Author Topic: Following the Minor League Teams (2009)  (Read 155252 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: 2009 Following the Minor League Teams
« Reply #225: April 14, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »
Potomac's game in Salem is postponed as well, Harrisburg too...

Hagerstown is still on though... up 2-1 in the third

nice ... sucks about h-burg, desmond has been on a tear i never want him to have a day off the way he's hitting haha. 

i wonder how this affects jordan zimmermann.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #226: April 14, 2009, 09:23:51 PM »
DE-REK NOR-RIS!! :pimp:

3/4, HR, 2 Singles, 2 RBIs, 3 Runs, and a Walk. :clap:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #227: April 14, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »
Some notes from tonight's Hagerstown game:

- The game was the second of three against the Orioles Single A team, the Delmarva Shorebirds.  The Suns lost, 2-1, last night in their home opener.  2,000+ showed up for Hagerstown's first game of the season.

- Brad Peacock pitched well tonight, but the stat sheet is going to say otherwise.  The defense was abysmal, especially Stephen Souza.  He had two errors, but also had numerous other miscues that cost runs/hits.  The leftfielder, Jacobsen, also had some difficulties in the outfield tonight and probably could have done better to save some hits.  To be fair, Delmarva had their share of errors tonight, as both teams combined for 7 errors.  Peacock's final line was 4.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R (3 earned), 2 BB, and 5 SO.

- In reality, the game went to the Suns thanks in part to a complete meltdown by Shorebird reliever (Schindling), who came in for the Delmarva starter.  He hit Labrie, then walked Guerro and Englund.  Then Jacobsen knocked in all three with a bases clearing double.  The Suns got 7 runs in the 5th inning, off of 4 hits.  They finally drove in runs, which has been a major problem as of late.

- While Ronnie Labrie's 4 game hitting streak ended, he did get on base 4 times (2 errors, 1 walk, 1 HBP) and scored twice.  He has really been impressing in the first part of the season.

- Derek Norris had a great day.  He had two singles (one knocked the opposing starting pitcher out of the game) and a walk.  Then, in the 6th inning and crushed a ball out of the park.  The Shorebird's announcer acted like Norris was showboating or something and predicted that he would be beaned next time up.   Never happened...

- Austin Garret came in after Peacock and pitched well.  He pitched 3.0 innings, let up one hit, one walk, one earned run, while striking out three.  He has now struck out 5 batters in 4.1 innings of relief, but has let up 2 ER and 2 BB as well.

- Tomorrow, Jack McGeary takes the mound for the Suns as they try to take the rubber game and their first home series of the year.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #228: April 14, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »

- The game was the second of three against the Orioles Single A team, the Delmarva Shorebirds.  The Suns lost, 2-1, last night in their home opener.  2,000+ showed up for Hagerstown's first game of the season.

- Brad Peacock pitched well tonight, but the stat sheet is going to say otherwise.  The defense was abysmal, especially Stephen Souza.  He had two errors, but also had numerous other miscues that cost runs/hits.  The leftfielder, Jacobsen, also had some difficulties in the outfield tonight and probably could have done better to save some hits.  To be fair, Delmarva had their share of errors tonight, as both teams combined for 7 errors.  Peacock's final line was 4.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R (3 earned), 2 BB, and 5 SO.

- In reality, the game went to the Suns thanks in part to a complete meltdown by Shorebird reliever (Schindling), who came in for the Delmarva starter.  He hit Labrie, then walked Guerro and Englund.  Then Jacobsen knocked in all three with a bases clearing double.  The Suns got 7 runs in the 5th inning, off of 4 hits.  They finally drove in runs, which has been a major problem as of late.

- While Ronnie Labrie's 4 game hitting streak ended, he did get on base 4 times (2 errors, 1 walk, 1 HBP) and scored twice.  He has really been impressing in the first part of the season.

- Derek Norris had a great day.  He had two singles (one knocked the opposing starting pitcher out of the game) and a walk.  Then, in the 6th inning and crushed a ball out of the park.  The Shorebird's announcer acted like Norris was showboating or something and predicted that he would be beaned next time up.   Never happened...

- Austin Garret came in after Peacock and pitched well.  He pitched 3.0 innings, let up one hit, one walk, one earned run, while striking out three.  He has now struck out 5 batters in 4.1 innings of relief, but has let up 2 ER and 2 BB as well.

- Tomorrow, Jack McGeary takes the mound for the Suns as they try to take the rubber game and their first home series of the year.

thanks for the notes.  so pretty much it was like yesterday nats game: terrible defense, lots of offense.  good to see peacock with the 6 k's.  don't know much about austin garret, but i'm intrigued.  this is a big year for englund.  good to see norris continue to kick butt.

so excited for another McGeary start.  CMDterps and I were talking about him on the way to the beach this past weekend and how we are pumped to see him climb our farm system.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #229: April 14, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »

- Derek Norris had a great day.  He had two singles (one knocked the opposing starting pitcher out of the game) and a walk.  Then, in the 6th inning and crushed a ball out of the park.  The Shorebird's announcer acted like Norris was showboating or something and predicted that he would be beaned next time up.   Never happened...

Thanks for the report. Any indication on how Norris's Defense is behind the plate?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #230: April 14, 2009, 10:35:35 PM »

- Brad Peacock pitched well tonight, but the stat sheet is going to say otherwise.  The defense was abysmal, especially Stephen Souza.  He had two errors, but also had numerous other miscues that cost runs/hits. 

Souza looks like Adam Dunn playing 3B. It's horrifying. I don't think he'll ever make it unless he changes positions. It sounds mean, but it's what I saw.

DE-REK NOR-RIS!! :pimp:

3/4, HR, 2 Singles, 2 RBIs, 3 Runs, and a Walk. :clap:

I'm telling you - he's the next Biggio. That's a complement. Biggio is one of the all time greats IMO.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #231: April 14, 2009, 11:01:24 PM »
Thanks for the report. Any indication on how Norris's Defense is behind the plate?

I have only listened to two games so far this season for Hagerstown.  Both games, Norris was the catcher, but the pitchers (Peacock and McGeary) both were under control and didn't make any mistakes to test Norris.  I know some people around here will love it, but it sounds like he is calling some pretty good games.  So far, no serious issues with his catching this season.  Let us hope it stays that way.

so excited for another McGeary start.  CMDterps and I were talking about him on the way to the beach this past weekend and how we are pumped to see him climb our farm system.

I am excited about McGeary as well this season.  I think, now that he is focused on the full season, he could end up having that BIG year we have all been waiting for.  If he pitches to his potential, he will be in Potomac by the beginning of June, where he would end up being the Ross Detwiler of this year's P-Nat's squad (wishful thinking :pray:).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #232: April 14, 2009, 11:03:07 PM »
damn. per NFA Brian's site:

Sources have told me that the Nationals have placed OF Leonard Davis on waivers. This move seems likely a component of the move today involving OF Lastings Milledge today. My guess is the Nationals are opening a 40-man spot for IF Alex Cintron. With MIFs Ronnie Belliard and Cristian Guzman battling injuries (back and hamstring, respectively), the Nationals need another middle infield option.

Davis was added to the 40-man after the 2008 season. If he clears waivers, he’s likely to stay at Harrisburg.

wow, what a joke. I hope no one claims him. Josh Whitesell all over again.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #233: April 14, 2009, 11:04:25 PM »
I have only listened to two games so far this season for Hagerstown.  Both games, Norris was the catcher, but the pitchers (Peacock and McGeary) both were under control and didn't make any mistakes to test Norris.  I know some people around here will love it, but it sounds like he is calling some pretty good games.  So far, no serious issues with his catching this season.  Let us hope it stays that way.

I am excited about McGeary as well this season.  I think, now that he is focused on the full season, he could end up having that BIG year we have all been waiting for.  If he pitches to his potential, he will be in Potomac by the beginning of June, where he would end up being the Ross Detwiler of this year's P-Nat's squad (wishful thinking :pray:).

definitely. I'm very high on McGeary. Might have been our best draft pick in terms of value ever so far.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #234: April 14, 2009, 11:05:24 PM »
damn. per NFA Brian's site:

wow, what a joke. I hope no one claims him. Josh Whitesell all over again.

Sucks, but I doubt he gets a shot this season anyway.  Hopefully no one claims him, he had an excellent season last year.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #235: April 14, 2009, 11:07:07 PM »
Sucks, but I doubt he gets a shot this season anyway.  Hopefully no one claims him, he had an excellent season last year.
why not just dump Dmitri Young, Wil Ledezma, or Josh Bard? What a poor, poor decision by Rizzo. Davis might not pan out but I like his bat and it's way too early to give up on him.

Wasn't he our hitter of the year last season?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #236: April 14, 2009, 11:09:52 PM »
just get rid of bard/nieves right now please.  don't lose davis, don't lose davis, don't lose davis.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #237: April 14, 2009, 11:11:21 PM »
WHAT!?

Rizzo, you moron! :doh:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #238: April 14, 2009, 11:19:35 PM »
Potomac's game from today has been moved to Thursday.  They will play a double header against Salem starting at 5:05 PM, with each game lasting 7 innings.  Erik Arnesen is now scheduled to start tomorrow's game, which will start at the regular scheduled time of 7:05 PM and will last 9 innings.

No word on what Harrisburg and Syracuse plan on doing with their postponed games...

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #239: April 15, 2009, 01:29:57 PM »
Today's Match-Ups (4/15/09)

AAA: [7:05 PM] Syracuse (1-4) TBA @ Lehigh Valley (1-4) Kyle Kendrick
AA: [7:05 PM] Harrisburg (1-3) Michael O'Conner @ Trenton (2-2) Eric Hacker
A+: [7:05 PM] Potomac (2-3) Erik Arnesen @ Salem (2-3) Kyle Weiland
A:   [6:35 PM] Hagerstown (4-2) Jack McGeary vs Delmarva (4-2) Cole McCurry  *POSTPONED

Notes:

-  In is pretty sad how hard it is to get information regarding our minor league teams (excluding Potomac).  I can easily figure out what I need to know (probable starters, changes in the schedule, etc.) from nearly every other organization's minor league team's pages.  I really hope that our system steps up in regards to this issue.

-  Harrisburg's postponed game will be made up on July 29th as part of a double header.

-  Still no word on who gets the start tonight for Syracuse.  Knowing how info travels for the Nats, we probably will not know until first pitch.

-  McGeary had a 5.2 IP outing last time, giving up 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, and striking out 7.  Delmarva has a decent squad, so I would love to see him put up the same type of numbers again.  A win today would put Hagerstown tied for first with Kannapolis.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #240: April 15, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »
still no word on JZ? :?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #241: April 15, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
still no word on JZ? :?

The Lehigh website has the probables tonight as Kyle Kendrick and Collin Balestar.  It is probably more of a guess, so take it for what it is worth.

Also, the Syracuse game from yesterday will not be made up during this current series.  New date TBD.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #242: April 15, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
BA talked about McGeary and Norris in their daily dish today

Wednesday Dish: Norris Hones In

Posted Apr. 15, 2009 12:21 pm by Jim Shonerd
Filed under: Daily Dish

The Nationals dispatched 20-year-old catcher Derek Norris to low Class A Hagerstown with the hope he’ll improve his defense to the point it rivals his considerable offensive potential. So far, the returns on both fronts have been positive.

The Nationals drafted Norris in the fourth round of the 2007 draft out of a Kansas high school, and the righthanded hitter has become the organization’s best catching prospect in years, thanks largely to his power and mature approach at the plate.

"He’s got a pretty good plan when he goes to the plate," Hagerstown manager Matthew LeCroy said. "He’s got pretty good plate coverage. He can hit the ball out to right and center field. He’s got a pretty good eye. He’s patient and has good bat speed."

Playing against mostly older competition, Norris led the short-season New York-Penn League in walks (63) and on-base percentage last year while hitting .278/.444/.463 in 227 at-bats with Vermont. He also led the Lake Monsters in home runs with 10.

Through six games with Hagerstown, Norris is off to a .292/.393/.542 (7-for-24) start. He had his best showing of the young season last night, going 3-for-4 with a home run in an 11-5 win over Delmarva. His home run was line drive to right-center field off Shorebirds righthander Raul Rivero to lead off the sixth inning.

"His earlier at-bats, he had two strikes," LeCroy said. "He just can battle. He can foul pitches off and just waits until he gets his pitch. He’s actually made some good adjustments at the plate. He got a base hit up the middle and a base hit between third and short.

"He’s a mature hitter for his age."

Norris’ defense hasn’t been too shabby either. He didn’t start playing catcher until his senior year of high school, and his inexperience showed last year as he committed 16 passed balls. However, he hasn’t allowed one this year through five starts behind the plate, and LeCroy, a former big league catcher himself, has been impressed with the 6-foot, 210-pounder’s athleticism and arm strength.

"He’s got a good arm. He’s an athletic guy," said LeCroy, a former big league catcher. "Even though he’s big, he can run, so he’s pretty agile back there. We’re just trying to hone in on his game calling and keeping his energy going. It’s going to come with playing and observing."

McGeary Goes Tonight

Norris’ batterymate tonight will be lefthander Jack McGeary, who impressed in his full-season debut last week against Lake County. The 20-year-old tossed 5 2/3 shutout innings and fanned seven while walking only one and giving up three hits. LeCroy said McGeary’s fastball ranged from 88-91 mph and was impressed with his maturity.

"What I like about him is he seems pretty poised for being so young," LeCroy said. "He has an idea of what he wants to do on every pitch. He throws his fastball in and away. His changeup is  probably, I think, his second best pitch. He’s got good arm speed on all his offspeed pitches. His curveball is pretty good, too. He has a chance to have two or three plus pitches."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=3457#more-3457

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #243: April 15, 2009, 01:47:05 PM »
I like that Norris has a former big league catcher as a manager down at Hagerstown.  Even if it is Matt LeCroy...

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #244: April 15, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
Norris has filled out. I don't think he was 210 when I saw him last year. He looked pretty lean.

Offline PANatsFan

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #246: April 15, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
Collin Balester w/ a really quick 1-2-3 1st inning (strike out, couple ground outs) ... I like it!!!

Audio: http://www.sportsradio620.com/main.html
Gameday: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2009_04_15_syraaa_lhvaaa_1

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #247: April 15, 2009, 07:55:12 PM »
haha lehigh valley just got two runs in off a broken bat shallow drop in to center ... we can't get luck on any level of our organization.  bally is pitching decent, obviously much better if that bloop didn't happen.  3-0 iron pigs after 3. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #248: April 15, 2009, 07:56:43 PM »
doesn't sound good to me. 4 hits, 2 walks, and 3 runs given up in 3 innings.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #249: April 15, 2009, 08:00:57 PM »
doesn't sound good to me. 4 hits, 2 walks, and 3 runs given up in 3 innings.

of course it doesn't ... it has to be one of your boys for that kind of line to sound good. 

i'm listening and the pbp guy just said bally hasn't been that bad.  and when did i say good?!?!

he gave up one hard hit double for one run and a broken bat blooper that fell in for two runs.  one of those walks was intentional.