Author Topic: Pokey Reese To the DL  (Read 2976 times)

Pokey Reese To the DL
« Topic Start: May 28, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »
Pokey Reese played one game and is then put on the DL.  :roll: Frank Diaz called up to Columbus.

http://farmauthority.dcsportsnet.com/2008/05/28/columbuspotomac-roster-move/

Offline blue911

Re: Pokey Reese To the DL
« Reply #1: May 28, 2008, 04:28:53 PM »
Pokey Reese played one game and is then put on the DL.  :roll: Frank Diaz called up to Columbus.

http://farmauthority.dcsportsnet.com/2008/05/28/columbuspotomac-roster-move/

Just keeping the seat warm for Alex Escobar. Nothing to get alarmed about.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #2: May 28, 2008, 05:10:24 PM »
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA worst signing ever. He's almost literally getting free money. Bowden, call me next. I'd love to be paid to not play baseball.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #3: May 28, 2008, 05:44:32 PM »
I still haven't figured out the real rationale for his signing.

« Reply #4: May 28, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »
I still haven't figured out the real rationale for his signing.

Pokey Reese (xRed + JimBo) = We're freaked

Offline blue911

« Reply #5: May 28, 2008, 06:22:14 PM »
Pokey Reese (xRed + JimBo) = We're freaked

I don't follow. Reese is a former big leaguer with two gold gloves. I don't see what he could screw up.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #6: May 28, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
He's a team player, he's on the DL!   ;) :roll:

Offline blue911

« Reply #7: May 28, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »
I forgot that he stole 25 or more bases 4 times and had a career stole base per centage just shy of 85%. Maybe Pokey ought to take Tim Tolman's job.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: May 28, 2008, 09:34:18 PM »
Ha ha! Silly.

MrMadison

« Reply #9: May 28, 2008, 09:41:55 PM »
wow, what the hell.

Bowden's obsession for giving his former Reds jobs is ridiculous.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #10: May 28, 2008, 09:43:36 PM »
WTF! Free money, worst signing, GM of all-time.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #11: May 28, 2008, 09:44:10 PM »
Ha ha! Silly.
Not to be an @$$ but what? Silly? :lol:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12: May 29, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA worst signing ever. He's almost literally getting free money. Bowden, call me next. I'd love to be paid to not play baseball.

if this is the worst signing ever, i'll take it. its pretty inconsequential.  maybe some criticism of bowden is warranted but going overboard and bashing signings like this kinda cheapens the other arguments against him. 

it's AAA nonsense, there are probably 50 guys of equal ability who could have been signed to this role. might as well look out for a friend or go with someone you are familiar with

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13: May 29, 2008, 09:55:16 AM »
wow, what the hell.

Bowden's obsession for giving his former Reds jobs is ridiculous.

works out in some cases though doesnt it, sometimes you are more motivated to not let a friend down.

Guillen had a good 2005 before injuries and PEDs caught up with him
Dmitri last year. The rest remains to be seen
Aaron Boone this year.  Now people want the guy starting

Kearns/Lopez. At worst that is garbage for garbage right now. No big deal and worth a shot at the time

Who else is there?

WMP.  Fruto isnt up to much, not to mention, the deal was widely accepted early on.

It seems like the deals we were most optimistic about when they were made Kearns, Lopez (I'll throw him in there even though he appears to at least be an adequate big leaguer), WMP, turn out the worst and the ones that are criticized work out better: dmitri, guillen (nothing spectacular but did provide some excitement in 2005 and got us a pick), boone

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #14: May 29, 2008, 01:22:18 PM »

it's AAA nonsense, there are probably 50 guys of equal ability who could have been signed to this role. might as well look out for a friend or go with someone you are familiar with

Good point Dave B. There are people who make this argument against Bowden yet they want to keep Carpenter, Taylor and others based on the same reason   :stupid:

MrMadison

« Reply #15: May 29, 2008, 05:02:41 PM »
works out in some cases though doesnt it, sometimes you are more motivated to not let a friend down.

Guillen had a good 2005 before injuries and PEDs caught up with him
Dmitri last year. The rest remains to be seen
Aaron Boone this year.  Now people want the guy starting

Kearns/Lopez. At worst that is garbage for garbage right now. No big deal and worth a shot at the time

Who else is there?

WMP.  Fruto isnt up to much, not to mention, the deal was widely accepted early on.

It seems like the deals we were most optimistic about when they were made Kearns, Lopez (I'll throw him in there even though he appears to at least be an adequate big leaguer), WMP, turn out the worst and the ones that are criticized work out better: dmitri, guillen (nothing spectacular but did provide some excitement in 2005 and got us a pick), boone
so then you are in favor of signing people and giving them money just because they are friends with Bowden, regardless of whether they can help this franchise or not?

of course you are. it's Bowden we are talking about, after all.

is Bowden building a baseball team, or a shelter for ex-Reds?

why sign Pokey Reese, who has not been in baseball for years, instead of promoting a player to fill the slot?

Offline blue911

« Reply #16: May 29, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
so then you are in favor of signing people and giving them money just because they are friends with Bowden, regardless of whether they can help this franchise or not?

why sign Pokey Reese, who has not been in baseball for years, instead of promoting a player to fill the slot?

Okay, I'm game.

Who is it that gets called up to Columbus to sit behind Pete Orr & Ray Olmedo? Do we have players in AA that we are grooming for the role of professional minor leaguer? Last I checked we don't have crap for middle infielders until you get to the Sally League.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #17: May 29, 2008, 07:20:13 PM »

what blue911 said. all we needed at AAA was someone to fill the 98.6 degree +/- 0.5 requirement.  all the real prospects are at AA anyway. people who hate bowden see an inconsequential move that is neither here nor there and feel the need to rip it under some ex red theory.  it's just piling on and looks desperate like "ooh ooh i found something".

MrMadison

« Reply #18: May 30, 2008, 09:18:50 PM »
Okay, I'm game.

Who is it that gets called up to Columbus to sit behind Pete Orr & Ray Olmedo? Do we have players in AA that we are grooming for the role of professional minor leaguer? Last I checked we don't have crap for middle infielders until you get to the Sally League.

Ian Desmond. he's gonna be a career minor leaguer as it is.

again, why sign Pokey Reese? just to give him money?

oh, and Dave, there is plenty of boneheadedness for those of us who won't miss Bowden when he is gone to pick on, this particular move is indeed inconsequential.  I'm just wondering why it was made in the first place. seems like a waste of paperwork to me, unless it was a favor to a friend.

Offline blue911

« Reply #19: May 31, 2008, 07:35:58 AM »
Ian Desmond. he's gonna be a career minor leaguer as it is.

again, why sign Pokey Reese? just to give him money?

oh, and Dave, there is plenty of boneheadedness for those of us who won't miss Bowden when he is gone to pick on, this particular move is indeed inconsequential.  I'm just wondering why it was made in the first place. seems like a waste of paperwork to me, unless it was a favor to a friend.

Sure it was a favor to friend. But the position was at AAA and wasn't/isn't going to be a promotable to the MLB team. Meaning that it was a showcase job for other organizations. Pokey was a very good defensive secondbaseman,that toed the company line and stayed out of trouble. There wasn't a lose in this signing it was a pure win/win.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #20: May 31, 2008, 10:42:01 AM »
Desmond has a very strong arm but not to great of a fielder, hmmm could we move to a corner outfield spot and then work on his offense? I mean it is not that hard to improve your hitting for me atleast, I sucked at the beginning of the year [winter screws me over] but as the season progresses I go to batting cages 2 times a week and hit a total of 200 pitches: hundred at 60 MPH,sixty  at 70 MPH, firty and 2 at 85

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #21: May 31, 2008, 10:42:35 AM »
And know I hit very well and am batting .360's[sorry accidently hit submit]

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #22: June 01, 2008, 03:24:07 AM »
Desmond has a very strong arm but not to great of a fielder, hmmm could we move to a corner outfield spot and then work on his offense? I mean it is not that hard to improve your hitting for me atleast, I sucked at the beginning of the year [winter screws me over] but as the season progresses I go to batting cages 2 times a week and hit a total of 200 pitches: hundred at 60 MPH,sixty  at 70 MPH, firty and 2 at 85

Desmond seems pretty hopeless really but crap happens so who knows

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #23: June 02, 2008, 04:49:34 PM »
Desmond seems pretty hopeless really but crap happens so who knows
Agreed. I really think he sucks!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #24: June 03, 2008, 03:18:13 PM »
Reese was activated to fill Casto's vacated spot.