Author Topic: Current/Former Military  (Read 17059 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Current/Former Military
« Reply #225: March 21, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
He's some stupid Iraqi kid who probably wanted chocolate.  Because when it's so hot the soles of your boots melt on concrete, chocolate in your pocket is a great treat.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #226: June 12, 2013, 09:09:43 PM »
Warrior-Scholar Project sees Bulldogs take on, team up with veterans
As part of the Warrior-Scholar Project, members of the Yale football team took on a team of veterans in a pickup game early Wednesday morning at Clint Frank Field.

“They give so much for our country,” Rubino said. “And it’s nice to get to know these guys and put some faces to some heroes.”

It gave the players an opportunity to give back. The Bulldogs and veterans exchanged laughs, smiles and the occasional smack-talking. And for the 24 veterans, Wednesday morning was a nice break from the 14-hour academic grind they endured over the previous three days.

The veterans are in New Haven for the second Warrior Scholar-Project, an intensive two-week workshop which is designed to help with the combat-to-college transition. The project is part of Operation Opportunity, an organization started by former Yale player Jesse Reising.

The veterans take part in seminars and discussions led by Yale professors, and are challenged just as Yale students would be. They receive help with their writing skills. And Australian army veteran Chris Howell, along with Yale psychologists, help with the social transition.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #227: June 12, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
Warrior-Scholar Project sees Bulldogs take on, team up with veterans

I love stuff like that. We don't do nearly enough for our vets especially those who've seen combat. God bless all of our soldiers including the far too often forgotten men and women of the Coast Guard.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #228: June 13, 2013, 12:26:07 AM »
May 2008, Suwanniah, Iraq.  God-forsaken place.

Look at the time stamp on the photo....

Same Blood, Same Mud.... Now we definitely have to get a drink together.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #229: March 18, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »
Look at the time stamp on the photo....

Same Blood, Same Mud.... Now we definitely have to get a drink together.

:w:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #232: March 20, 2014, 07:36:37 PM »
So, contacted a AF recruiter about the CRO or STO programs in the Air Force. Let's see if I can get some no-bullcrap answers.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #233: March 21, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »
So, contacted a AF recruiter about the CRO or STO programs in the Air Force. Let's see if I can get some no-bullcrap answers.

Ultimately depends on the needs of the service. Ought to be the bottom line of whatever the recruiter says.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #234: March 21, 2014, 10:41:26 AM »
Ultimately depends on the needs of the service. Ought to be the bottom line of whatever the recruiter says.

I know. HOwever, I would like to know if you can get it in a contract to go to a specific school. Even if it's needs of the service, if you sign a contract saying you get specific job training, and you meet the requirements for that training, they have to give it to you. You may not do that job when you hit the operating forces, but they MUST give you that job training.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #235: March 21, 2014, 11:39:54 PM »
I know. HOwever, I would like to know if you can get it in a contract to go to a specific school. Even if it's needs of the service, if you sign a contract saying you get specific job training, and you meet the requirements for that training, they have to give it to you. You may not do that job when you hit the operating forces, but they MUST give you that job training.

Rule #1 of any branch of the armed services:

RECRUITERS LIE.

Don't trust anything they say even if you get it in writing.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #236: March 22, 2014, 02:12:12 AM »

RECRUITERS LIE.

Orly

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #237: March 22, 2014, 08:37:40 AM »

RECRUITERS LIE.

Around the time I got drafted, part of an Army recruiting slogan was "Choice not chance".    I remember sittin' around with the fellas one night and a young enlistee said, "Yeah, 'choice not chance'.    The Army makes the choice and you ain't gotta chance."     Never forgot that.    Of course, being a draftee negated my need to belittle recruiting slogans.   :P

Offline Galah

« Reply #238: March 22, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
I wanted to go into Military Intelligence, they sent me into the Corps of Engineers...worked out better than I thought.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #239: March 22, 2014, 07:49:33 PM »
I wanted to go into Military Intelligence, they sent me into the Corps of Engineers...worked out better than I thought.

The missus enlisted to be in MI   ....   probably a Ft. Meade kind of thing.    She ended up being a lab tech.   First at Ft. Lost In The Woods and then Walter Reed.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #240: March 22, 2014, 07:57:39 PM »

I enlisted in the Army Reserve as an MP and then went to OCS and was Commissioned in the Combat Engineers. 

I really enjoyed blowing things up!   :asplode:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #241: March 22, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »

Military intelligence, the original oxymoron. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #242: March 22, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
It's not just recruiters, my cousin left USC to go to Annapolis to be a pilot. He ended up preffing aviation first, marines second and he served on a cruiser until he could leave

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #243: March 23, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »
When I worked for the Defense IG, the Corp of Engineers were always the worst, in terms of financial errors and overpayments to contractors

Offline Slateman

« Reply #244: March 23, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »
Still nothing from said recruiter. Wow. I guess gone are the days where they were chasing bodies.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #245: March 24, 2014, 08:13:49 AM »
Still nothing from said recruiter. Wow. I guess gone are the days where they were chasing bodies.
thanks Obama?

Offline Galah

« Reply #246: March 24, 2014, 09:18:52 AM »
thanks Obama?
Next to hitting....the hardest thing in the galaxy, thanks Jayson.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #247: March 24, 2014, 03:14:39 PM »

My ex Sister In Law is pretty high up in the AF Recruiting CoC and use to be in the Maryland area. She is no longer there, but let me know if you would like me to reach out to her and see if she has a solid contact for you.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #248: March 24, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
Sure. Why not. Have a couple simple questions that I want answered before I continue the process.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #249: March 26, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
Cool, just shoot me a some specifics via PM. What the program you're going for is, what issues you are having, and the name of the recruiter you've been dealing with as well as which recruiting office you are going to. I would just like to be able to paint a clear picture for her when I ask.