Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50735 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Morse or LaRoche
« Topic Start: October 22, 2012, 10:31:48 AM »
First off, I was going to include both as an option but I thought limiting it to only one or the other would gauge a better response.

So if it came down to it, and we could only keep one of them to play first base, who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche just came off of a fantastic season but this strong first half was an anomaly when comparing it to his career numbers. The strong start may be a sign that his injury problems are a thing of the past and that he now may put up these numbers regularly. He also has gold glove defense at first base. LaRoche is also a left handed bat in the lineup.

Michael Morse had his career season a year ago. He looked to do that again this year but he was injured for the first half of the season. His final numbers on the year suggested that he could possibly match his 2011 year but the injury held him back. Morse's defense at first base was serviceable, but still lacked what LaRoche has.

My option is definitely Adam LaRoche but I could have it either way. I also think Morse could net us something good if we were to trade him. I like Morse's bat but that defense in left field is just an eyesore. I like both of them so it's hard to choose... and having them together again wouldn't be bad but that defense needs some work.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #1: October 22, 2012, 10:40:25 AM »
Morse.

Sell High on Laroche.

I dont believe that he will repeat 2012.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #2: October 22, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »
We need ALR's lefty bat. But not for three years. That way we can work in Moore after letting him play LF for two years.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: October 22, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »
Morse.

Offer ALR a contract that will get us a compensation pick in the draft. Moore can play LF next season. If his bat stick, he can move to first base after Morse is gone.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #4: October 22, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
I need Take On Me. I'm irrational about this. I'd sacrifice wins to keep that going. I'm not kidding.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #5: October 22, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
I like the idea of Moore taking over LF if we needed him (unless we sign/trade for somebody ;) ).

Also, Take On Me is really cool... maybe LaRoche can just switch to that lol

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #6: October 22, 2012, 11:07:56 AM »
LaRoche, I think it would be much easier to replace/upgrade Morse. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #7: October 22, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »
Where's the "Keep both" option?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #8: October 22, 2012, 11:25:00 AM »
Where's the "Keep both" option?

read the first line of the OP.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #9: October 22, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
read the first line of the OP.

:rant: :asplode:

Keep Both Keep Both Keep Both

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: October 22, 2012, 11:31:39 AM »
Sell both, no brainer.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: October 22, 2012, 11:35:23 AM »
SF may be on to something.  Settle quickly with ALR on 2 years with an option for a 3d or else just give him the qualifying offer ($13.3MM).  Then, if he tests the market and wants to come home on our terms, OK. Otherwise, pocket the pick.  If folks are sold on Moore (I'm not yet), then move Moore to first, deal Morse too, and get yourself a real outfielder.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #12: October 22, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »
SF may be on to something.  Settle quickly with ALR on 2 years with an option for a 3d or else just give him the qualifying offer ($13.3MM).  Then, if he tests the market and wants to come home on our terms, OK. Otherwise, pocket the pick.  If folks are sold on Moore (I'm not yet), then move Moore to first, deal Morse too, and get yourself a real outfielder.
That's what I would do. Go with Tyler Moore at 1B, let LaRoche go and save the money and get the pick. Trade Morse in a package for a real OFer or a quality SP and then sign a FA OFer (not Bourn).

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #13: October 22, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
Morse.

Sell High on Laroche.

I dont believe that he will repeat 2012.

LaRoche cannot really be "sold" - he has a mutual option or becomes a free agent. I don't think that the Nats would work with LaRoche on taking the mutual option and then turn around and deal him. Potential future free agents and their agents probably wouldn't find that very attractive.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #14: October 22, 2012, 11:56:11 AM »
I need Take On Me. I'm irrational about this. I'd sacrifice wins to keep that going. I'm not kidding.

Ditto.  Laroche's power lefty bat can be replaced by harper next year

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #15: October 22, 2012, 12:07:19 PM »

:rant: :asplode:

Keep Both Keep Both Keep Both

Absolutely. Getting rid of either would further deflate me and make me do rational things......like get a life rather than spending half my waking hours on this freakin' web site.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #16: October 22, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »
The Nats won 98 games despite position players besieged by injuries all year, a 19 year old Harper and a TJ recovering (erratic in the 2nd half), innings limited Strasburg.

Next year you get a 20 year old Harper (OMG :az: ) and an unfettered Strasburg - why would you want to mess with anything else?

The worst thing the Nats can do is treat game 5 like anything other than a tortuous fluke. Decide what you're going to do with Ejax (5th starter) and tweak the Pen, that's it, that's the list.

Do not make any other big changes. Keep both.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #17: October 22, 2012, 12:22:02 PM »
I think Morse is more likely to bounce back than Laroche is to repeat his 2012, plus Laroche will cost a multi-year investment. I'm inclined to keep both.

At this point I trust Rizzo, so I'm not really going to worry about it.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #18: October 22, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
Do not make any other big changes. Keep both.

:clap: couldn't put it any better. They were both important members of this team this year, why remove either of them unless LaRoche costs an absolute fortune?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #19: October 22, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »
If we had to pick one, I go with Adam LaRoche.

End of the day it is a complex issue.

Adam LaRoche carried us early in the season offensively. Had he come out of the gate slow, we don't make the playoffs. Throughout the season he provided timely hitting and was a guy who was a lineup stalwart. He was an experienced voice on a young team. Is he likely to repeat this season? Probably not. Is he capable of having another gold glove year where he plays 150+ games, hits 25+ homers, and is good protection for Zimmerman? Yes. Most certainly yes. The Nats need to offer him a competitive contract. Low balling him after he played such an integral part would start the offseason with a very bad taste. If he is willing to return on a reasonably well paid yet short term contract, you bring him back.

Michael Morse has become extremely under valued on this board. He is cheap. He was a huge piece on the 2011 team that really was a sign of things to come. He is two years off a 31 homer, .300+ year. Those guys aren't easy to find. This past season started off with an injury and he still finished with a respectable .291 average and 18 homers. Is he a good LF? No, but his bat compensates. Morse has tons of power. He is explosive at the plate. He can play 1B if needed. If he comes back next year there is a good chance he could hit 30+ home runs. Some people are treating him like a liability, but he is anything but. He carried the 2011 offense and then this year was the best left fielder on a 98 win team.

If you move Michael Morse, it has to be a solid return. If you let Adam LaRoche walk, you have to be prepared to bring in a quality CF (move Bryce to LF) so that Morse can move to first base.

I like Tyler Moore, but it is crazy to think that he is ready to be an every day player on a team that should be aiming for 100+ wins and a championship. 263/.327/.513 with 10 homers by a 25 year old profiles as a valuable bench bopper, not a guy you want to make a starter.

Letting Morse or LaRoche walk with Tyler Moore being the replacement plan is a step backward. We're trying to win a championship next year. If we let quality walk, we need to bring quality back.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #20: October 22, 2012, 12:53:52 PM »
At this point I trust Rizzo, so I'm not really going to worry about it.
Yup.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #21: October 22, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
If you let Adam LaRoche walk, you have to be prepared to bring in a quality CF (move Bryce to LF)

Why? Why can't we leave Harper in center and bring in a power hitting leftfielder?

But either way it just begs the question, why bother?  On one hand: let LaRoche walk, move Morse to First, acquire an outfielder. On the other hand, stay with what you have.    In the first case we give up something valuable, in the second case we don't, and either way we end up about the same.   So why bother? Why not keep it the way it is.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: October 22, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »
For those who say, "keep both," the big question is, how big a contract are you willing to offer ALR in order to make it so?  Years and dollars.  The mutual option will not be exercised by both sides. If it were, I don't think there would be a person who objects.   The qualifying offer for compensation is 1 year, $13.3MM. 

Also, for those who say keep both, implicit in that is the belief that Morse's bat makes up for his defense in LF.  You might get an argument about that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23: October 22, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »
Today's Boz chat:

This is the Nats biggest issue, by far. Bigger than any free agent signing. This is a generally weak free agent class, imo. Those who are good have some serious odinjury, age or makeup issues. Aside from Josh hamilton, LaRoche is the best LHed power bat. He sure picked the best possible year to be slightly above his previous best __but not out of line with his career norms. Per 162 games, LaRoche has averaged 27 homers and 93 RBI for his career. But nobody except Cal Jr actually plays 162 every year. So, it's lower. But LaRoche hit .271 with an .853 OPS this year and his career numbers are .268 and .820.

This is really a tough call. He and the nats really like eachother. His defense helps everybody. His LHed bat gives balance to a lineup that needs it. OTOH, a lot of the Nats RH hitters don't have much troulke hitting RHed pitching. So the "lefty power bat" angle isn't as big as it seems. But it's big to Davey. Lots of rival teams said the Nats were tough because of their L-R balance in both pitching and hitting.

The Nats have exclussive negotiating rights with him until 5 days after the World Series. That's the time frame in which they really need to try to get this done if they seriously want him. Once you're "free" and in demand, few players end up coming back to their old teams. Yes, you can spend the LaRoche Money in some other way. But he certainly is a good fit, probably for at least two years. His best "comparisons" are to LH hitters with similar numbers at 32 who aged well, like Paul O'Neill and Tino Martinez. B ut there are a lot that didn't age well or still hit when they were healthy, but didn't stay healthy.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #24: October 22, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »
Morse.

Sell High on Laroche.

I'm the other side of this coin.