Author Topic: Thinking about getting a new dog  (Read 11882 times)

Offline CJames0569

Re: Thinking about getting a new dog
« Reply #25: May 03, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »
I want a dog so damn bad but I'm moving to an apartment here in the next two months and will be losing my big yard  :'(  So now I'm holding off on getting one (I want a Giant Schnauzer) until I have a house with a yard, but with a girlfriend starting law school it's going to be tough. I'm hoping to save enough money for a house in about a year though.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #26: May 03, 2010, 11:12:41 AM »
Boxers have wonderful, wonderful personalities. A Great Dane is a nice dog too. They are pretty calm and don't need a ton of space, and they are sweet as sugar and like kids.

This is true but they are big dogs and need space.  :lol:

Huskies are great for allergies - their oil in their fur traps the dander. I'm allergic to dogs.

I bet you have tons of allergies.  :lmao:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #27: May 03, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »
I want a dog so damn bad but I'm moving to an apartment here in the next two months and will be losing my big yard  :'(  So now I'm holding off on getting one (I want a Giant Schnauzer) until I have a house with a yard, but with a girlfriend starting law school it's going to be tough. I'm hoping to save enough money for a house in about a year though.

Some dogs do extremely well in apartment living.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #28: May 03, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »
This is true but they are big dogs and need space.  :lol:

I bet you have tons of allergies.  :lmao:

Google shows a 50/50 split on whether they will do well in apartments, but ronny said he has a big place. I'd love to have a great dane.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #29: May 03, 2010, 12:36:30 PM »
Google shows a 50/50 split on whether they will do well in apartments, but ronny said he has a big place. I'd love to have a great dane.

I only meant that in the sense that Great Danes are huge dogs so it was sort of tongue-in-cheek. My neighbor has a Great Dane and her house is probably about the same size as ronnynat's place. I also knew this chick who had a Great Dane (probably the biggest freaking dog I've ever seen of any breed) and she lived in an apartment.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #30: May 03, 2010, 12:39:42 PM »
I only meant that in the sense that Great Danes are huge dogs so it was sort of tongue-in-cheek. My neighbor has a Great Dane and her house is probably about the same size as ronnynat's place. I also knew this chick who had a Great Dane (probably the biggest freaking dog I've ever seen of any breed) and she lived in an apartment.

I imagine if you don't like your crap knocked over, you get a different dog.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #31: May 03, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »
I imagine if you don't like your crap knocked over, you get a different dog.

True. My neighbor did tell me that her dog used to knock a lot of stuff over, especially when she was still growing and was a bit clumsy.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #32: May 03, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »

Some dogs do extremely well in apartment living.

Ya some big dogs need less exercise and can be fine in apartments, like Mastiffs but I really want a big dog that doesn't shed and thus my options are extremely limited. I've had German Shepards before so I want a Giant Schnauzer because they are very intelligent, can be well trained, obedient, and are active like a German Shepard but don't shed all over the house.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #33: May 03, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »
There was a couple that used to live in a basement apartment a few houses down the block who had a pair of Danes...so it can be done.  Granted they got sick of the city and moved back to Vermont after 6 months or so.  

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #34: May 03, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
Had a game of ultimate frisbee stopped recently when we saw someone walking their Dane in a townhouse complex.  The Dane saw the frisbee and wanted to play and none of us dared not letting the friendly monster do whatever it wanted.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #35: May 03, 2010, 02:23:37 PM »
Ya some big dogs need less exercise and can be fine in apartments, like Mastiffs but I really want a big dog that doesn't shed and thus my options are extremely limited. I've had German Shepards before so I want a Giant Schnauzer because they are very intelligent, can be well trained, obedient, and are active like a German Shepard but don't shed all over the house.

Have you considered a Vizsla?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #36: May 03, 2010, 02:23:56 PM »
:lol: Great Danes are humongous. They seem so awesome though.

I'm jealous. Never had a dog growing up but I always wanted one. My mother had a bad experience with a dog and has been "traumatized" ever since. I can't wait till I get my own place after college. I'm going to buy a puppy and keep it all the way... At least thats the dream ;)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #37: May 03, 2010, 02:25:39 PM »
Never had a dog growing up but I always wanted one.

That explains your brother but how is it you turned out more balanced?  :lol:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #38: May 03, 2010, 02:26:37 PM »
Someone adopted the German Shepherd I was looking at. nages.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #39: May 03, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
Have you considered a Vizsla?

Hmm...I'm vaguely familiar with them but I'm not sure how much they shed in comparison to Giant Schnauzers (which don't really "shed" but lose hair like a human). I also had a lab (awesome dog) and a german short hair pointer growing up so I'm familiar with the high energy retreiver type dogs. I really like the looks of Weimaraners also, so I'll probably do a little reading on the Vizsla, have you ever had one? I'm unsure after initally reading about how they can be shy or sometimes overly cautious in certain situations.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #40: May 03, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
No but I'm somewhat familiar with the breed. A lot of that has to do with how you train them in the early stages. The ones I've know were very active and extremely affectionate.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #41: May 03, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »

Weimaraner.  That's what I want if I ever get a dog.  That or a Retriever.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #42: May 03, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »
Nice looking dog.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #43: May 03, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
Nice looking dog.

From what I understand, very loyal and very caring dogs.  Great with kids, too (if you have kids).

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #44: May 03, 2010, 03:08:48 PM »
From what I've read about Vizslas and know about Weimaraners, they both seem to be very very similar dogs. Obviously they vary in color, but other than that seem to be pretty comparable. I've always loved Weimaraners, great looking dogs.

Vizsla                                                 

Weimaraner

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #45: May 03, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
Go to Animal planet site under DOGS 101.  I watch it on TV all the time.  It will give youinfo on breed, temperament,  grooming and health issues.

Of course, a good shelter mutt can be a good fit too.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #46: May 03, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »
Go to Animal planet site under DOGS 101.  I watch it on TV all the time.  It will give youinfo on breed, temperament,  grooming and health issues.

Of course, a good shelter mutt can be a good fit too.

Agreed, it's a pretty good show especially if you are thinking about getting a dog sometime in the near to distant future and aren't sure which one to get. It's also very interesting to learn about different breeds.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #47: May 04, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »
The Dogs 101 husky profile was very good and accurate.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #48: July 06, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »

I'm going out to Maryland in about a week to look at a bull terrier puppy. Same colors as the one in the picture. It took me a long time to figure out which breed I wanted, but I always liked the look and personality of the bull terrier.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #49: July 06, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
I still want this: