Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158133 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #350: March 22, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »
Which one?  I used to hang out at the one in Shirlington, and kept a "growler" around for cheap refills.

The downtown one by Metro Center.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #351: March 22, 2009, 09:39:48 PM »
Capitol Chophouse near Verizon Center has some surprisingly good microbrews. I'd recommend the upstairs bar.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #352: March 22, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »
Has anybody noticed beer prices ratcheting up in the past couple months.  Normally a decent pint was going for like 5-6 bucks. Now I've been finding some as high as 7.  $7.50 20 or 24 oz (whatever they are, I think 20 though) beers at Caps games are like happy hour prices in comparison.

Anyone heading to the Preakness infield will not be allowed to bring their own beer starting this year, they're charging $3.50 for 16 ounces.  How can anyone be expected to enjoy a day at the track unless they can carry in 20 cases of cheap beers?  At the prices being charged, in this economy, how can anyone afford extras to chuck at the guys running across the tops of the urinals???

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #353: March 23, 2009, 09:12:24 AM »
Capitol Chophouse near Verizon Center has some surprisingly good microbrews. I'd recommend the upstairs bar.

Do you mean District Chop House?  Your description is apt for that fine establishment.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #354: March 23, 2009, 09:13:51 AM »
Anyone heading to the Preakness infield will not be allowed to bring their own beer starting this year, they're charging $3.50 for 16 ounces.  How can anyone be expected to enjoy a day at the track unless they can carry in 20 cases of cheap beers?  At the prices being charged, in this economy, how can anyone afford extras to chuck at the guys running across the tops of the urinals???

I'm surprised it took their lawyers this long to get around to addressing the huge liability they have in failing to control the mobs of out of control drunks.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #355: March 23, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »
Just sat down with some Fat Tire in a frosty glass I had in the fridge for almost a month because I forgot about it. So far, not bad.

which one. i got some american amber or something like that in colorado. it was the only decent beer in a can (no glass by the hot tub). it is good

Offline Dave B

« Reply #356: March 23, 2009, 07:04:17 PM »

too bad for all the neighborhood kids who used to wheel peoples' cases around in shopping carts for a fee

Offline Dave B

« Reply #357: March 23, 2009, 07:05:59 PM »
Do you mean District Chop House?  Your description is apt for that fine establishment.

(Image removed from quote.)

That place is good. I like that upstairs bar too. makes me feel classy. i think their beers are better than capital city

« Reply #358: March 23, 2009, 08:31:29 PM »
Just sat down with a homemade Reuben and a 1554 Enlightened Black Ale from New Belgium, the same makers of Fat Tire.

This is darker than a Tire with some chocolate taste. Like Fat Tire this is really smooth and easy to drink. Nowhere near as bitter as say Young's Double Chocolate Stout or Brookln's Chocolate Stout, but has a nice chocolate taste with almost no burn. This is an excellent chill session brew with no hurries to get wasted or get it finished.

The Reuben is good too.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #359: March 24, 2009, 12:45:15 AM »
I'm drinking a Young's Double Choc at this very moment, and it is NOT bitter.  But I suspect anything would taste good with a home made reuben.

But as for New Belgium, Colorado is a microbrewing mecca.  I'll be there in a week, and have three micros in Summit County I intend to visit.

Just sat down with a homemade Reuben and a 1554 Enlightened Black Ale from New Belgium, the same makers of Fat Tire.

This is darker than a Tire with some chocolate taste. Like Fat Tire this is really smooth and easy to drink. Nowhere near as bitter as say Young's Double Chocolate Stout or Brookln's Chocolate Stout, but has a nice chocolate taste with almost no burn. This is an excellent chill session brew with no hurries to get wasted or get it finished.

The Reuben is good too.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #360: March 24, 2009, 09:39:23 AM »
I found Young's to be much closer to Guiness - smooth, creamy, a lingering lightly bitter finish, than to Brooklyn's Chocolate Stout, which remains in my all-time top 3.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #361: March 24, 2009, 08:48:40 PM »

Oh c'mon Tom - Guiness is the Budweiser of dark beer.  Young's is SO much different, with so much more flavor than Guiness.  It's not like the Brooklyn Chocolate Stoudt, but please Young's ain't no Guiness !
I found Young's to be much closer to Guiness - smooth, creamy, a lingering lightly bitter finish, than to Brooklyn's Chocolate Stout, which remains in my all-time top 3.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #362: March 24, 2009, 09:50:06 PM »
I'm exposing my brewing naivete here. but I find I really like Yuengling's Black and Tan. From that what other more high brow brews would you mavens recommend?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #363: March 24, 2009, 10:02:52 PM »
I'm exposing my brewing naivete here. but I find I really like Yuengling's Black and Tan. From that what other more high brow brews would you mavens recommend?

I buy the Yuengling Black and Tan when it's on sale. Solid beer.

« Reply #364: March 24, 2009, 11:39:17 PM »
I love me some Guiness. I also love me some Young's.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #365: March 24, 2009, 11:43:13 PM »

Easily available, goes down smooth: Boddington's, Shiner Bock (DON'T LISTEN TO TOM), Sierra Nevada, New Glarus (delicious Wisconsin goodness)

Anything by Samuel Smith

Anything by Brooklyn, Troegs, or Penn Brewery

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #366: March 24, 2009, 11:45:12 PM »
I would suggest one pint of Fuller's, and then back to the Yeungling.  I love that stuff

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #367: March 25, 2009, 06:58:54 AM »
Shiner Bock (DON'T LISTEN TO TOM), 

:nono:

Listen to me, you young drinkers, don't heed the siren's call - Shiner Bock   :spaz: , it's all about marketing hype.........it's not a bock beer.............they get the dark color from old road kill.........trust me on this one.

Online blue911

« Reply #368: March 25, 2009, 07:11:11 AM »
:nono:

Listen to me, you young drinkers, don't heed the siren's call - Shiner Bock   :spaz: , it's all about marketing hype.........it's not a bock beer.............they get the dark color from old road kill.........trust me on this one.

Now there's something wrong with road kill?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #369: March 25, 2009, 07:13:38 AM »
Now there's something wrong with road kill?

Not for hardened veterans like you and me, Blue, but think of the youngsters.  They need to work their way up, just can't push 'em out there and expect them to get it right away.

Online blue911

« Reply #370: March 25, 2009, 07:16:29 AM »
Not for hardened veterans like you and me, Blue, but think of the youngsters.  They need to work their way up, just can't push 'em out there and expect them to get it right away.

Whew, that's a relief I almost spilt my beer.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #371: March 25, 2009, 07:23:51 AM »
Whew, that's a relief I almost spilt my beer.

Please don't do that, I'd feel awful if that happened.  I still haven't gotten over the trauma from last season when Salty lost a full one in Nats Park.  But I'm thinking if you come with us, the three of us could break in, you look outside for cops, and Salty and I can recreate the events that led up to the tragic loss, and I think we can find it again.

It might take an hour and a half or so, we're going to have to spend some time in the Loft re-creating the mood.

Online blue911

« Reply #372: March 25, 2009, 07:47:15 AM »
Please don't do that, I'd feel awful if that happened.  I still haven't gotten over the trauma from last season when Salty lost a full one in Nats Park.  But I'm thinking if you come with us, the three of us could break in, you look outside for cops, and Salty and I can recreate the events that led up to the tragic loss, and I think we can find it again.

It might take an hour and a half or so, we're going to have to spend some time in the Loft re-creating the mood.

Wait! Salty lost his beer?  :shock: Like when my Nana died and my Mom said we lost her?

Offline saltydad

« Reply #373: March 26, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
Wait! Salty lost his beer?  :shock: Like when my Nana died and my Mom said we lost her?

And I've been in search of it ever since. I agree Tom, a re-creation is definitely in order. You can be Holmes as I parse Watson. Blue= Inspector Lestrade.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #374: April 02, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/the_beer_at_nats_park_this_sea.html

Thought you might be interested in what's served at NATS PARK this year.