Author Topic: Giants as World Series champs?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline bgbg

Giants as World Series champs?
« Topic Start: October 28, 2012, 12:39:23 AM »
Since the Nats beat the Giants 5 of 6 games this regular season, I just wonder how other Nats fans are reacting to SF winning another WS. I found myself rooting for the Tigers, but it seemed that layoff affected them and the Giants got hot at the right time.
It's kind of hard to take - sort of like the Redskins beating the Giants twice last season in the year NY won the Super Bowl. Except the Nats were closer to making the WS than the Redskins were to the SB, of course.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Giants as World Series champs?
« Reply #1: October 28, 2012, 01:56:04 AM »
In baseball, there's always going to be a team that had a lot of success vs. the team that ends up winning the championship.  It's not hard for me to take the Giants winning the World Series, it's hard for me to take how our season ended.  The rest is what it is.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: October 28, 2012, 01:56:30 AM »
Don't care. Nationals had their chance. They blew it. Move on.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #3: October 28, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
Anyone as long as its not the Phillies. I generally root NL ism the WS, but this year I would have rooted against the Cards. And freak the Yankees.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #4: October 28, 2012, 08:02:40 AM »
Since the Nats beat the Giants 5 of 6 games this regular season, I just wonder how other Nats fans are reacting to SF winning another WS. I found myself rooting for the Tigers, but it seemed that layoff affected them and the Giants got hot at the right time.
It's kind of hard to take - sort of like the Redskins beating the Giants twice last season in the year NY won the Super Bowl. Except the Nats were closer to making the WS than the Redskins were to the SB, of course.

It's a non-issue for me. I kind of look at the post-season as a totally different beast. Once you get in, you start all over again.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #5: October 28, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »
you just gotta get in the tournament.  They did, and it looks like they will win. 

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #6: October 28, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »
It's a non-issue for me. I kind of look at the post-season as a totally different beast. Once you get in, you start all over again.

Couldn't agree more.  The Cards are a good example both this year and last.  The Giants do not look at all like they did during the regular season.  They got hot at the right time and they're playing very well.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #7: October 28, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
SF winning another WS

After Detroit wins games 4 and 5, making it 3-2, how confident will you be about that?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #8: October 28, 2012, 09:43:23 AM »
I find myself thinking about how often the Nats beat the Giants, imagining the Nats at three games to none in the WS...and then I forget about it. When do pitchers and catchers report?

(And I'm hoping that Adam LaRoche and the Nats can agree to a contract)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #9: October 28, 2012, 10:07:01 AM »
Nats, Reds, and maybe the Barves were probably better than the Giants throughout the year.  But since they were down 0-2 against the Reds, the Giants have just been on a roll. 

But whatever.  Time to fire up the hot stove and then on to spring training. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #10: October 28, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
Our beating the Giants in July isn't like losing to the Cards in October.   The Giants have beaten the Reds, Cards and are on the verge of sweeping the Tigers, all in October.     The Giants are on the "roll" Tyler mentions.    The Giants earned the chance to win the series.    Give 'em props and get ready for spring training.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: October 28, 2012, 12:32:39 PM »
I just recall seeing the videos of Kevin Millar before Game 4 of the ALCS in 2004.  "They better not let us win tonight.  We  win tonight, we've got Petey going in game 5 and Schill in game 6."  The Giants need this game tonight more than folks think.  They should close the Tigers out with Cain on the mound v. Scherzer.  The Giants haven't ripped the ball this series, other than Game 1.  You think Verlander can come up with a good game if they get by tonight?

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #12: October 28, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
Why aren't the TIgers pitching Verlander tonight.  What happened to pitching 1-4-7.  We are a nation of wussies. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #13: October 28, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »
Where is Jim Kaat?  Someone needs to write Verlander a letter.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #14: October 28, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »
Didn't Cliff Lee refuse to pitch 1-4-7 recently? Pitchers nowadays are complete wusses.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #15: October 28, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
Didn't Cliff Lee refuse to pitch 1-4-7 recently? Pitchers nowadays are complete wusses.

Heard McCarver talking about Spahn/Mirachal going 16 innings each  ...  in the same game.   

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #16: October 28, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »

Got a source on that one?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #17: October 28, 2012, 08:02:34 PM »

What's the 1-4-7  :confused:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #18: October 28, 2012, 08:04:16 PM »

Games in a 7 game series.

Offline PC

« Reply #19: October 28, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »

First game - Fourth Game - Seventh Game...of the series

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #20: October 28, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »

It's 187 when sober.  :lol:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #21: October 28, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
First game - Fourth Game - Seventh Game...of the series

Makes sense. 3 pitchers in the rotation or you only start your star man on a 3 day rotation?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #22: October 28, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »
Makes sense. 3 pitchers in the rotation or you only start your star man on a 3 day rotation?

When you get to the Series, that's what your ace does.   It's what Strasburg will do next year  ... if we don't sweep.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: October 28, 2012, 08:26:14 PM »
Did any of the talking heads mention the long layoff before the series started?  I find it hard to believe that someone wouldn't have, but Joe Buck was going on during the pre-game about how everyone gave the Tigers the advantage before the series started, no one expected this, etc. etc.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #24: October 28, 2012, 08:26:17 PM »
When you get to the Series, that's what your ace does.   It's what Strasburg will do next year.

I'd hope so :P he's got to prove himself.