Author Topic: Current/Former Military  (Read 17047 times)

Offline blue911

Re: Current/Former Military
« Reply #175: February 14, 2013, 08:48:46 AM »
which is fine, but exposure to actual danger seems like a prerequisite

Exactly.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #176: February 14, 2013, 09:16:40 AM »
I'm just going to say one thing about this and then shut up on the issue because I'll offend people from other branches, and of different political views. But I don't agree with this at all.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #177: February 14, 2013, 09:39:56 AM »
I never have understood why they put a V device on a Bronze Star....the only real difference between a Meritorious Service Medal and a Bronze Star is that you did good stuff while stationed in a Combat Zone in order to get the Bronze Star, papers still need to be pushed in a combat zone soldier.
...and don't think of this as just drone operators....intelligence analysts can accomplish their job just as easily back at Ft Belvoir as they can forward deployed (and given the need for a reliable source of power and enough air conditioning, you get better, more timely product leaving them at Ft Belvoir). This award goes to those folks as well.

Now I will follow Copecwby20's example and shut up

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #178: February 14, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
I never have understood why they put a V device on a Bronze Star....the only real difference between a Meritorious Service Medal and a Bronze Star is that you did good stuff while stationed in a Combat Zone in order to get the Bronze Star, papers still need to be pushed in a combat zone soldier.
...and don't think of this as just drone operators....intelligence analysts can accomplish their job just as easily back at Ft Belvoir as they can forward deployed (and given the need for a reliable source of power and enough air conditioning, you get better, more timely product leaving them at Ft Belvoir). This award goes to those folks as well.

Because officers like giving medals to other officers. A good friend of mine had to write a statement for this wook Lt. because they got into a firefight. All she did was hide inside while they were laying down hate and discontent and when all was said and done, she only submitted herself for a CAR and no one else got theirs, even though they were the ones slinging lead.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #179: February 14, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »
   More than anything, it is disrespectful to the people who do the face to face.

:w:

she only submitted herself for a CAR and no one else got theirs, even though they were the ones slinging lead.

Sounds about right.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #180: February 14, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »

Normally, the V signifies the award for an achievement directly in combat. As in, there I was, knee deep in bodies, when an RPG hit the humvee in front, and I ran in and yanked two guys out while the hajis were shooting all around me. Without the V, it's an award for my Ops O and Ops Chief for running a good Combat Operations Center (BTW, you guys are welcome for that. Not like I put the thing together, wrote the SOPs, and trained all of the enlisted how to do it :roll: ) But you don't have to be in a combat zone to get a Bronze Star. It's just a level of achievement. But, by and large, you are correct, BS come in combat zone.

I'm not saying drone operators don't deserve something. God knows, they've saved countless lives and have to deal with their own stresses and regrets from their missions. But to give an award that is higher in precidence than a Bronze Star is ... disrespectful, IMO.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #181: February 14, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
CNN discussing this issue next segment.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #182: February 14, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
CNN discussing this issue next segment.

I'm a Fox News man.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #183: February 14, 2013, 10:51:27 AM »
I'm a Fox News man.

Panel is pretty much panning the idea with the usual devolution into a political sideshow unlike Fox.   :)    There was a clip of Panetta trying to explain/justify the idea.   I come from the school that if you gotta explain it, I probably won't understand it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #184: February 14, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »
 :clap:
I've been out of the Army about 42 years..   I know things have changed.   However, I simply can't figure the rationale for this.   Even my inclination to be a smart ass on the subject is numbed.   The techies have taken over the Defense Department.   In a way I hope Hagel gets confirmed and as an old decorated grunt the first thing he says is, "WTF is this is bullcrap gentlemen?"    More than anything, it is disrespectful to the people who do the face to face.

Online Slateman

« Reply #185: February 14, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »
Like I said, I have no problem with them getting achievement or commendation medals. But .... wow ...

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #186: February 14, 2013, 02:02:24 PM »
[Tinfoil Hat]Interesting that this comes about just as the controversy regarding the use of drones on American citizens/soil is coming to a head. Lord knows those zoomies will do anything to add more bling to their uniforms and EPRs [/Tinfoil Hat]

Online Slateman

« Reply #187: February 14, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
[Tinfoil Hat]Interesting that this comes about just as the controversy regarding the use of drones on American citizens/soil is coming to a head. Lord knows those zoomies will do anything to add more bling to their uniforms and EPRs [/Tinfoil Hat]

Eh, more like Panetta being Panetta. He's been in love with technology from the start. Will be interesting to see if that former Army E-4 gets the nomination.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #188: February 14, 2013, 02:32:31 PM »
Eh, more like Panetta being Panetta. He's been in love with technology from the start. Will be interesting to see if that former Army E-4 gets the nomination.

It's coming from the top.  Panetta doesn't make these decisions.   Much of the Pentagon has been enamored with gadgetry for a long time.   I see it as another example of everybody gets a trophy.   

Being an ex-E4 myself, I'm pulling for the brother.   :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #189: February 14, 2013, 02:35:22 PM »
It's coming from the top.  Panetta doesn't make these decisions.    Being an ex-E4 myself, I'm pulling for the brother.   :)

I doubt the introduction of a random medal goes higher than the secretary of defense (we're not talking about replacing the purple heart or the medal of honor- the ones average people actually know/care about)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #190: February 14, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
I doubt the introduction of a random medal goes higher than the secretary of defense (we're not talking about replacing the purple heart or the medal of honor- the ones average people actually know/care about)

The attitude comes from the top in any organization.   Panetta is a team player.   He doesn't do a lot of freelancing.    Not to nitpick, I know a lot of people who care about Bronze Stars.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #191: February 14, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
The attitude comes from the top in any organization.   Panetta is a team player.   He doesn't do a lot of freelancing.

I seriously hope that the president has other things on his mind than creating new medals and slotting them in, besides, cabinet secretary is 'the top'

Offline mitlen

« Reply #192: February 14, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »
I seriously hope that the president has other things on his mind than creating new medals and slotting them in, besides, cabinet secretary is 'the top'

I must not be making myself clear.     I never wrote the President is making the decision and I ain't goin' to get in the weeds about it.

Online Slateman

« Reply #193: March 06, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
So uh ... like I'm toying with the idea of joining the Air Force and being a CRO

Offline eckseid

« Reply #194: March 06, 2013, 09:37:18 PM »
So uh ... like I'm toying with the idea of joining the Air Force and being a CRO

CRO seems like a good career field. I'm currently in the Air Guard and the Air Force is a great branch so far. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

Online Slateman

« Reply #195: March 06, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
I don't think I'll do it. I'm 6 months from being in good enough shape. And I'm 30, so I'm not exactly a spring chicken. By the time I got to deploy, it would be 2 years at the earliest, and  there wouldn't be any deployments.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #196: March 06, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
I don't think I'll do it. I'm 6 months from being in good enough shape. And I'm 30, so I'm not exactly a spring chicken. By the time I got to deploy, it would be 2 years at the earliest, and  there wouldn't be any deployments.

There will always be opportunities to deploy.     Nice choice if you go.   

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #197: March 07, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »
By the time I got to deploy, it would be 2 years at the earliest, and  there wouldn't be any deployments.

That's what I said in 1999 when I retired from the Army....guess I was wrong...

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #199: March 10, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »
"I walked passed my old recruiting station".

:smh: