Author Topic: Linux Thread  (Read 20602 times)

Offline NatsAddict

Re: Linux Thread
« Reply #100: January 25, 2010, 04:36:10 PM »
just wait until the 'itablet' releases- you'll see some plummeting.

That's Wednesday, isn't it?  It sounds like the tablet is going to be $1,000+.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #101: January 25, 2010, 04:55:55 PM »
That's Wednesday, isn't it?  It sounds like the tablet is going to be $1,000+.
It would be a huge mistake @ $1,000 if it is just a bigger iPod Touch.  If it runs full on OS X, I could see that price point, but not for a bigger iPod Touch.

I can't wait for Wednesday.  One, I like Apple products and following the Stevenote, and two, I'm getting tired of my newsreader being full of rumor posts about what is going to be announced.  There are seriously at least one or two a day on each of the tech blogs I read.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #102: January 25, 2010, 05:01:52 PM »
which tech blogs do you read?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #103: January 25, 2010, 05:56:12 PM »
It would be a huge mistake @ $1,000 if it is just a bigger iPod Touch.  If it runs full on OS X, I could see that price point, but not for a bigger iPod Touch.

I can't wait for Wednesday.  One, I like Apple products and following the Stevenote, and two, I'm getting tired of my newsreader being full of rumor posts about what is going to be announced.  There are seriously at least one or two a day on each of the tech blogs I read.

Both CNBC,  one of the local (Boca Raton) talking heads (MintTechnology), and Ziff Davis Publications,have it running full OS X, with a blue ray superdrive, and Intel Atom - basically being more of new Mac line.   ZD also has it running with both AT&T and Verizon, and speculates on a bluetooth keyboard & mouse with a stand to convert the tablet into a monitor.  MintTechonology nailed the iPhone 3Gs specs.

We'll soon see how close they came.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #104: January 25, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »
Blu ray + Atom = :|

I hope they've got a decent GPU in there to accelerate decoding if that's the case.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #105: January 25, 2010, 06:03:33 PM »
Engadget, TUAW, BGR, Gizmodo occasionally.

Blu ray + Atom = :|

I hope they've got a decent GPU in there to accelerate decoding if that's the case.
I don't know if I see them going Atom.  If they do they will probably at least have an Nvidia Ion, not some Intel junk.  I don't know if I see Blu Ray either since Steve Jobs called in "A bag of hurt".  I'd think they'd go with digital distribution from the iTMS.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #106: January 25, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »
Both CNBC,  one of the local (Boca Raton) talking heads (MintTechnology), and Ziff Davis Publications,have it running full OS X, with a blue ray superdrive, and Intel Atom - basically being more of new Mac line.   ZD also has it running with both AT&T and Verizon, and speculates on a bluetooth keyboard & mouse with a stand to convert the tablet into a monitor.  MintTechonology nailed the iPhone 3Gs specs.

We'll soon see how close they came.

I'm a huge mac fan, I have an iPhone, Mac... but this seems pointless. Is it a $1,000 kindle? Is it supposed to just be an internet reader? I'd personally rather a net book with a keyboard and a clamshell design. It just seems like they are trying to create a niche that might not be there

Offline The Chief

« Reply #107: January 25, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
I don't know if I see them going Atom.  If they do they will probably at least have an Nvidia Ion, not some Intel junk.

But aren't they in bed with ATI these days?

Offline PC

« Reply #108: January 25, 2010, 06:28:51 PM »
The Apple iPalette...There Will Be Dud.  :?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #109: January 25, 2010, 06:35:57 PM »
But aren't they in bed with ATI these days?
The MacBooks and Mac Minis use Nvidia, as well as the iMac's base integrated option.  The upgraded iMacs use ATI.  The Mac Pros use a Geforce GT 120 as the base with an optional Radeon HD 4870, so it's pretty much all over the place.

I do know that they were pissed at nvidia for a while with a lot of faulty graphics cards in the MacBook Pro line.  I just don't know how ATI's low power integrated chips compare to Nvidia's.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #110: January 26, 2010, 09:31:53 AM »
:rofl: I keep breaking my OS install by doing stupid crap, playing around with Linux and trying to figure it out.

thank god Puppy is so easy and painless to install. and re-install. and re-install.

think I'm going to stop trying to be fancy with my interface and just go with what is already there.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #111: January 26, 2010, 01:08:23 PM »
:rofl: I keep breaking my OS install by doing stupid crap, playing around with Linux and trying to figure it out.

Now you are a real linux hobbyist. I'd keep a GPartEd disk and a copy of your boot partition around, you WILL break it beyond bootability.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #112: January 26, 2010, 01:18:04 PM »
I thought the idea was to get the computer working serviceably, not break it repeatedly :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #113: January 26, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
Make another partition for another install.  Then you can have a main OS and the other one you can screw around with.

Just never be tricked into the following command, I've seen someone get tricked on a Linux forum before.

Code: [Select]
sudo rm -R /
it deletes everything on ALL of your mounted drives.  Luckily said user was banned for it, but too late for the victim who had to reinstall.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #114: January 26, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »
^^^  Ha, reminds me of people asking how to do something in an online game, and someone inevitably responds "hit ALT+F4"

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #115: January 26, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »
^^^  Ha, reminds me of people asking how to do something in an online game, and someone inevitably responds "hit ALT+F4"

oh that's a classic. I've been guilty of that once or twice in WoW. :rofl:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #116: January 26, 2010, 04:49:50 PM »
downloading the iso for a variation of Puppy right now. called a "puplet". cute name. it's basically a customized version of the Official Puppy distro.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #117: January 26, 2010, 04:53:28 PM »
downloading the iso for a variation of Puppy right now. called a "puplet". cute name. it's basically a customized version of the Official Puppy distro.
Macpup Foxy 3!!!!!!

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #118: January 26, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
Macpup Foxy 3!!!!!!

(Image removed from quote.)

not a mac guy.

I'm downloading Stardust 4.3.1. just need to figure out how to run it without burning it to a cd, cause i don't have a cd with me atm heh.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #119: January 26, 2010, 10:32:44 PM »
sweet. got the Stardust Iso burned to disc. gonna try it out now.

http://puppylinux.org/news/puplets/continuous-improvement-to-official-puppy-with-stardust-431/

97MB in its default install. good god, that's small for an OS. i'll probably be looking at 400MB or so by the time I am finished installing all the extra stuff I want, like Chrome, Wine, etc.  but 97MB to start for a default installation of a full OS is amazing.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #120: January 26, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »

I read Mashable every once in a while. but that's a Social Media blog.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #121: January 27, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »
Apple’s so-called “Jesus Tablet” has been described as the ultimate gadget: A netbook, e-book reader, movie player and games platform all in one. It’s going to revolutionize publishing, and education. No mention yet on solving Middle East peace, but surely it’s only a matter of time.
Khaleej Times

Offline The Chief

« Reply #122: January 27, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »
MS posted requirements for Office 2010 last week:

http://blogs.technet.com/office2010/archive/2010/01/22/office-2010-system-requirements.aspx

The long and short of it:

* If your current computer can run Office 2007, it can run Office 2010.
    * If you’re purchasing a new laptop or netbook, it can run Office 2010.
    * If you have a computer with a multi-core processor, it can run Office 2010 even faster.
    * If your computer is currently running Office 2003, it’s possible that it can run Office 2010 (check the requirements to be sure).

Haven't tried the beta yet personally but I've heard good things from people who have.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #123: January 29, 2010, 01:05:45 PM »
Anyone got a linux boot CD to recommend for XFS file recovery? I've got a drive with at least a couple year version of XFS that I am trying to extract data from for a friend. I was hoping to avoid trail and error.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #124: January 29, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »
Anyone got a linux boot CD to recommend for XFS file recovery? I've got a drive with at least a couple year version of XFS that I am trying to extract data from for a friend. I was hoping to avoid trail and error.

3 or 4 google searches led me here:

http://www.tux.org/pub/people/kent-robotti/looplinux/rip/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/recoveryispossible/

I think I'll keep one around just in case, or at least the iso on disk.