Author Topic: Dumb Questions  (Read 1915 times)

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Re: Dumb Questions
« Reply #25: July 16, 2012, 02:44:56 PM »
I wonder how many saves are of the 3-inning or more variety.  I am guessing not many.    :)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #27: July 16, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
Actually, lastobjective, this is a question that has led to inumerable debates and studies.  What Mattionals is wrote is right, except that it understates the difficulty of doing what he said.  That's one of the reasons why lefty hitters like LaRoche don't get a hit every time the defensive team puts extra infielders over on the right side and leave the 40+ feet next to third without a fielder.  It would be so contrary to his natural approach that he could not make consistent good contact if he tried to go that way.   some of the statistical studies show the general propensity of types of batted balls to drop into play.  The most likely type of batted ball to drop for a hit is a line drive, far and away the most likely, but it is rare to have much more than 20% of your contact be line drives and it is not common to maintain that rate for more than short stretches.  Fly ball and ground ball rates are more stable, so you can be a fly ball or groundball hitter.

The thing that has always impressed me the most is batters fouling off pitches on purpose with two strikes. I never got to that level of bat control. I knew a couple guys that played at UVA and they had enough bat control to sometimes foul off borderline strikes until they walked or got a pitch to drive.

Offline KyleScha

« Reply #28: July 16, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »
Adding to hitter's control over where they hit, I think it has more to do with how they approach their swing than swinging later/earlier. While its true that hitting the ball earlier will result in a pull, and late to opposite field, the time available to hit the ball well is in the realm of 1/200th - 1/100th of a second. This is way too short of a time to actually have control over. Thus its more so the mechanics of the swing that produce solid hits in a certain direction rather than at what time the swing was started.

This is why LaRoche almost exclusively pulls the ball. I would say players have decent control over where they hit the ball, but not where they hit the ball hard. If LaRoche gets a pitch that would require hitting to opposite field for solid contact, he still likely pulls it and is left with poor contact, or will miss it all together. When a hitter like a good-hitting-healthy-Zimmerman sees the same pitch (well, ignoring handedness), his mechanics are flexible. He adjusts to the (probably outside) pitch, his mechanics will change slightly and is more likely to drive the ball hard to opposite field. This is part of the reason why zimmerman strikes out 30% less than LaRoche does. Now of course this is just a tiny fraction of these reasons but one of many things used to evaluate someone as a hitter.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #29: July 18, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
What happens to game balls after a game? Each team must go through a few hundred each game... but obviously that's a LOT of trash if they don't find ways to reuse them or recycle them!

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #30: July 19, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
What happens to game balls after a game?

They sell them.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #31: July 19, 2012, 12:27:53 PM »
I wonder how many saves are of the 3-inning or more variety.  I am guessing not many.    :)

2012 YTD: 708 saves
2012 YTD 3 Inning saves: 7

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/game_finder.cgi?year=0&n1=&id=&type=p#ajax_result_table::none

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #32: July 19, 2012, 12:38:31 PM »
They sell them.
All of them? And holy crap that is a lot of signed baseballs.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #33: July 19, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
2012 YTD: 708 saves
2012 YTD 3 Inning saves: 7

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/game_finder.cgi?year=0&n1=&id=&type=p#ajax_result_table::none

And I'll bet those were saves by "set up men" who came in for the 7th with a small lead and then their team broke it open later, and they just stayed in the game rather than the closer coming into what would then be a non-save situation.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #34: July 19, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »
All of them? And holy crap that is a lot of signed baseballs.

Many of them are also used for batting and fielding practice and I'd imagine some or donated, given away or just lost. Apparently they go through 600,000 in a season.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #35: July 19, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »
And I'll bet those were saves by "set up men" who came in for the 7th with a small lead and then their team broke it open later, and they just stayed in the game rather than the closer coming into what would then be a non-save situation.

Or games that were blowouts the whole way - if you pitch the last three full innings, you get a save, even if the score was 26-0 when you came in.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #37: July 19, 2012, 09:43:57 PM »
This was something I was wondering about while at a Sox game about a month ago, and it seems like something that might be appropriate for this thread. I clarified part of it, but I have a follow up question.

As most baseball fans know, if you swing for a third strike on a pitch that bounces before the catcher catches it, you can run to first. However, there are times that the hitter is automatically out on the third strike and doesn't become a runner. Specifically, if there is a runner on first and fewer than two outs, the batter is out and can't advance. This rule is there to prevent the catcher from dropping the third strike intentionally and then throwing to second with a follow up throw to first, which would create a double play (similar to the infield fly rule).

I thought that was pretty interesting... however, what if there is a wild pitch on that third strike and the hitter wants to try and go to first? According to Wikipedia, "If at the time of the strike three pitch, first base is occupied with fewer than two outs, the batter is automatically out and cannot become a runner." I feel like there should be a rule that if the batter leaves the batter's box in an attempt to advance to first, he can become a live runner, but otherwise, he's automatically out. Is that the case and I am misunderstanding the rule, or is there no way for the hitter to try to advance?

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #38: July 20, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »
I thought that was pretty interesting... however, what if there is a wild pitch on that third strike and the hitter wants to try and go to first? According to Wikipedia, "If at the time of the strike three pitch, first base is occupied with fewer than two outs, the batter is automatically out and cannot become a runner." I feel like there should be a rule that if the batter leaves the batter's box in an attempt to advance to first, he can become a live runner, but otherwise, he's automatically out. Is that the case and I am misunderstanding the rule, or is there no way for the hitter to try to advance?

I can't quote verse but...it would seem to me that you would just create the situation similar to the one you prevented with the catcher intentionally dropping the ball to get the double play, except now, the pitcher 'intentionally' throws a wild pitch...risky, but might work.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #39: July 20, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
They sell them.

Back in my day (late '50s), the Nats used them in batting practice. We sat in the LF bleachers and practiced chasing shots by Killebrew, Allison, Lemon, and Sievers.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #40: July 20, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »
I can't quote verse but...it would seem to me that you would just create the situation similar to the one you prevented with the catcher intentionally dropping the ball to get the double play, except now, the pitcher 'intentionally' throws a wild pitch...risky, but might work.

But the batter has to make the choice to try, and in that scenario, he's responsible for it if there is a double play. Also, I highly highly doubt that you could turn a 1-6-3 double play on a passed ball that gets past the catcher unless the hitter is David Ortiz.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #41: August 08, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »
Do they call Roger Bernadina "The Shark" because he circles the ball before he attacks? ;)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #42: August 08, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »
They call him The Shark because one ST he showed up and randomly started referring to himself as The Shark. It stuck.

This was also the year he showed up jacked to the gills, pun intended.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #43: August 09, 2012, 02:14:56 AM »
Like this:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200708221.shtml

I actually walked into the ballpark immediately after this game going to the 2nd game of the double header. For someone who has always hated the O's, it was a truly remarkable and gratifying feeling!

Offline Nate Dogg

« Reply #45: August 10, 2012, 06:26:09 AM »
Thinking of Tuesday's meltdown game against the Astros when Bernidina scored in the Top of the 9th on the bunt by Suzuki.  In the replay it clearly shows Bo Porter hitting the deck hard (kinda funny).  What would have been the call if the ball had hit him?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #46: August 10, 2012, 07:46:09 AM »
My guess is automatic out.
Also happened in an earlier game where he had to dance away fron an errant throw and FP said it was the "play " of the game.Sorry , I can't resmember the exact circumstance.

Offline blue911

« Reply #47: August 10, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »
Thinking of Tuesday's meltdown game against the Astros when Bernidina scored in the Top of the 9th on the bunt by Suzuki.  In the replay it clearly shows Bo Porter hitting the deck hard (kinda funny).  What would have been the call if the ball had hit him?

It's a dead ball and the runners return to their last base.

Offline Nate Dogg

« Reply #48: August 10, 2012, 09:45:26 AM »
It's a dead ball and the runners return to their last base.

Thanks. 

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #49: August 17, 2012, 10:55:18 PM »
I always wanted to ask the following question on Steve "The Czabe" Czaban's "This Might Be A Dumb Question segment. Now's  my chance!

"This might be a dumb question, but is this a dumb question?"