasburg "for his own good" is patently absurd.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #35: June 28, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
The Caps have been around for 35 years, of course they were in a different position, they had players they could trade for picks, that's what the fire sale was all about. 28th out of 30? Seriously, aren't we quibbling?  Besides you missed the point entirely, the Caps were a BAD hockey team in Ovechkin's first year, even though he was had 54 goals! They did not make the playoffs until his third year and even that took a miracle run down the stretch. Strasburg is the Nats Ovechkin, a once in a generation talent, they also just drafted Harper. We were always going to stink this year regardless, you have to build around him and players like Zim and Zim2 that takes time. Of course it sucks now, but the notion of trading Strasburg "for his own good" is patently absurd.

the 05-06 caps had solid fundamentals but no secondary talent

the 07-10 nats have no fundamentals and not much talent

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #36: June 28, 2010, 11:39:56 PM »
the 05-06 caps had solid fundamentals but no secondary talent

the 07-10 nats have no fundamentals and not much talent

Gawd, so much reading comprehension fail tonight, you all are missing the point. I was responding to GMUs ridiculous post about trading Strasburg for his own good.  The Caps are an example of a great talent on a crappy team and how it takes time for that crappy team to catch up to the great talent.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #37: June 28, 2010, 11:42:10 PM »
Gawd, so much reading comprehension fail tonight, you all are missing the point. I was responding to GMUs ridiculous post about trading Strasburg for his own good.  The Caps are an example of a great talent on a crappy team and how it takes time for that crappy team to catch up to the great talent.

i didnt read any of the posts before yours, i dont see why in the world we'd ever consider trading strasburg

i was making more of an overall point how the crappy caps just had no talent but were solid fundamentally. ironically now they forget the fundamentals when it counts

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #38: June 28, 2010, 11:44:26 PM »
i didnt read any of the posts before yours, i dont see why in the world we'd ever consider trading strasburg

i was making more of an overall point how the crappy caps just had no talent but were solid fundamentally. ironically now they forget the fundamentals when it counts

LOL

That's a whole other can of worms with the Caps

I was responding to GMUs post, he wants Rizzo to trade Strasburg to the Yankees because we're swell like that, because after all all that matters is Strasburg's stats and feelings apparently

Offline The Bionic Elbow

• Washington Nationals 'Psycho'
« Reply #39: June 28, 2010, 11:44:39 PM »
Damn!

I was really hoping for 2011 to be the year that they FINALLY turn the corner, however they might not be able to make a .500 season before the world ends in 2012.  :'(

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #40: June 28, 2010, 11:45:15 PM »
why cant we be like we were when we were 20-15?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #41: June 28, 2010, 11:48:09 PM »
why cant we be like we were when we were 20-15?

Yeah! Let's do that!

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #42: June 28, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
I voted Gonzo's swing. Then I would do Desmonds error. We had an offensive opportunity to score in a run. No dice. Then the defensive error came after so I just rate it from worse situation to slightly less worse... Like Morgans pick off would be last IMO, but still pretty awful.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #43: June 29, 2010, 12:12:18 AM »
I voted Gonzo's swing. Then I would do Desmonds error. We had an offensive opportunity to score in a run. No dice. Then the defensive error came after so I just rate it from worse situation to slightly less worse... Like Morgans pick off would be last IMO, but still pretty awful.

But if Gonzo hit a home run in that spot, we still would have lost the game due to Desmond's error. Plus an idiot who's never been able to hit swinging at a wild pitch isn't anywhere near the level of stupidity, ridiculousness and sheer pathetic joke that was Desmond's 19th error. 19th error two weeks before the all-star break, no less. It's no contest still.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #44: June 29, 2010, 12:30:52 AM »
But if Gonzo hit a home run in that spot, we still would have lost the game due to Desmond's error. Plus an idiot who's never been able to hit swinging at a wild pitch isn't anywhere near the level of stupidity, ridiculousness and sheer pathetic joke that was Desmond's 19th error. 19th error two weeks before the all-star break, no less. It's no contest still.

Says who? What if a 2 run homer there (taking your example) boosted Strasburgs momentum so that he wouldn't have walked the lead off man. It doesn't matter. What happened, happened. I still think that the lack of offense was worse than that play. Any other time I would say defense but right there, that was the closest attempt to scoring a run we had all game, and we failed.

As for Desmond, it was a known issue that bringing him up here we'd see alot of errors. 19 is a crap ton, but its not like this was a surprise that it would happen. He either makes the amazing plays happen, or the dumbcrap mistakes happen. Move him down to AAA if you think thats going to work. I'm fine with it. I just don't see what bringing up a Pete Orr would do given that he wouldn't develop any further. I know I just made a contradicting statement but I just rather see the young guy up here than playing against AAA stuff (since hes a rookie). I'd still like to see something shake up this clubhouse (if there aren't any other moves). We don't have a good middle infield obviously. Desmond has 19. Kennedy + Guzman have 12. It sucks but theres nothing drastic that can happen if our future middle infielder is struggling. Hes still a rookie. Give him a 3 day rest. If he freaks up. Move him down to AAA. Rest is my excuse because I think its a psychological cure. If he doesn't get it through his head that not making routine plays or sucking at the plate is "okay" then we have a problem. I'd still like to see him and Espinosa up the middle. I just don't see us acquiring any solid infielders with whats on the market now. So where I stand is: keep Desmond up here, sit him for a series. Play him. If he continues to slump and make another error or two... move him down until he heats up. Reasoning: I don't see how playing in AAA will help him progress in the majors if the plan is to make him our starting shortstop. The only thing AAA could do is give him that mental kick in the ass feeling. If there are other reasons, I stand corrected.

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #45: June 29, 2010, 12:42:19 AM »
What was it tonight?

Knowing it could all happen again tomorrow.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #46: June 29, 2010, 12:43:18 AM »
What was it tonight?

Knowing it could all happen again tomorrow.

Could? I expect the same lineup as tonight, sans Gonzalez being replaced by Guzman.

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #47: June 29, 2010, 08:16:01 AM »
I voted for Desmond. Maybe they should send him back down to Syracuse. He is killing the team right now with his errors and hitting slump. Morgan should be benched tonight for his stupid missing the cutoff man for the umpteenth time. The replay on the pickoff showed he was safe and the ESPN guys said he was safe.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #48: June 29, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »
I hope the team trades strasburg for his own good. I'd hate to see mediocre players like desmond, guzman, kennedy, morgan ruin his career. Why would he stay here if we can't give him run support or fielding support. Do the right thung rizzo and help the young man. I look at it like an adoption. Strasburg was born to a trashy welfare mother who can't take care of him (nationals). Often times they realize that they are not fit to parent and should adopt the kid for their own benefit. They give the kid to a rich couple (yankees) who can't conceive, but give the child a great life

Worst post ever in the history of the internet.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #49: June 29, 2010, 08:39:31 AM »
+1.

There's no excuse for Morgan's 2 boneheaded plays.  At least Escobar also made a couple of bad fielding plays at SS, too.  Turner [cruddy in]Field.