Author Topic: VOLUNTEERING  (Read 1054 times)

nospinzone1

VOLUNTEERING
« Topic Start: January 24, 2008, 07:15:14 PM »
I started today a once a week volunteer gig at a health clinic interpreting for Spanish people.
It is enjoyable and keeps off the streets.

Offline kimnat

Re: VOLUNTEERING
« Reply #1: January 24, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
HEY!!!  THAT"S AWESOME!!!  Enjoy yourself!

natsfan1a

« Reply #2: January 24, 2008, 07:30:33 PM »
That's great - good for you!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: January 24, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »
Way to go, NoSpin. I'll bet you'd be great teaching English to immigrants, too.
I started today a once a week volunteer gig at a health clinic interpreting for Spanish people.
It is enjoyable and keeps off the streets.

nospinzone1

« Reply #4: January 24, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
Way to go, NoSpin. I'll bet you'd be great teaching English to immigrants, too.

NAW....I HATED SPANISH GRAMMAR IN SCHOOL. I WILL LIMIT MYSELF TO MY SPANGLISH. IT IS GOING TO BE FUN AND AT TIMES CHALLENGING. SOME OF THESE POOR PEOPLE ARE USED TO NOT TELLING EVERYTHING AND DOING WHAT THE DOCTORS AND NURSES TELL THEM. ONE LADY HAS DIABETES. SHE IS GOING TO GO TO DIABETES CLASES AND THEY WILL GIVE HER A FREE MACHINE .... HOWEVER, GET THIS; SHE SAYS SHE WILL NOT USED THE MACHINE BECAUSE SHE IS AFRAID OF PRICKING HER FINGERS. SINCE I DO THAT MYSELF I TRIED TO ENCOURAGE HER TO DO IT FOR HER OWN SAKE.

natsfan1a

« Reply #5: January 24, 2008, 07:53:39 PM »
My father-in-law also had an aversion to the finger-sticks.

nospinzone1

« Reply #6: January 24, 2008, 07:58:55 PM »
I THINK NOWADAYS THEY ALLOW YOU TO DO IT IN YOUR FOREARMS.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #7: January 24, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »
They gave her the little spring loaded lancet device, right? Being an insulin dependent diabetic, I can tell you that I'd hate to prick my fingers without one of them.

NAW....I HATED SPANISH GRAMMAR IN SCHOOL. I WILL LIMIT MYSELF TO MY SPANGLISH. IT IS GOING TO BE FUN AND AT TIMES CHALLENGING. SOME OF THESE POOR PEOPLE ARE USED TO NOT TELLING EVERYTHING AND DOING WHAT THE DOCTORS AND NURSES TELL THEM. ONE LADY HAS DIABETES. SHE IS GOING TO GO TO DIABETES CLASES AND THEY WILL GIVE HER A FREE MACHINE .... HOWEVER, GET THIS; SHE SAYS SHE WILL NOT USED THE MACHINE BECAUSE SHE IS AFRAID OF PRICKING HER FINGERS. SINCE I DO THAT MYSELF I TRIED TO ENCOURAGE HER TO DO IT FOR HER OWN SAKE.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #8: January 24, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
Depends on your sensitivity.  My mom was just as sensitive in her arms as she was in her fingers.  You have to have the right meter and the right strips that take the smallest sample.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #9: January 24, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
You need a different cap on the lancer, and it's often a two attempt deal. Keep her off the tips of her fingers, particularly at the center. Halfway between the tip and the first joint, towards the side, is far less sensitive.

Ice goes a long way, too, just not so much that you slow blood flow. Counterproductive.

I THINK NOWADAYS THEY ALLOW YOU TO DO IT IN YOUR FOREARMS.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #10: January 25, 2008, 12:53:10 AM »
NoSpin, I'm proud of you. Most people have no idea how much this is needed!

nospinzone1

« Reply #11: January 25, 2008, 08:31:42 AM »
THANKS, SALTY. I AM THINKING OF EXPANDING MY VOLUNTEERING THERE TO MORE THAN ONE DAY ON AN ON CALL BASIS . IF NOT THERE THERE ARE OTHER POSSIBILITIES. IT WILL KEEP MY FEEBLE MIND FROM GOING SENILE AND KEEP ME OUT OF BED.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #12: January 25, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »
I'd go on about how it takes a village and we ought to help our fellow man and every human deserves dignity, but I'm afraid it'd backfire and you'd stop volunteering. :D

THANKS, SALTY. I AM THINKING OF EXPANDING MY VOLUNTEERING THERE TO MORE THAN ONE DAY ON AN ON CALL BASIS . IF NOT THERE THERE ARE OTHER POSSIBILITIES. IT WILL KEEP MY FEEBLE MIND FROM GOING SENILE AND KEEP ME OUT OF BED.

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: January 25, 2008, 09:27:43 AM »

Here on the Hill we have an organization that matches volunteers with seniors that need some assistance.These aren't large choirs or very time consuming, sometimes as simple as carrying groceries into their house, changing lightbulbs or taking out the garbage. You would be surprised to find out how many seniors are forced to live in a "senior center" or some nursing home because they can't do a few basic choirs.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #14: January 25, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »
You would be surprised to find out how many seniors are forced to live in a "senior center" or some nursing home because they can't do a few basic choirs.

My 2-cents on "senior centers" etc.

Speaking from someone who's Mom lived very happily in a Retirement community (which had independent living apartments, assisted living apartments, and skilled nursing floor (what most people associate with Nursing homes), please don't lump negative connotations on such places.  My mom chose to live there.  Before she got so sick she and my Dad (when he was alive) planned to move to a retirement community because of all the services it does provide.

Not being able to do their own chores around the house is a part of that decsion but not the only part.  If you lived in a single family home and the washer dryer was downstairs; as you get older, its difficult to keep going up and down stairs just to do your laundry.  What if you fall?  What if you leave the stove on and something catches fire?  Who's going to shovel your walk when it snows?  What if the heat goes out?  What if the phone is slightly off the hook and you can't reach your Mom?

My mom lived in a wonderful retirement community.  YES, they are very expensive, but they do serve a purpose.  They had motion detectors in all the apartments.  If they don't see something move, they call or check on you.  Every resident had one of those buttons.  If you fall and can't get up, the front desk is alerted, who checks out the situation and calls the nurse to check you out before picking you up.  There's a dining room.  So there's food available when you can't go shopping.  There's a backup generator, for power outages.  There's a Bank branch right in the building to do you banking.  There is a nurse available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  They even had people who would drive you to Doctor's appointments (additional fee) if you gave them appropriate notice.  They also had trips to the Kennedy Center, the Meyerhoff, Toby's dinner theater along with local arts groups.

Yes volunteers are wonderful to do chores for seniors.  Sometimes its all they need and want.  However don't lump all senior centers etc as horrible places because they are not all that way!

There, I feel better now!

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: January 25, 2008, 10:09:40 AM »
However don't lump all senior centers etc as horrible places because they are not all that way!

I don't see how you read that into my post.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #16: January 25, 2008, 10:17:34 AM »
The way you say the word forced, gives negative conotations.  Yes many people in that community were FORCED by their kids to live there.  I doubt it was simply because they couldnt' do their own chores though.  Afterwords they were greatful.

Many seniors choose "senior centers" so they can talk with people their own age and aren't so isolated.