Author Topic: Joe Gibbs - the family story  (Read 1939 times)

Offline kimnat

Joe Gibbs - the family story
« Topic Start: January 16, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0108/488211_video.html?ref=newsstory

This is an awesome video of Coach Gibbs and his family.  This features his grandson, Taylor.  Taylor is 3 years old and was diagnosed w/ leukemia one year ago (when he was 2).  I contacted Taylor's mom, Melissa back after the announcement was made.  I sent her a compilation of all the email messages I sent to everyone about Andrew.  She emailed me and is a wonderful mom!  This is a very personal story for me, given Andrew's experience w/ cancer.  I hate seeing any child go through cancer treatment, but at the same time I'm thankful for the advances that have been made in treating childhood cancers.  Please watch this video, it's just super good!  I will always respect that man immensely!

natsfan1a

Re: Joe Gibbs - the family story
« Reply #1: January 16, 2008, 07:17:30 PM »
That's such a sweet and touching video. I believe that the man has his priorities in order. I had a feeling that he might not return as coach after I read the Mike Wise piece about Gibbs and his grandson last month.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/25/AR2007122501222.html

Offline kimnat

« Reply #2: January 16, 2008, 08:12:25 PM »
I was surprised he coached this past season and didn't leave once the diagnosis was discovered.  He definitely has his priorities straight!  I just wish my kids had a grandfather like him!  They desperately need a set of doting grandparents!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #3: January 16, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »
I was surprised he coached this past season and didn't leave once the diagnosis was discovered. 

That just means that he used this as an excuse to go (as he did in 1993 and left the Redskins in a bind) because he knew he was in over his head. Joe Gibbs was lost on the sidelines all season and for most of the second go around. He cost the Redskins a ton of games because of his mismanagement and weak philosophy. I'm glad his ass is gone (I never wanted him back to begin with).

He definitely has his priorities straight!

And Parcells is a character guy right?  ;)

nospinzone1

« Reply #4: January 16, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »
SPIDER: I THINK HE IS A GREAT HUMAN BEING.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #5: January 16, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »
Spider. You know, I don't understand why you have to get so fussy about positive stuff.  This is a good story.  This wasn't a discussion of his coaching philosophy or job performance discussion.  It was just a nice thing that I thought others would find heartwarming and interesting.  If you don't like it or don't care about the man's grandson, then don't bother yourself with it.  I find a deep connection here because of Andrew's cancer experience and I've communicated w/ that child's mother.  I have a deeper understanding on this one than almost any of you here and I thought SOMEONE might find this touching, as I did.  Don't worry, I won't bother you with any more touchy feely nice postings.  As it is, I've already held back some really nice and happy information because I didn't want some of you bashing it.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: January 16, 2008, 09:36:04 PM »
SPIDER: I THINK HE IS A GREAT HUMAN BEING.

I won't dispute that much nospin. Except that he made a habit of lying at press conferences (and that was overlooked by the media and fans at large).

Spider. You know, I don't understand why you have to get so fussy about positive stuff.  This is a good story.  This wasn't a discussion of his coaching philosophy or job performance discussion. 

Joe Gibbs comes into discussion because of his coaching career. Otherwise we wouldn't know about him so to dismiss his failings on that front is unacceptable at least as far as I'm concerned. By your own admission this is something that other people are undergoing in their lives so Joe Gibbs is no special in that regard. There are tons of families fighting this same battle but no one is praising them for going through it like they are Joe Gibbs. And why is that? Because Joe Gibbs coached the Redskins! How did he fare? Shall we count the ways?

I have a deeper understanding on this one than almost any of you here and I thought SOMEONE might find this touching, as I did. 

Don't be so quick to assume or judge how other people feel about a certain thing. This doesn't make you special. My father died of Leukemia not too long ago so that's still fresh in my heart and mind but that doesn't mean I'm going to give Joe Gibbs a pass or lift him up because his grandson has the same thing. There are tons of people fighting the same thing as we speak. It's a fact of life and the reality remains that he still screwed up the Redskins last two seasons.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #7: January 16, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
Joe Gibbs comes into discussion because of his coaching career. Otherwise we wouldn't know about him so to dismiss his failings on that front is unacceptable at least as far as I'm concerned. By your own admission this is something that other people are undergoing in their lives so Joe Gibbs is no special in that regard. There are tons of families fighting this same battle but no one is praising them for going through it like they are Joe Gibbs. And why is that? Because Joe Gibbs coached the Redskins! How did he fare? Shall we count the ways?

Don't be so quick to assume or judge how other people feel about a certain thing. This doesn't make you special. My father died of Leukemia not too long ago so that's still fresh in my heart and mind but that doesn't mean I'm going to give Joe Gibbs a pass or lift him up because his grandson has the same thing. There are tons of people fighting the same thing as we speak. It's a fact of life and the reality remains that he still screwed up the Redskins last two seasons.

And my mother suffered horribly for 4 years and died from melanoma at the young age of 55, almost 6 years ago - it's so incredibly painful to watch your parent enduring that.  I know.  I've been there.  And I am very sorry you had to experience that!  Truly, I am! 

What I appreciate here is the attention this brings to childhood cancer.  Andrew's not going to garner the same special attention that Taylor does.  And yes, it is all because of who the child's grandfather is.  But people don't realize how common it is.  I appreciate this story because of my personal connection w/ Gibb's daughter-in-law.  And I know the fear a parent faces upon learning that their CHILD has cancer.  That in and of itself is horrific.  I know I'm not special in this area, and am not alone.  But the emotions you experience as a parent can be paralyzing.  And my speaking of my deeper understanding is based on being a parent in this case.  We all expect to lose our parents at sometime in life.  But we never expect to deal with a deadly disease in our children.  Both are horribly painful, just the latter tends to strike many people as either out of order of nature or completely unnatural. 

I'm sorry your feelings for Gibbs are so horrible that you cannot even be happy for him in the remission of his grandson's cancer.  I'm sorry that sports has such a dominant role in your life that these moments cannot be viewed as just a life moment and not a controversial point.  I honestly thought it was a nice piece.  Don't worry, I won't BOTHER you with anything like this EVER again!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #8: January 16, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
You can post them all you like. I don't regulate or moderate anything around here. Please continue to post them. Don't mind me. You can always use the ignore feature to keep from reading my point of view. My point remains, as always, that Joe Gibbs or any other sports figure has no meaning to me beyond the playing field. I reserve my concern for people that actually have an impact in my life. 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #9: January 16, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »
Ok, then.  I don't want to ignore you.  I actually do like you, this just got under my skin a bit.  Females tend to have a soft spot for nice stories and this was one of them. 

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: January 16, 2008, 10:09:50 PM »
I don't know much about him or his priorities, so I can't weigh in on that one.

And Parcells is a character guy right?  ;)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #11: January 16, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »
Nice Story Kim.  I don't mind you sharing at all.

After seeing this, I thought of the saying I've seen a few times:

If I had known that grandchildren would have been this much fun; I would have had them first!

By the way, the Lymphoma society is having a raffle for 2 Mercedes cars.  $100/ticket is a little rich for me.  However, our company has a semi strict dress code (Have to wear dress slacks or skirts or dresses and shirts with a collar).  The exception for this is when a Charity is raising money.  This time you pay $5 for a button.  If you wear that button on a certain day, you can wear jeans that day.  My boss doesn't allow JEANS regardless!  I bought a button anyway.  What the hey!

Spider's going to be Spider.  Just skip over his avi, if he upsets you.

natsfan1a

« Reply #12: January 16, 2008, 10:14:02 PM »
I have a soft spot for stories like that and I appreciated your sharing the video (even if it did make me cry ;) ).

Females tend to have a soft spot for nice stories and this was one of them. 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #13: January 16, 2008, 10:19:06 PM »
Nice Story Kim.  I don't mind you sharing at all.

After seeing this, I thought of the saying I've seen a few times:

If I had known that grandchildren would have been this much fun; I would have had them first!

By the way, the Lymphoma society is having a raffle for 2 Mercedes cars.  $100/ticket is a little rich for me.  However, our company has a semi strict dress code (Have to wear dress slacks or skirts or dresses and shirts with a collar).  The exception for this is when a Charity is raising money.  This time you pay $5 for a button.  If you wear that button on a certain day, you can wear jeans that day.  My boss doesn't allow JEANS regardless!  I bought a button anyway.  What the hey!

Spider's going to be Spider.  Just skip over his avi, if he upsets you.

Thanks for doing the button!   I appreciate it.  I can usually handle those comments a bit better, but that just hit too close. 
I have a soft spot for stories like that and I appreciated your sharing the video (even if it did make me cry ;) ).

:)  Made me cry too.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #14: January 16, 2008, 10:19:54 PM »

I don't have to even know someone to be touched by their story.  I'm touched by Hallmark Hall of Fame Stories and their not about anyone I know either.  If people didn't relate to them, they wouldn't be played year after year after year.

Heck, when Glenn Brenner died, I felt like I had almost lost a family member!  His sense of humor and his good nature made me feel this way.  Did I know him?  No.

What about Sean Taylor?  We mourned the loss of him.  Did any of us know him or his family?  No.  We mourn just the same.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #15: January 16, 2008, 10:20:56 PM »
I felt the same way about Glen Brenner!  We females are just more tender than many of the tough and macho young guys.

natsfan1a

« Reply #16: January 16, 2008, 10:33:05 PM »
Yes, that was very sad when Brenner died.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #17: January 16, 2008, 10:35:37 PM »
I don't know much about him or his priorities, so I can't weigh in on that one.

Ask kimnat about that. She posted a thread about his being a character guy.

I can usually handle those comments a bit better, but that just hit too close. 

Whatever. You missed the point. It has nothing to do with the story of the child. I commented on what I see as a great misconception about St Gibbs around this town. Joe Gibbs is the pied piper leading rats and children through the streets.

natsfan1a

« Reply #18: January 16, 2008, 10:52:31 PM »
I'm not well schooled on the first Gibbs era, not having lived here for most of it.

However, I can empathize on the challenges of reconciling work and other commitments with family time, particularly when there is a family member who is seriously ill and, on top of that, who is far away. I don't know what was in Gibbs' mind when he came to his decision, but I would think that not being there for a football team might be easier to reconcile spiritually and emotionally than not being there for an ill grandchild and his parents.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #19: January 16, 2008, 11:00:09 PM »
I'm not well schooled on the first Gibbs era, not having lived here for most of it.

However, I can empathize on the challenges of reconciling work and other commitments with family time, particularly when there is a family member who is seriously ill and, on top of that, who is far away. I don't know what was in Gibbs mind when he came to his decision, but I would think that not being there for a football team might be easier to reconcile spiritually and emotionally than not being there for an ill grandchild and his parents.

How true!

One of the quotes from I think a George Solomon article in the post;

The second time around he was 31-36 -- with two playoff appearances. More significant was the competitiveness, togetherness, pride and leadership Gibbs returned to the organization the past four years.

"I loved being coach of the Washington Redskins," Gibbs said.

That was all he needed to say.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #20: January 17, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
Ask kimnat about that. She posted a thread about his being a character guy.

Whatever. You missed the point. It has nothing to do with the story of the child. I commented on what I see as a great misconception about St Gibbs around this town. Joe Gibbs is the pied piper leading rats and children through the streets.

(Image removed from quote.)

NO, YOU missed the point.  This was a thread just highlighting something positive about the man, not attempting to knight him or beatify him.  YOU missed the point and hijacked this whole thing.  I didn't miss a thing!  And as to the character comments, just because I don't compartmentalize like you do, doesn't make it a wrong point.  I look at the person as a whole, something you apparently are NOT capable of doing.  You can have your "win or it unacceptable" attitude all you want.  But just know that not all of are cut from that same mold or attitude.  I'm done, goodbye!

« Reply #21: January 17, 2008, 10:28:34 AM »
I cry when I watch "The Natural."

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #22: January 17, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
I sort of feel this way about it: I'm okay with Joe Gibbs retiring to help his family, and I'm happy that Joe Gibbs has the resources to be able to retire and take care of his grandchildren. Really, though, there are others- Kim among them - that are much more admirable.

It's easier to have your priorities in order when you have the means. The decisions are much easier to make. The way is clearer - just buy the best care available at any price. I don't have those options. I doubt Kim did, either. If my kid got terribly ill, I couldn't retire, and, even though I do okay, I probably couldn't arrange the very best care for my kid.

I don't begrudge Joe this success. I just think he's getting more credit for taking care of his grandson than others, who might be struggling through much more difficult situations, would get.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #23: January 17, 2008, 12:39:29 PM »

I just think he's getting more credit for taking care of his grandson than others, who might be struggling through much more difficult situations, would get.

That was my point Gburg. Joe Gibbs has been canonized by the masses for years. And my point is that the lies he told are overlooked. He was beloved for his coaching success (and this is what lent him his fame otherwise we wouldn't know who Joe Gibbs is) yet his failures are overlooked. Someone mentioned that his priorities are in the right place. If that's the case why didn't he quit last year? He quit because he finally saw that he was in over his head and USED the excuse of his grandchild to bolt without being called a quitter since he insisted all the way to the end that he would not quit. Now he is being hailed as a hero that is sacrificing his coaching career to be with his grandchild. No one remembers the way he quit in 1993 and left the team in trouble. No one remembers that he tried to come back to coaching since that year but Cooke would not let him by reminding him that he was still under contract with the Redskins. The reason he left was because he saw an aging team on the downslide with the salary cap era beginning. But he was willing to come back to the Panthers a few years later. He had reasons for coming back this time too. He accomplished all the personal reasons. He got his son into coaching (although that doesn't seem to have worked out). He got recognition for his NASCAR team and now has a partnership with FedEX to show for it. He made a ton of money and people still WORSHIP him. But he failed to win and looked pathetic trying. This is no different than 1993. And his Barney Fife act Arnold Horsehack chuckle that he uses to gain affinity does not work with everybody.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #24: January 17, 2008, 12:53:03 PM »
It's easier to have your priorities in order when you have the means. The decisions are much easier to make. The way is clearer - just buy the best care available at any price. I don't have those options. I doubt Kim did, either. If my kid got terribly ill, I couldn't retire, and, even though I do okay, I probably couldn't arrange the very best care for my kid.

I don't begrudge Joe this success. I just think he's getting more credit for taking care of his grandson than others, who might be struggling through much more difficult situations, would get.

Since I already stay at home w/ my kids, I didn't have to quit a job.  That was the easy part.  But don't take that to mean that we're living rich and high on the hog.  It's a sacrifice! 

And I didn't see this as Gibbs' quitting just to take care of the grandkids or to sneak off from a not so awesome coaching stint.  And what that family is and has been going through (regardless of financial status) is hard beyond measure.  Pain doesnt' recognize status, it hits everyone and anyone. 

As a journalist, I can tell you that this feature was just that, a feature -- human interest, "Hey here's a guy who loves his family, has a grandbaby going through hell, and the bond he has w/ his family."  I'll tell you this much, I am THRILLED those grandkids have a granddaddy like him, mine don't!  My kids haven't seen my dad since Thanksgiving and he's not exactly beating down my door to see them.  As a matter of fact, I haven't heard from him since Christmas Eve morning, and he only lives 30 min. away!  I wish to God that my kids had grandparents who would visit them, take them out, want to spend time w/ them and bring them "snackie-poos" when they come visit.  But that isn't meant to be and isn't going to happen.  What a blessing for this child and his siblings to have that and it's great that the grandparents can and want to give it!  It's just a nice, feel good story!