Author Topic: Taking a look back at the 2003 Baseball Prospectus guide on Twitter  (Read 429 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Found this pretty cool Twitter feed today. It's from a fan that found an old 2003 BP guide. Here's his tweets. This is not to mock BP as much as it is to show just how little even the top talent evaluators truly know about who is going to pan out.

https://twitter.com/#!/2003bpro

2003bpro

"(Chris Carpenter) instead signed for the major league minimum with St. Louis, where he may thrive working with Dave Duncan."

Just maybe.

2003bpro

"(Cliff Lee) is pure stuff at this point, with his control coming and going."

I think he found that control.

2003bpro

"Considering Mathis is in this organization (Mike Napoli) will have to be a little lucky to get the playing time he'll need to develop."

Too bad Scioscia agreed.

2003bpro

"(Rich Harden) might be the best pitching prospect in baseball, with apologies to Foppert and Heilman."

Who in the hell is Foppert?

2003bpro

"As a Red Sock, (David Ortiz) is every bit as nifty a pickup as Jeremy Giambi."

I'd say so.

2003bpro

'it wouldn't surprise me if (Prince Fielder) were to hook up with a conditioning guru, become a Gabe Kapler-like hard body and end up an OF'

Gabe Kapler, he is not.

2003bpro

"The problem is who do you replace Jeter with at SS? You can forgive the Yankees for ignoring the problem, although his defense killed them"

He's been hated for his defense for nearly a decade now.

2003bpro

"A good sophomore season is a must if (Nick Johnson) wants to avoid growing up to be a Washington Expo"

If only he wasn't made of glass.

2003bpro

"Here's the dirty little secret about Livan Hernandez: he's never been all that good."

Still 'bringing' it nine years later.

2003bpro

"Beckett doesn't have a history of blisters...Look for a full-strength season in 2003 and some enjoyable Beckett-Prior duels down the road."

Poor Prior.

2003bpro

"(Heath Bell) might yet make it to the majors, but he's not going to rack up saves."

3 years / 27 million says you're wrong.

2003bpro

"And because he's managed to keep his starters unusually healthy... (Dusty Baker) hasn't had to mess with his rotations for injury reasons."

I don't think this will end well.

2003bpro

"Joe Mauer and Victor Martinez may be getting all the prospect press but Jeff Mathis isn't far behind them"

What a bizarro world it must have been when Jeff Mathis was considered a top flight prospect.