Author Topic: MLB and Minor League Stadiums  (Read 1435 times)

Offline hammondsnats

MLB and Minor League Stadiums
« Topic Start: April 03, 2009, 11:41:03 AM »
I didn't see a thread that allows fans to discuss their stadium experiences, expectations and more, so what the hell.  (if there is a thread already, please feel free to delete this Mr. Chief).

What are everyone's thoughts on the new Mets and Yankees parks?  Shea was bland and while Citi towers over what Shea was, from the looks of it online, it's nothing that impressive.  Although that little corner in right field interests me ... it looks as if it's a lit up hallway or something with glass window acting as the wall.  Interesting. 

The new Yankees Stadium pays homage to the old one, looks nice, but I thought they could've gotten away with making some renovations to the old one.  Oh well.

I like the renovations made to the Royals ballpark.  A group of co-workers of mine took a trip down there this summer as part of a mid-summer baseball vaca, they said Royals ballpark ranks up there as one of the best parks.

As for me personally, I really do love Camden Yards (:spidernat bat signal:, come on buddy you can come back) ... I grew up going to that ballpark as a kid, it's a very special park. 

But at the same time, I was very happy with the first year of Nats Park and I have a good feeling about that Park as it should hold plenty of more awesome memories.  It's intimate but at the same time it's pretty spacious and tons of comfort room. 

I'm also a huge fan of Dodger Stadium.

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: MLB and Minor League Stadiums
« Reply #1: April 03, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »
Royals stadium has always been a great place to watch a game.  I'm hoping to get down there for a game this summer.  I'm excited to see what they've done with the place. 

I also loved my experiences at both St. Louis old and new Busch Stadium.  They really know how to do baseball there. 

I'm also partial to Rosenblatt Stadium, especially during the College World Series.  I know the place is falling a part a bit and that they're getting rid of it after 2010 but I worked there for 5 years and have been to more games there than anywhere else so it will always have a special place in my heart. 

Frankly, I've never had a bad experience at a baseball game.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2: April 03, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »
Royals stadium has always been a great place to watch a game.  I'm hoping to get down there for a game this summer.  I'm excited to see what they've done with the place. 

http://www.kansascity.com/984/gallery/1107695.html

some nice updates there

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: April 03, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #4: April 03, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
On Saturday, April 18th, I will be in Columbus at Huntington Park catching the home opener for the Columbus Clippers. I had a business trip, why stay and catch a couple games.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #5: April 03, 2009, 03:41:54 PM »
I'd like to throw in my (current) hometown stadium of Joseph L. Bruno Stadium - home to the Tri-City Valley Cats of the New York-Penn League:

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/troy/troy.htm#

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: April 03, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
I'd like to throw in my (current) hometown stadium of Joseph L. Bruno Stadium - home to the Tri-City Valley Cats of the New York-Penn League:

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/troy/troy.htm#

Kasto put the smack down on Oneonta and the Tigers in Chico's article today.

« Reply #7: April 03, 2009, 06:02:55 PM »
PNC in Pittsburgh is the best stadium I have been to so far. Equally impressive, is the Bucs Spring Training stadium in Bradenton, FL.

Now if they could only get a good team going...

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #8: April 07, 2009, 02:51:55 PM »
I agree about PNC.  I think it is the best ballpark.  Too bad it is in a dump city like Pitt.

Chewing Gum Field is an overrated, piss smelling, dump of a stadium.  Being surrounded by drunk idiot, so called fans, isn't my idea of going to a game.

Fenway Park is another overrated, dump of a stadium. 

Dodger Stadium sucks because of the class system of entry.  Intead of everybody entering on one level and taking ramps etc to their seats, at Dodger Stadium you have to enter at the level of your ticket.  There are no ramps, etc to get to your seats inside the stadium.  Plus the Dodger Dogs are the must disgusting crap you'll ever eat.

Petco is too busy. 

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #9: April 07, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
Nationals Park > Shea Stadium > Fenway Park.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #10: April 07, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
Chewing Gum Field is an overrated, piss smelling, dump of a stadium.  Being surrounded by drunk idiot, so called fans, isn't my idea of going to a game.

What's Chewing Gum Field?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: April 07, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »
What's Chewing Gum Field?

Wrigley's Chewing Gum.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #12: April 07, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Fenway Park is another overrated, dump of a stadium. 

+1

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #13: April 07, 2009, 03:47:21 PM »

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #14: April 07, 2009, 04:29:22 PM »
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/buffalo/buffalo.htm

Overall a great place to see a baseball game, but one that would be very well suited for the Majors instead of the minors. Unfortunately, it appears that Buffalo will not see a major league team any time soon.

:icon_frown:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #15: April 07, 2009, 04:30:40 PM »
http://www.ballparkreviews.com/buffalo/buffalo.htm

:icon_frown:

It looks great from the highway heading to the Falls, but I've never stopped in.

Offline Thousand Made-Up Loves

• My Man Willie Harris
« Reply #16: April 08, 2009, 05:51:45 PM »
For those who have not been to Wrigley, make sure to read the take on Wrigley at stuffwhitepeoplelike.com. Spot freakin' on.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/27/30-wrigley-field/

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #17: July 25, 2009, 08:04:41 PM »
Anyone been to Petco Park?  I'm going for the Nats-Padres series and wanted to know if there were any recommendations on where to sit (where most away fans sit, any decent value, etc).  Thanks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: July 25, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
Fenway will always be my favorite park. Nats park is great, but really doesn't have any history. In a wierd way, I miss RFK, particularly the way the lower level seats would all shake during a game- probably just cheap concrete.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #19: July 25, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »
Fenway will always be my favorite park. Nats park is great, but really doesn't have any history. In a wierd way, I miss RFK, particularly the way the lower level seats would all shake during a game- probably just cheap concrete.

the lerners didn't build that stadium 8)

RFK will always have a special place in my heart.  I'm not a DC United fan so I really don't see me venturing back for one of their matches, but I grew up watching Nats and Skins games there ... my dad grew up watching Senators.  Everytime we park @ RFK for the shuttle to Nats Park, I get chills just seeing that huge space ship appear.

I've been past Fenway, didn't think it was that special.  I loved Wrigley.  I'm still a Camden fan (yeah yeah I know I know).  But Dodger Stadium may be my favorite. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #20: July 25, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »
RFK is where I became a Senators fan.

Most of the other MLB stadiums I've been to are gone now:  Yankee Stadium and 3 Rivers.

Minor Leagues:

Been to:

Pfitzner. - Not great, they really need to build new
Reading - Nice sightlines

Favorite Minor League:

RIPKEN STADIUM IN ABERDEEN MD.  :icon_mrgreen: They guy from the ballparks website didn't like it.  I Loved it.  All except the picnic seats are CHAIR SEATS with cup holders.  Not really a bad seat in the house.  They now have a mascot named Ferrous!  They are home to the IRONbirds after all.  Food is decent and NOT that high.  I went the first year it opened too and had a distinctly opposite impression than the guy on the ballparks site.

with Bowie a close 2nd.  I went to the Eastern League All-Star Game a few times there and got out of the stadium and on the road home in about 10 minutes!  Also, they have a merry go round for the kids and kids only concessions.

Non-Minor League:

Shirley Povich Field at Cabin John Park in Bethesda.  Old fashioned feel with its hand turned scoreboard and beautiful setting.  Not a bad seat in the house!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #21: July 25, 2009, 10:18:23 PM »
i used to play at cabin john (both the stadium and the huge ass playground they have 8)).  it was awesome.  loved playing there.

orioles have great minor league parks with AA-Bowie, A-Frederick and A-Delmarva all resembling each other. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #22: July 25, 2009, 10:24:09 PM »
i used to play at cabin john (both the stadium and the huge ass playground they have 8)).  it was awesome.  loved playing there.

orioles have great minor league parks with AA-Bowie, A-Frederick and A-Delmarva all resembling each other. 

I grew up in Bethesda, so Cabin John Park playground with its cool slides and swings was tops with me as a kid!  I also went Ice skating at the Ice Rink and took lessons there.

I haven't been to too many Big Train Games but the ones I've gone to have always been fun.

I picked Bowie because, at Frederick it took awhile to get out of the parking lot.  Used to be a Keys fan, now a P-Nats fan!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #23: July 25, 2009, 10:31:22 PM »
I grew up in Bethesda, so Cabin John Park playground with its cool slides and swings was tops with me as a kid!  I also went Ice skating at the Ice Rink and took lessons there.

I haven't been to too many Big Train Games but the ones I've gone to have always been fun.

I picked Bowie because, at Frederick it took awhile to get out of the parking lot.  Used to be a Keys fan, now a P-Nats fan!

I live in Bethesda, wish I make it out to more Big Train games.  Had a buddy that played for the Silver Spring Bolts (i believe that's the team name) up until last year.  It's good baseball.

Bowie Baysox games are great too. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #24: July 26, 2009, 12:24:02 PM »
Fenway is a nice place to visit, but I would not want to watch games there on a regular basis.  I have not sat in any of the add on seats, but the  original seats are just too cramped for anyone over 6'.  My knees always end up hitting the people in front of me.  And if you sit next to a fatty . . . Lot's of obstructed views, 1/3 of the seats are in the bleachers, narrow aisles.  One of the nice things, though, is the unusual angles.  I often sit down the left field line one section from the Wall.  Great to watch the arc of the ball going towards left.  Also, with any classic stadium, the first view of the field on your first visit must be awesome.

The HOK minor league stadiums are becoming a bit cookie cutter. Lowell looks like Bowie.  I have not been to Aberdeen.  I like Frederick because it feels like a stadium in a community.  Pawtucket is pretty cool, too. They used to have murals on the entrance ramps of all the players who have been called up to the Red Sox.  They still have murals, but I think it may be for guys who had more than a cup of coffee.  And, speaking of the cups, the souvenir soda cup has the line score for the longest game.