Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 57256 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #350: June 15, 2015, 12:11:50 PM »
3/6 with an RBI, a run scored, and only one stupid error. We're still undefeated although last week when I didn't play they tied.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #351: June 17, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
It's not often you can say that your team played really well after a 14-2 loss, but I can.  The team we lost to went into the game with an 80-7 run differential in 7 games.  I'd say we were par for the course!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #352: June 17, 2015, 11:19:40 AM »
It's not often you can say that your team played really well after a 14-2 loss, but I can.  The team we lost to went into the game with an 80-7 run differential in 7 games.  I'd say we were par for the course!

last year my co-ed softball team went 0-6 and did not come within 15 runs of any team. good times.

we were a super casual team in a casual league that had 5 other teams made up of players who took it super seriously. freak that

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #353: June 17, 2015, 12:05:55 PM »
last year my co-ed softball team went 0-6 and did not come within 15 runs of any team. good times.

we were a super casual team in a casual league that had 5 other teams made up of players who took it super seriously. freak that
It took me five years to get a team competitive in one of those casual leagues. Fortunately there aren't many super serious teams in our pool.

We beat our rivals last week for the second time in the past 3 seasons. That was fun.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #354: June 17, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »

This is a 30+ mens league and the team we lost to last night were all playing together in the 18+ league just two years ago.  Now they're all 30-32 years old and former high school and/or college players.  My team is comprised of guys who just want to play some baseball and have a good time in the dugout.

To the opposition's credit, they didn't act like asshats.  They beat us soundly but never seemed like they were taking it easy on us or rubbing it in.  Just played good, clean, hard baseball.  They were serious but not super-serious.  I mean, we're the Bad News Bears for chrissakes.

I was just proud that our guys played hard enough to hang with them as well as any other team did this season.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #357: June 25, 2015, 10:24:49 PM »
Haven't been able to hit worth S since Memorial Day.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #358: June 26, 2015, 07:34:31 AM »
Haven't been able to hit worth S since Memorial Day.

Hit the cages!!   :P

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #359: June 26, 2015, 08:36:59 AM »
Hit the cages!!   :P
I did. It made it worse!

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #360: June 30, 2015, 10:14:29 PM »
Both my teams finished 6-2. The Men's team probably should have finished better than that, but we should still be fine. The coed team has had it's best season to date. Winners of five straight and finished in second place. Easily our best finish ever. Both teams are looking to be 3 seeds in the upcoming tournament.

Also, think I got my swing figured out. Was dropping my shoulder big time. Straightened that out and started barreling up again. Still not driving it like I'd like, but hopefully that comes back soon.

Offline whytev

« Reply #361: July 01, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
Last game was pretty ugly. 1/3 with a reached on error and a popped into double play. Scored a run. Made a really dumb error.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #362: July 07, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »
Lost 13-1 last night.  Had my first error of the season at SS. 

Went home to kick the dog in frustration only to find I don't own a dog.   :?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #363: July 19, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »
Playing in a Modified Pitch Softball Tournament in July.  This is gonna be interesting.
This was an awesome tournament. First thing to know, it was held in the smallest town I've ever been to. They had to chop down and bail the outfield so it wouldn't be a prairie field. We played the first game Saturday morning, but there was a rain storm that rolled through. Now, this isn't a normal field where there are games played regularly and is treated with drying compound regularly, it's used...for this tournament, so the field is dirt so when the rain stopped, it was just a mud pit, standing water everywhere. They tried to rake out the infield a bit, but it didn't do much good. They waited two hours. It was still a mud pool. But this isn't any normal tournament. This is a small town tournament. We played. In the mud. It was unlike any game I've ever played. We managed to squeek out the win. We had about five hours between the end of that game and our next one and by then the field had dried out. We rolled in the next two games and finished undefeated in pool play but lost the tiebreakers and entered the tournament portion of the weekend as the three seed.

Overnight, another rainstorm came through, this time it dropped another .8 inches on the field. The field was in even worse shape than yesterday, but c'mon now, this wasn't going to slow this town down. Play on they did. In the mud. They adjusted the rules from more traditional rules to Texas rules. In the mud. It really leveled the playing field. We were fortunate in that the team we were supposed to play in the quarters forfeited, so we advanced to the semis without having to risk anything. The other games were just a slop-fest. By the time we hit the field it had dried out a bit, it was more like wet potting clay at this point. We decided to be super aggressive and embrace the conditions. We rolled the first time we played, advancing to the championship. It was a tight game, scoreless through three. We got two in the fourth and in the fifth had a controversial call go our way. They couldn't regain their composure and we put up a five spot. It was academic from there and we closed out for the championship!

I didn't play a ton. I didn't hit well on Saturday and being the new guy, I didn't do enough to force my way into the lineup today, but it was still a fun weekend and they said I could come back next year. This was probably the most classic Amreicana thing I've ever participated in.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #364: July 21, 2015, 11:55:43 PM »
On my normal team, we played our best game of the year to advance to the semis. Have three games to win two for the title.

I switched up my approach at the plate, too. Seemed to help a bit. We'll see if it carries over to next week.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #365: July 22, 2015, 08:11:39 AM »
On my normal team, we played our best game of the year to advance to the semis. Have three games to win two for the title.

I switched up my approach at the plate, too. Seemed to help a bit. We'll see if it carries over to next week.
Good luck!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #366: July 23, 2015, 01:16:56 PM »
This was an awesome tournament. First thing to know, it was held in the smallest town I've ever been to. They had to chop down and bail the outfield so it wouldn't be a prairie field. We played the first game Saturday morning, but there was a rain storm that rolled through. Now, this isn't a normal field where there are games played regularly and is treated with drying compound regularly, it's used...for this tournament, so the field is dirt so when the rain stopped, it was just a mud pit, standing water everywhere. They tried to rake out the infield a bit, but it didn't do much good. They waited two hours. It was still a mud pool. But this isn't any normal tournament. This is a small town tournament. We played. In the mud. It was unlike any game I've ever played. We managed to squeek out the win. We had about five hours between the end of that game and our next one and by then the field had dried out. We rolled in the next two games and finished undefeated in pool play but lost the tiebreakers and entered the tournament portion of the weekend as the three seed.

Overnight, another rainstorm came through, this time it dropped another .8 inches on the field. The field was in even worse shape than yesterday, but c'mon now, this wasn't going to slow this town down. Play on they did. In the mud. They adjusted the rules from more traditional rules to Texas rules. In the mud. It really leveled the playing field. We were fortunate in that the team we were supposed to play in the quarters forfeited, so we advanced to the semis without having to risk anything. The other games were just a slop-fest. By the time we hit the field it had dried out a bit, it was more like wet potting clay at this point. We decided to be super aggressive and embrace the conditions. We rolled the first time we played, advancing to the championship. It was a tight game, scoreless through three. We got two in the fourth and in the fifth had a controversial call go our way. They couldn't regain their composure and we put up a five spot. It was academic from there and we closed out for the championship!

I didn't play a ton. I didn't hit well on Saturday and being the new guy, I didn't do enough to force my way into the lineup today, but it was still a fun weekend and they said I could come back next year. This was probably the most classic Amreicana thing I've ever participated in.

(Image removed from quote.)

:clap:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #367: July 25, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
Last night's game was a 45 minute drive for me and for most guys it was more than an hour.  So of our 21 roster players, only nine were able to make it.  We didn't exactly have our "A" team and we went into the game 1-12-1. 

Managed to pull out a win 8-5 and we had an 8-0 lead going into the last inning.

Played a flawless 3B (4 A, 1 PO) and went 2-for-4 with an RBI.

It was a very pleasant 45 minute drive home....   :clap:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #368: July 25, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »
Those are the fun ones!  :thumbs:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #369: August 03, 2015, 10:45:00 PM »
Fell short in the championship. Dropped two close games. I went against conventional wisdom in the seventh and decided to walk the only guy in their lineup who'd shown to the ability to go deep. I didn't want him to beat us. He came around to score the winning run. That sucked.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #370: August 04, 2015, 07:29:44 AM »
Fell short in the championship. Dropped two close games. I went against conventional wisdom in the seventh and decided to walk the only guy in their lineup who'd shown to the ability to go deep. I didn't want him to beat us. He came around to score the winning run. That sucked.

:(

Hey, you made it to the championship.  Must've felt good.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #371: August 04, 2015, 07:30:17 AM »
Three games in four days starting tonight.

I love having this many games to play when the Nats are playing like crap.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #372: August 14, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »
Play-in game tonight.  Win or go home. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #373: August 14, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »
Playing hardball tonight after months of slo-pitch softball. Pray for me.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #374: August 14, 2015, 02:08:38 PM »
Playing hardball tonight after months of slo-pitch softball. Pray for me.

No need to.  You should be praying for your softball team since this is the beginning of your new endeavor.  :clap: