Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 50764 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #125: October 31, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
The GG also makes ALR more attractive to bidding teams.

:funny: I would hope front offices dont rely on gold gloves to scout a free agent's defense

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #126: October 31, 2012, 09:44:53 AM »
I'd hate t5o give ALR 3 years, but that looks like the direction we are going in. I'll give Rizzo the benefit of the doubt on it I guess.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #127: October 31, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »
I read this morning that ALR is seeking anywhere between 33-36 mil over three years.

And that was likely before the gold glove was announced.  His value undoubtedly increased.  I agree, sign him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #128: October 31, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
They'll regret anything past two years for either LaRoche or Morse.

Online aspenbubba

« Reply #129: October 31, 2012, 10:10:31 AM »
:funny: I would hope front offices dont rely on gold gloves to scout a free agent's defense

Just good PR when they announce the signing

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #130: October 31, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
Pretty much everyone can be traded at some point - no matter what the situation or the size of the contract. If it takes 3 years to keep ALR now, do it. Deal with whatever issues and concerns you have down the line IF they arrive.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #131: October 31, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »
Pretty much everyone can be traded at some point - no matter what the situation or the size of the contract. If it takes 3 years to keep ALR now, do it. Deal with whatever issues and concerns you have down the line IF they arrive.

Ok but be prepared to see Morse traded.   If Mr. Goodwin is really on pace to claim centerfield by midseason there will be no room for Morse if Laroche is still around.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #132: October 31, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »
I think what this comes down to is redundancy, if it is a question of one or the other.

If Goodwin pushes and T-Mo continues to impress than Morse is redudant, by way of T-MO

ALR is not made redundant by anyone on this roster or in our system. I also dont see many options in Free Agency that would be a better buy. There are lefty Power bats available, and we could have someone else play 1B, but I think you will have to overpay those bats as well. If you are going to overpay, overpay one of your own.

** Edit - Goodwin really does not have to push for Morse to be redundant, but he does have to push for us to have to make a decision, this team can support Morse and Moore on the same team, worked fine in 2012

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #133: October 31, 2012, 11:04:26 AM »
Ok but be prepared to see Morse traded.   If Mr. Goodwin is really on pace to claim centerfield by midseason there will be no room for Morse if Laroche is still around.

Why?

Goodwin is a 2014 prospect - We can jump off that 2014 bridge with Morse when we come to it

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #134: October 31, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »
We need to get rid of both for prospects so that we can start building for 2015. :couch:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #135: October 31, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »
Goodwin is a 2014 prospect

And Harper was a 2013 prospect.

I'm not comparing Goodwin to Harper.  But others are.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #136: October 31, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »

A 3 year contract on ALR projects to be REALLY bad in year 3 especially since most contracts are backloaded.  I wouldn't just assume that's a tradeable contract by any stretch especially since the Dodgers already have Adrian Gonzalez so probably can't be fooled into taking ALR's contract.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #137: October 31, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
A 3 year contract on ALR projects to be REALLY bad in year 3 especially since most contracts are backloaded.  I wouldn't just assume that's a tradeable contract by any stretch especially since the Dodgers already have Adrian Gonzalez so probably can't be fooled into taking ALR's contract.

Now that offering arbitration (hence the players desire for a large number in the final year)  isn't the basis for Draft compensation,  I wonder if we start seeing more front loaded (expensive early,  but very valuable trade chip in the out years)  or balanced contracts

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #138: October 31, 2012, 12:16:08 PM »
I think what this comes down to is redundancy, if it is a question of one or the other.

If Goodwin pushes and T-Mo continues to impress than Morse is redudant, by way of T-MO

ALR is not made redundant by anyone on this roster or in our system. I also dont see many options in Free Agency that would be a better buy. There are lefty Power bats available, and we could have someone else play 1B, but I think you will have to overpay those bats as well. If you are going to overpay, overpay one of your own.

This is my thinking too.  LaRoche is the perfect fit for the Nats right now. Moore makes Morse redundant already and if Goodwin actually makes the team in 2013, Morse is really unnecessary.
Don't expect Goodswin will be up all that quick, but who knows?  Get the wallet out, Mike. Try to front load the contract.

** Edit - Goodwin really does not have to push for Morse to be redundant, but he does have to push for us to have to make a decision, this team can support Morse and Moore on the same team, worked fine in 2012

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #139: October 31, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
And that was likely before the gold glove was announced.  His value undoubtedly increased.  I agree, sign him.

I gotta think most front offices aren't so dumb anymore, as to let a GG influence their much more comprehensive player evaluations.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #140: October 31, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
I gotta think most front offices aren't so dumb anymore, as to let a GG influence their much more comprehensive player evaluations.

Agreed. However, LaRoche's GG is deserved and most people know that. He's probably the biggest reason Desmond turned in to a good fielding SS. How many of those throws did he dig out this year?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #141: October 31, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »
Unless one is talking about the Marlins

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #142: October 31, 2012, 12:45:37 PM »

If it's "That' bad, then you just release him. There's no salary cap - if it's year 3 of a 3 year deal - meh - I'm not so worried

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #143: October 31, 2012, 12:47:21 PM »
I read this morning that ALR is seeking anywhere between 33-36 mil over three years. I say give it to him by Saturday. We spent 11 mil on EJax and got average results that could have been easily equaled by Lannan at 5 mil.The GG also makes ALR more attractive to bidding teams.

+1

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #144: October 31, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »
And Harper was a 2013 prospect.

I'm not comparing Goodwin to Harper.  But others are.

Goodwin is not Harper, he will not make the team out of spring training. He will be a September call up next year and if all goes well a probable starter in 2014. 

Besides, the only reason Harper was up as early as he was was because of injury. Remember we had DeRosa and Ankiel as our outfielder's for weeks at at time in 2012, that's not the problem coming into this year - we have Werth, Harper, Morse, Moore & Bernie

Goodwin will be a 2014 prospect

Offline Ray D

« Reply #145: October 31, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
Goodwin is not Harper, he will not make the team out of spring training. He will be a September call up next year and if all goes well a probable a starter in 2014. 

Well we'll just have to revisit this next June. 

Of course he won't make the team out of spring training.  Neither did Harper.   When Harper was called up, most of us thought he wasn't staying up.  Harper's surprising success could make the decision to bring Goodwin up easier.  Based on his performance this fall it's a safe conjecture that he'll start at AAA, and, as soon as there is an injury, just might get a call.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #146: October 31, 2012, 02:21:15 PM »
Well we'll just have to revisit this next June. 

Of course he won't make the team out of spring training.  Neither did Harper.   When Harper was called up, most of us thought he wasn't staying up.  Harper's surprising success could make the decision to bring Goodwin up easier.  Based on his performance this fall it's a safe conjecture that he'll start at AAA, and, as soon as there is an injury, just might get a call.

Harper is a once in a generation prodigy. He had the best season for a teenager in history. Everything about him is different, advanced, special, etc.  There really is no comparison

Anyway, the point is Harper was forced up because of injury and lack of depth - The Nats really don't have that problem anymore, unless all of Morse, Moore, Bernie (GOD FORBID) get injured - I don't see any way they accelerate Goodwin's clock and bring him up before September.

But ... I'm sure we'll find out soon enough ...  :shrug:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #147: October 31, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »
Harper is a once in a generation prodigy. He had the best season for a teenager in history. Everything about him is different, advanced, special, etc.  There really is no comparison

Anyway, the point is Harper was forced up because of injury and lack of depth - The Nats really don't have that problem anymore, unless all of Morse, Moore, Bernie (GOD FORBID) get injured - I don't see any way they accelerate Goodwin's clock and bring him up before September.

But ... I'm sure we'll find out soon enough ...  :shrug:

they don't all need to go down- if Harper goes down, and Bernie can't hack it as an every day player, you either have the worst outfield defense in the league with Moore/Werth/Morse, or you call him up

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #148: October 31, 2012, 02:33:59 PM »
they don't all need to go down- if Harper goes down, and Bernie can't hack it as an every day player, you either have the worst outfield defense in the league with Moore/Werth/Morse, or you call him up

Yes, but they won't be the only players who can fill in in the outfield - Lombo has even played out there. And Eury Perez would almost certainly be called up before Goodwin

Regardless, I would be absolutely shocked if Goodwin is up before September.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #149: October 31, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
I read this morning that ALR is seeking anywhere between 33-36 mil over three years.

i'd pass.  once it gets to saturday, rochie is as good as gone.