Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier.  (Read 76386 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Space. The Final Frontier.
« Reply #925: October 18, 2016, 12:56:49 PM »
i could get you an etch-a-sketch

Cool    :)

I don't have a need to be "connected".

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #926: October 21, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »
The peak for the Orionid meteor shower will be this weekend, the last big meteor event it was rainy here but tonight should be clear and gorgeous, here anyway.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/everything-you-need-to-know-orionid-meteor-shower#where

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #927: October 21, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »
NASA found the ESA's Mars lander, likely destroyed, on the surface of Mars.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #928: October 21, 2016, 06:11:42 PM »
The peak for the Orionid meteor shower will be this weekend, the last big meteor event it was rainy here but tonight should be clear and gorgeous, here anyway.

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/everything-you-need-to-know-orionid-meteor-shower#where

We've got a front blasting through now that should clean the sky up real nice for the rest of the weekend.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #929: October 23, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
Ok, I need some expert opinions. While I almost think it's a fools errand, what is the best way to refute the "Van Allen Belt" reasoning that the Moon Landing was a hoax as well as the belief that radio signals wouldn't travel that far et al. A friend's husband is a full on hoax believer and all the googling I've done, granted it's only been this morning basically states that the science and math back up that it was possible and did happen. As well as the fact that the Soviet's admitted we did it and how could half a million people keep that hoax a secret?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #930: October 23, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
Ok, I need some expert opinions. While I almost think it's a fools errand, what is the best way to refute the "Van Allen Belt" reasoning that the Moon Landing was a hoax as well as the belief that radio signals wouldn't travel that far et al. A friend's husband is a full on hoax believer and all the googling I've done, granted it's only been this morning basically states that the science and math back up that it was possible and did happen. As well as the fact that the Soviet's admitted we did it and how could half a million people keep that hoax a secret?

Distract him by sayin', "Hillary Clinton".

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #931: October 23, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
Just ask him for his extra tin foil hat and go with the flow.

Offline imref

« Reply #932: October 23, 2016, 05:49:50 PM »
you will never convince him, move on with your life.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #933: October 23, 2016, 07:43:29 PM »
you will never convince him, move on with your life.

Right.  It's astonishing to me that so many people are so willing to sign up for bizarre conspiracy theories despite all evidence to the contrary.  Newtown Conn school shootings didn't happen.  911 was a US government plot. On and on.  Small minded people. 

Offline imref

« Reply #934: October 23, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »
Right.  It's astonishing to me that so many people are so willing to sign up for bizarre conspiracy theories despite all evidence to the contrary.  Newtown Conn school shootings didn't happen.  911 was a US government plot. On and on.  Small minded people. 

This is how Alex Jones makes his money. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #935: October 24, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »

Does he have GPS on his phone? Ask him how a GPS signal broadcast at 26 watts (from a solar powered satellite) can travel 12,000 to earth. Granted, that's 1/20th the distance from the moon, but the signal is much, much less directional, and his phone doesn't have a 34M parabolic antenna.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #936: October 24, 2016, 03:32:32 PM »
Does he have GPS on his phone? Ask him how a GPS signal broadcast at 26 watts (from a solar powered satellite) can travel 12,000 to earth. Granted, that's 1/20th the distance from the moon, but the signal is much, much less directional, and his phone doesn't have a 34M parabolic antenna.

Terpfan76's friend's  husband's head may explode.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #937: October 24, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
That's an alternative solution to the problem.

Terpfan76's friend's  husband's head may explode.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #938: October 24, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
That's an alternative solution to the problem.
Does the tin fool hat explode also?  Or does it live on?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #939: October 24, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »
Contains the mess for his wife. Leave it on.

Does the tin fool hat explode also?  Or does it live on?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #940: October 24, 2016, 04:10:01 PM »
Contains the mess for his wife. Leave it on.
Yuck.

Offline imref

« Reply #941: October 25, 2016, 07:38:42 PM »
early speculation is that the ESA's Mars lander had some sort of computer glitch that caused it to cut off its reverse thrusters 27 seconds too soon.  It started deploying its instruments while it was still speeding to the surface of Mars, thinking it had already landed.

http://www.nature.com/news/computing-glitch-may-have-doomed-mars-lander-1.20861

If true, that's a heck of a testing error.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #942: October 25, 2016, 07:55:36 PM »
No real world testing for this device.

early speculation is that the ESA's Mars lander had some sort of computer glitch that caused it to cut off its reverse thrusters 27 seconds too soon.  It started deploying its instruments while it was still speeding to the surface of Mars, thinking it had already landed.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #943: October 25, 2016, 07:59:05 PM »

No real world testing for this device.

I'm more of a right brain person but can/do they run tests on this type of thing?

Offline imref

« Reply #944: October 25, 2016, 08:38:15 PM »
I'm more of a right brain person but can/do they run tests on this type of thing?

computer simulations plus some real-world testing of mechanisms, but there's no way of doing a real-world test on the complete reentry process.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #945: October 26, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
I almost wish mars one wasn't a scam just to see how they'd react

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #946: October 28, 2016, 12:21:39 PM »

Frankly I stilly have trouble wrapping my mind around this one.  Technology is amazing.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #947: October 29, 2016, 10:06:51 PM »
Square waves. They stick out from all the natural background radiation. Whoever thought of that was a genius.

Frankly I stilly have trouble wrapping my mind around this one.  Technology is amazing.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #948: November 13, 2016, 05:32:05 PM »
Don't forget the "super moon".

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #949: November 14, 2016, 09:37:46 AM »
Don't forget the "super moon".

Finished a stiff hike in the GW Nat'l forest, then came in 66E as the moon rose directly in front of us and the sun behind us, spectacular.