Author Topic: WIZARDS: Songaila Out For Three Months  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
WIZARDS: Songaila Out For Three Months
« Topic Start: October 31, 2006, 11:51:27 PM »
Wizards' Songaila to have surgery on herniated disc
Updated: Oct. 31, 2006, 4:08 PM ET
LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2644943

WASHINGTON -- Washington Wizards forward Darius Songaila will have back surgery for a herniated disc and be sidelined up to three months.

"I am very disappointed that I will not be out there with my new teammates," Songaila said in a statement on Tuesday. "I plan to work hard and look forward to getting back on the court. Unfortunately, surgery is my best option at this time."

The 6-foot-9 Songaila was injured while playing for Lithuania's national team at the world championships in August. He was sidelined during the preseason and didn't see improvement in his condition.

"We tried a number of methods of treatment and rehabilitation but have been advised by our medical staff that the best course of action at this time is for Darius to have this injury surgically repaired," Wizards director of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld said.

The Wizards travel to Cleveland for its season-opening game on Wednesday night.

Songaila was signed as a free agent this offseason after averaging a career-high 9.2 points and 4.0 rebounds in 62 games for the Chicago Bulls last season.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #1: November 01, 2006, 10:18:38 AM »
That stinks.  As long as nothing happens to my Celtics!

Oh yeah, they stink :)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: November 01, 2006, 10:33:30 AM »
I'm excited for the Wizards season opener against the Cavs tonight.  8 PM EST on ESPN (nationally televised) and CSN (locally televised).  I am still haunted by the memories of the Wiz VS Cavs playoff series last year.  Hopefully we can get some revenge.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #3: November 02, 2006, 04:09:57 AM »
FINAL in the Opener at the Quicken Loan Center:
Wizards 94
Cavaliers 97

Refs spoiled the season opener for Gilbert & The Wizards.  They repeatedly called offensive fouls on his aggressive play style which in effect took him out of the game.  He had three offensive fouls in the first half because of this.  He only scored seven points the entire game when his minimum last year was nine.  My point is highlighted by his high number of assists = 11.

Etan Thomas proved why he was chosen over Brendan Haywood.  He made some super blocks in front of the net.  Caron Butler too had a great game.  If it wasn't for Gilbert being hampered from charging the paint - we would have won that game easily.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: November 02, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »
Does anyone have any reason why Etan Thomas didn't play nearly at all in the 2nd half after the great 1st half?  Eddie Jordan can be real frustrating sometimes.

ncg1983

« Reply #5: November 02, 2006, 12:06:05 PM »
that game might as well been a continuation of the playoff series last year.  it was very similar (besides arenas not averaging 30+).

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #6: November 04, 2006, 09:52:02 PM »
FINAL in the Home Opener at the Verizon Center:
Wizards 124
Celtics 117

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: November 05, 2006, 11:27:07 AM »
Arenas was gold last night.  Good to see him bounce back with 44 after that mediocre first game.  Butler and Jamison were very solid as well.  The only thing that bothered me was that our defense sort of slacked off towards the end of the game.  It is great that we get a ton of steals but sometimes you just need to play your man.