Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier.  (Read 75488 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Space. The Final Frontier.
« Reply #75: August 17, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
Nope, science should NEVER be politicized. It's the fool-ass politicians that are causing the problem. Let's discuss like civilized human beings, instead.

Blame Al Gore for it then. I, for one, don't want to see something thats debated in politics take over this thread, even if it originates in space.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #76: August 17, 2011, 08:38:06 AM »
Blame Al Gore for it then. I, for one, don't want to see something thats debated in politics take over this thread, even if it originates in space.

I blame the coal industry, but whatevs, science is contentious. The fools in Congress just zeroed out the budget for JWST. :bang: That's like shooting science education in the head.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #77: August 17, 2011, 08:41:59 AM »
Blame whatever, both parties have brought the matter to attention of the nation and its become an annoying pissing match, which I felt like was about to happen when that second article was posted.

Edit: It also wasn't that the second article didn't prove anything, it was just that the first half of it seemed to bash the scientist from NASA while finally getting to the part when they give some facts to suggest otherwise.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #78: August 17, 2011, 08:47:14 AM »
Blame whatever, both parties have brought the matter to attention of the nation and its become an annoying pissing match, which I felt like was about to happen when that second article was posted.

Oh, sorry, the 2nd article was from Think Progress, that's a good point. HOWEVER, bunk science is bunk and I will call out charlatans like the Creation Science Institute every time. There's a difference between a real scientist with an unpopular opinion a fool with a piece of toilet paper from a diploma mill.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #79: August 17, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »
Oh, sorry, the 2nd article was from Think Progress, that's a good point. HOWEVER, bunk science is bunk and I will call out charlatans like the Creation Science Institute every time. There's a difference between a real scientist with an unpopular opinion a fool with a piece of toilet paper from a diploma mill.

True. I was just asking if we could move the discussion to politics but if yall want to discuss here since I respect the notion of "science shouldn't be politicized" then go ahead. Justlet me know when you guys finish.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #80: August 17, 2011, 08:56:18 AM »
True. I was just asking if we could move the discussion to politics but if yall want to discuss here since I respect the notion of "science shouldn't be politicized" then go ahead. Justlet me know when you guys finish.

Haha sorry I'll get off the soapbox, I think the discussion is pretty much over.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #81: August 17, 2011, 05:26:25 PM »
space station will be visible between 8:22 and 8:32 tonight over D.C. if the skies clear.

Online imref

« Reply #82: August 17, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »

the think progress article linked to three other scientists who all rebutted Spencer's work.   This is a good, non-political, rebuttal written by a few climate scientists:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/07/misdiagnosis-of-surface-temperature-feedback/

In all fairness, to avoid making this a political discussion I should have linked to the actual scientists instead of thinkprogress, I was just being lazy. :)

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #83: August 17, 2011, 05:31:20 PM »
I can hear the stem cells crying  :P

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #84: August 17, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »
space station will be visible between 8:22 and 8:32 tonight over D.C. if the skies clear.

i'll be @ nats game to watch it 8)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #85: August 17, 2011, 11:53:54 PM »
the think progress article linked to three other scientists who all rebutted Spencer's work.   This is a good, non-political, rebuttal written by a few climate scientists:

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/07/misdiagnosis-of-surface-temperature-feedback/

In all fairness, to avoid making this a political discussion I should have linked to the actual scientists instead of thinkprogress, I was just being lazy. :)

I had no problem with you linking a rebuttal article, its just the first half of the article was calling out the author instead of giving factual details.

Online imref

« Reply #86: August 17, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »
i'll be @ nats game to watch it 8)

well, you did get to see Air Zimmerman launch another into space.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #87: August 18, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »
That's not what that means AT ALL :spaz:

Offline PANatsFan

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #90: September 23, 2011, 01:20:04 AM »
Who wants to be the first person to test out a time machine they build with this info?

Wonder if you'll be treated like Jodie Foster in Contact?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #92: September 23, 2011, 04:09:27 AM »
I'm still confused (and drunk) about this.

So they traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light with a margin of error +/- 10 nanoseconds. Its amazing that we may have broken the most stable physics law ever but how do we put this into research? Can we harness this? Is there a way we could somehow create transportation vehicles to travel faster than light? Is there a way to travel in time? I'm just sort of trying to grasp what we can do with such groundbreaking facts.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #93: September 23, 2011, 04:57:33 AM »

So they traveled 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light with a margin of error +/- 10 nanoseconds. Its amazing that we may have broken the most stable physics law ever but how do we put this into research? Can we harness this? Is there a way we could somehow create transportation vehicles to travel faster than light? Is there a way to travel in time? I'm just sort of trying to grasp what we can do with such groundbreaking facts.
How do we harness it?  Dude, duh.  Dilithium crystals obviously :roll:  Didn't you learn anything from Star Trek?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #94: September 23, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »

Neutrinos are nearly massless, chargeless, and only interact through the weak nuclear force. Just detecting them at all is a technical challenge and they can only be detected indirectly. However, if information can travel faster than the speed of light, this opens up some badass ideas about communication. No time travel possible here, and certainly never to the future (the past is possible I suppose but I don't personally believe that you could do anything but observe).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #95: September 23, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
This is old science.   My buddies and I used to time travel all the time in the 70s.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #96: September 23, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »
I have traveled to the future and back twice. It made me the man I am today.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #97: September 23, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
I have traveled to the future and back twice. It made me the man I am today.

A Eunuch?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #98: September 23, 2011, 01:03:46 PM »

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #99: September 23, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »
Didn't somebody just post this yesterday?  Pretty cool, regardless.