Author Topic: Book Thread  (Read 50057 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Book Thread
« Topic Start: August 31, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
So, here is a place to tell everyone what you are reading, recommend books, ask for suggestions on a good read, or whatever.  I have a feeling my reading will increase a lot now that I can get books on demand from my couch (or other "seats" in the house) with my kindle.

I'm currently reading "The Sword of Shannara" recommended to my by someone who will go unnamed due to the shame of the sheer nerdosity of said book.  But I have no shame.  It's been a pretty good read so far.

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Buk Reedin' Thred
« Reply #1: August 31, 2010, 04:50:17 PM »
I pity your credit card. That kind of easy access is holding me back on a kindle

I'm currently reading Winnie the Poo because my wife feels that the fetus can hear us and that I need practice reading out loud

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2: August 31, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
I pity your credit card. That kind of easy access is holding me back on a kindle

I'm currently reading Winnie the Poo because my wife feels that the fetus can hear us and that I need practice reading out loud
A lot of free stuff on the kindle.  I got the Shannara trilogy, all 3 books, for less than $20 on the kindle.  So not that bad.  I'll probably try to alternate free classics in between buying books.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #3: August 31, 2010, 05:57:20 PM »

Try Dr. Seuss FOX IN SOX.  If you can read that tongue twister aloud you can read anything!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #4: August 31, 2010, 06:59:51 PM »

The fetus can hear. That's why the dog howling doesn't make my kid cry, it's familiar. Or so my wife says.

Anyway, you could read the newspaper if you wanted, she doesn't speak English yet.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: August 31, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »
Totally bang on.  It's a good thing Kindle books are for the most part quite cheap, because it is so easy to make impulse purchases at 2 a.m.  Ditto with iTunes.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #6: August 31, 2010, 07:56:39 PM »
Totally bang on.  It's a good thing Kindle books are for the most part quite cheap, because it is so easy to make impulse purchases at 2 a.m.  Ditto with iTunes.

And Steam, if you're a gamer.  They have fantastic sales all the time.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #7: August 31, 2010, 07:58:02 PM »
And Steam, if you're a gamer.  They have fantastic sales all the time.

Steam and Impulse are good for gamers.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #8: August 31, 2010, 11:24:40 PM »
Wheel of Time, best series ever (on tPoD). This is probably my 5th or 6th re-read of the series. Have any of you read it?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #9: August 31, 2010, 11:33:21 PM »
The mystery nerd was me. I'm reading the new Shannara book, it's like #30 or so.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: August 31, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »
Damn, I read the first Sword of Shannara book in my bunk bed wearing Peter and the Wolf fleece PJs

(and no, that was not last week)

The mystery nerd was me. I'm reading the new Shannara book, it's like #30 or so.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #11: August 31, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »
Damn, I read the first Sword of Shannara book in my bunk bed wearing Peter and the Wolf fleece PJs

He did something exceptionally clever in Armageddon's Children that sort of made it all worthwhile. M Night Shamalamadingdong had nothing on it.

Also, they split Sword into two books to make more cash :(

And I think I was in my bunk at Boy Scout camp the first time I read it.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #12: September 01, 2010, 01:18:12 AM »
A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME by Stephen Walker - about the 1969 Senators
Just finished it.

I took a children's lit class once.  The series starring with A WRINKLE IN TIME.  Could not put it down.

Oh, How could I forget?  THE ONLY WAY I KNOW.  It's an autobiography authored by the person my screen name is named after.  ;)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: September 01, 2010, 01:32:24 AM »
i know it's old, but i'm a third of the way through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance and I'm enjoying it.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #14: September 01, 2010, 01:38:43 AM »
Oh and if anyone sees THIRD BASE IS MY HOME by Brooks Robinson, let me know.
My copy got destroyed in the flood I had at my house.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #15: September 01, 2010, 01:39:29 AM »
A WHOLE NEW BALLGAME by Stephen Walker - about the 1969 Senators
Just finished it.

I took a children's lit class once.  The series starring with A WRINKLE IN TIME.  Could not put it down.

Oh, How could I forget?  THE ONLY WAY I KNOW.  It's an autobiography authored by the person my screen name is named after.  ;)

They are putting a stage version on of A Wrinkle in Time in Bethesda. Weird.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #16: September 01, 2010, 01:42:22 AM »
Probably Imagination Stage.  They use books for many of their productions.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #17: September 04, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »
So I was pretty pissed off when Hendel gets ripped to shreds by gnomes but had a feeling that he was still alive and the one coming up the path a little later in the book

Also, Allanon tumbling into the fire while fighting the skull-bearer is totally a rip off of Gandalf fighting the balrog.  Also, I'm pretty sure he, like Gandalf, isn't gone for good

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #18: September 04, 2010, 02:47:04 PM »
So I was pretty pissed off when Hendel gets ripped to shreds by gnomes but had a feeling that he was still alive and the one coming up the path a little later in the book

Also, Allanon tumbling into the fire while fighting the skull-bearer is totally a rip off of Gandalf fighting the balrog.  Also, I'm pretty sure he, like Gandalf, isn't gone for good

The first is beautifully written, but a LoTR ripoff in entirety. The 2nd is far more original, but the descriptions of the scenery and action in the 1st are amazing. They are toying with a movie of the 2nd book, it stands alone beautifully.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #19: September 04, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
The first is beautifully written, but a LoTR ripoff in entirety. The 2nd is far more original, but the descriptions of the scenery and action in the 1st are amazing. They are toying with a movie of the 2nd book, it stands alone beautifully.
What I bought has the first 3 books, correct?  Well, first 3 as published, I think there is a prequel too.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #20: September 04, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
What I bought has the first 3 books, correct?  Well, first 3 as published, I think there is a prequel too.

That's correct. There's 5 more separate trilogies in that universe after those 4, and I told you about Armageddon's Children.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #21: September 04, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
I'm kinda pissed off it's so busy today at work.  I brought my kindle expecting a slow day and to have time to be able to read.  I was up until 5 am last night reading.  The story is starting to really draw me in.  The kindle is amazing too.  It only takes a few minutes to completely forget your reading on an electronic device and lose yourself in the story.  It's like a "transparent" device.  It works so well that you don't think about the fact that you are using it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #22: September 04, 2010, 04:59:23 PM »
I'm kinda pissed off it's so busy today at work.  I brought my kindle expecting a slow day and to have time to be able to read.  I was up until 5 am last night reading.  The story is starting to really draw me in.  The kindle is amazing too.  It only takes a few minutes to completely forget your reading on an electronic device and lose yourself in the story.  It's like a "transparent" device.  It works so well that you don't think about the fact that you are using it.

Yup, it's daddy's magic book at my place. I always joke that my dad never had a book with gmail on it :lol:

The level of detail in that book just plain draws you in. Is the map included in the kindle edition? And the illustrations?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #23: September 04, 2010, 05:01:38 PM »
Yup, it's daddy's magic book at my place. I always joke that my dad never had a book with gmail on it :lol:

The level of detail in that book just plain draws you in. Is the map included in the kindle edition? And the illustrations?
There are some at the beginning.  Hard to see though.

Online blue911

« Reply #24: September 04, 2010, 05:05:05 PM »
There are some at the beginning.  Hard to see though.

You probably need to go to the iDoctor.  :D