Poll

Do you like the hiring of Davey Johnson for the next 1 1/2 years as manager of the Washington Nationals?

Yes
97 (78.2%)
No
27 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Do you like the Davey Johnson hire?  (Read 40879 times)

Offline RL04

Re: Do you like the Davey Johnson hire?
« Reply #175: June 29, 2011, 01:01:38 PM »
I feel like the team is in disarray with Davey Johnson at the helm.

The past is the past. DJ hasn't managed in a decade. I get a nasty feeling in my stomach watching him manage. It's like he's too detached.

McLaren and even Riggs (while they were here) gave this job everything they had and you could see it.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
As a former Mets fan I was thrilled in '86.
But DJ is just too old now.
Age happens.
I'm not confident this is going to work out well at all.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #176: June 29, 2011, 01:02:44 PM »
I saw the Davey Johnson interview last night. It was the first TV interview glimpse I've had of him. Wow, he has aged and he seems not to have much energy. I followed the Mets in the mid-'80s so I know him well.

If he his physically as bad off as he appears on TV, I don't think this will be more than a one year shot. Cue Legion of Doom.

Offline blue911

« Reply #177: June 29, 2011, 01:13:52 PM »
I don't recall Johnson ever being a high energy guy. He always had the quiet, thinker persona. But you never know until it plays out. For now, my moneys on the guy with the rings and career .560 winning pct.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #178: June 29, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
I don't recall Johnson ever being a high energy guy. He always had the quiet, thinker persona. But you never know until it plays out. For now, my moneys on the guy with the rings and career .560 winning pct.

No he never has been. He's going to be low key and deal with things in that matter. He's the right kind of manager if you want to have someone who actually knows what they're doing with players. He's the wrong kind of manager if you want some clown who thrown chairs and picks fights with umpires.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #179: June 29, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »
Johnson in the dugout has a look on his face as if he's clueless. He makes odd decisions. He seems like a senile old man when interviewed.

Don't let any of that fool you.  His mind is working faster than any or ours.  He's figuring it all out. It may take 5-10 games.  After that the team will catch on fire.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #180: June 29, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »
Johnson in the dugout has a look on his face as if he's clueless. He makes odd decisions. He seems like a senile old man when interviewed.

Don't let any of that fool you.  His mind is working faster than any or ours.  He's figuring it all out. It may take 5-10 games.  After that the team will catch on fire.

all the shots of the clubhouse, the guys are always listening to him or laughing with him, etc.  and everyone has praised him about his experience and what they've learned from him in spring, etc.

but that's not the point.  i really think people are freaking out b/c the team is 0-2. 

we really don't have a smart fan base (yet).

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #181: June 29, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »
Saw Davey in a few TV shots during the early innings of last night's game. Yes, he has aged. Good points: he has always been thoughtful, relaxed, has wry sense of humor.

Irrelevant issues (for the first week): how he manages a game. All managers do pretty much the same thing: pull a pitcher, send up a pinch-hitter, make late-inning defensive change. None of the results are absolutely predictable.

One question I have: what about the coaches? Do they have the solidarity they had a week ago, or during the McLaren "interregnum"? Do they all sense that they will lose their jobs at season's end? Do they have their focus on finding a new job?

Still, let's give this a month.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #182: June 29, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
Saw Davey in a few TV shots during the early innings of last night's game. Yes, he has aged. Good points: he has always been thoughtful, relaxed, has wry sense of humor.

Irrelevant issues (for the first week): how he manages a game. All managers do pretty much the same thing: pull a pitcher, send up a pinch-hitter, make late-inning defensive change. None of the results are absolutely predictable.

One question I have: what about the coaches? Do they have the solidarity they had a week ago, or during the McLaren "interregnum"? Do they all sense that they will lose their jobs at season's end? Do they have their focus on finding a new job?

Still, let's give this a month.

Agreed with everything you said but the very last statement.

If the Nats want to have any shot this year, they can't give it a month... things have to start clicking and soon... or the Nats will fall back out of the Wild Card race quickly.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #183: June 29, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
"Catch fire" meaning play to their level, which is not .600 baseball. We need to have reasonable expectations.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #184: June 29, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
"Catch fire" meaning play to their level, which is not .600 baseball. We need to have reasonable expectations.

"Catch fire" to me means end with 85 wins.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #185: June 29, 2011, 02:32:28 PM »
What's the baseline if 'catching fire' means 85 wins?  Most people predicted this team would win 70-75 games - and that was before losing LaRoche and Zim. 

As far as the playoffs go, I think they care much more about laying the groundwork for 2012 than they do about trying to get to the playoffs this year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #186: June 29, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »
I'm convinced with LaRoche in the lineup... the Nats never come close to being .500

He never showed anything... even if he was hurt, he didn't produce, at all.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #187: June 29, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »
LaRoche had a 1.2 WAR last year.

Morse has a 1.8 WAR so far this year, and that includes terrible defense in LF (he had a -14.4 UZR/150 there; 6.6 at 1B).

So basically, Morse as a 1B > LaRoche

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #188: June 29, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »
At seasons end I'll keep Porter and McCatty, the rest can go on.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #189: June 29, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »

Morse has a 1.8 WAR so far this year, and that includes terrible defense in LF (he had a -14.4 UZR/150 there; 6.6 at 1B).

So basically, Morse as a 1B > LaRoche

All of this.  If Morse keeps playing well and they trade him, I will rage.

Offline PterodactylKev

• you've been Clipped!
« Reply #190: June 29, 2011, 02:43:19 PM »

So basically, Morse as a 1B > an injured LaRoche

I would argue that Morse at first is better than a healthy LaRoche at first.  But until now we have only witnessed bits and pieces of Morse as a full time player.  This will be his first season where he plays everyday.  LaRoche has proven that he can contribute with an okay average and stellar defense year in and year out.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #191: June 29, 2011, 02:46:24 PM »
Yeah... add me to the group of ragers if they keep Magic Glove over Morse at years end.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #192: June 29, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »
Add me to the Morse > ALaRWH people. However,

If the Nats want to have any shot this year, they can't give it a month... things have to start clicking and soon... or the Nats will fall back out of the Wild Card race quickly.

You can't just fire Davey Johnson after two weeks. We'll look like a traveling carnival of circus freaks.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #193: June 29, 2011, 02:51:36 PM »
Yeah... add me to the group of ragers if they keep Magic Glove over Morse at years end.

I will indeed also rage.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #194: June 29, 2011, 02:54:51 PM »
I will indeed also rage.

Rage here as well.

Poll it !

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #195: June 29, 2011, 03:02:36 PM »
All of this.  If Morse keeps playing well and they trade him, I will rage.

...what if it's for someone like Mike Trout? ;)

Offline Ray D

« Reply #196: June 29, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »
What's the baseline if 'catching fire' means 85 wins?  Most people predicted this team would win 70-75 games - and that was before losing LaRoche and Zim. 

I think under Riggleman the team was on course to around 70 wins. 85 would be a huge difference, that would justify the 'catch fire' characterization. And I think Davey Johnson could pull it off.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #197: June 29, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
all the shots of the clubhouse, the guys are always listening to him or laughing with him, etc.  and everyone has praised him about his experience and what they've learned from him in spring, etc.

but that's not the point.  i really think people are freaking out b/c the team is 0-2. 

we really don't have a smart fan base (yet).

Not sure the fan base can be accurately represented by a couple of panicked voices on a fan forum.

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #198: June 29, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »
Rage here as well.

I, too, would rage.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #199: June 29, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »
Rage. I would truly rage, as well.

I, too, would rage.