Author Topic: Following the Minor League Teams (2009)  (Read 155257 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: 2009 Following the Minor League Teams
« Reply #125: April 09, 2009, 09:31:40 PM »
looks like the Nats minor league teams are about to finish off the day a combined 0-4. how fitting. :?

Bullpen issues across the board, but there was definitely some encouraging things out there.  Kory Casto, Danny Espinosa, and Brad Peacock had good openers.  Marrero had a multi-hit game after returning from a season ending injury.  Burgess also had a multi-hit game and didn't strike out once (both him and Marrero had 2 RBIs apiece).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #126: April 09, 2009, 09:35:28 PM »
Bullpen issues across the board, but there was definitely some encouraging things out there.  Kory Casto, Danny Espinosa, and Brad Peacock had good openers.  Marrero had a multi-hit game after returning from a season ending injury.  Burgess also had a multi-hit game and didn't strike out once (both him and Marrero had 2 RBIs apiece).
yep definitely some positives to take from today's games.

Our clear weak spot in our farm system is lack of many quality relievers. Seriously we have little to no decent bullpen prospects. Zinicola and Carr are busts. I really cannot think of many solid relievers at all. Wilkie had a good year last season. Novoa maybe. Obviously Mock and Bergmann in AAA.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #127: April 09, 2009, 09:54:46 PM »
He projects as a high OBP guy with some decent pop.  As far as the defense goes, I am sure the Nats still want to see if he can make it as a catcher.  If not, he probably will get moved to first.

I don't think he has the physical size to play 1st. Maybe the outfield. He really really reminds me of Biggio.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #128: April 09, 2009, 09:57:11 PM »
nice game for Edgardo Baez. 4/4 with a Double, 3 Singles, and 2 Runs scored. He also had an outfield assist.

I wasn't aware that Baez is still pretty young (23). He could have a big year for Harrisburg.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #129: April 09, 2009, 10:00:18 PM »
yep definitely some positives to take from today's games.

Our clear weak spot in our farm system is lack of many quality relievers. Seriously we have little to no decent bullpen prospects. Zinicola and Carr are busts. I really cannot think of many solid relievers at all. Wilkie had a good year last season. Novoa maybe. Obviously Mock and Bergmann in AAA.

Wilkie always sounds like a cutesy nickname for Wilkerson

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #130: April 09, 2009, 10:06:21 PM »
I don't think he has the physical size to play 1st. Maybe the outfield. He really really reminds me of Biggio.

Whoops, I got him mixed up with Dan Killian (height wise that is).  I haven't seen Norris in person yet, so I don't have any idea what he physically looks like.  At six feet, it is probably catcher or bust.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #131: April 09, 2009, 10:12:28 PM »
Love our performances from our starting pitching today from low A-Hagerstown to AAA-Syracuse ... Peacock, Arnesen, O'Connor and Zimmermann.  (although, I'd still like to see O'Connor move to then pen in Cuse)

Good day for some of the bats - Marrero/Burgess/Casto/King/Baez/Norris.

What is the book on Arnesen, I've never seen him pitch, have only heard really good things.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #132: April 09, 2009, 10:12:48 PM »
Seth Bynum with a Solo shot in the 9th to tie up the Senators 5-5 with Reading. :clap:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #133: April 09, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »
Seth Bynum with a Solo shot in the 9th to tie up the Senators 5-5 with Reading. :clap:

yeah ... damnit leonard davis struck out and bill rhinehart GIDP after Desmond got a single.  Desmond has been on base 3 times tonight :clap:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #134: April 09, 2009, 10:15:19 PM »
yeah ... damnit leonard davis struck out and bill rhinehart GIDP after Desmond got a single.  Desmond has been on base 3 times tonight :clap:
Desmond is going to prove everyone wrong and have a big year I believe. :clap:

tough night for Rhinehart. 0/5 with a K and a DP.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #135: April 09, 2009, 10:17:18 PM »
Desmond is going to prove everyone wrong and have a big year I believe. :clap:

tough night for Rhinehart. 0/5 with a K and a DP.

i've always been a huge desmond fan - ever since frank spoke up about him in spring training a few years back and claimed this kid would turn out to be a major league player.  i have a feeling he'll reach the majors this year or next.  he has the tools, he just needs to be consistent and put it all together.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #136: April 09, 2009, 10:30:52 PM »
Baez draws a walk in the top of 10th, then steals second base.  Jon Solano then hits him over to third and Marvin Lowrance drives him in for the go ahead run.  Let's go Sens, hold on to this one.  The Nats organization needs a win!

Zinicola on to close out the game :pray:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #137: April 09, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »
Zech almost blew it (hit a batter and walked another), but he pulled the save off.  Matt Avery of Fairfax, VA and Ryan Zimmerman's former UVA roommate picks up the win.

Nats farm teams = 1/4 today  :'(

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #138: April 09, 2009, 10:45:48 PM »
Zech almost blew it (hit a batter and walked another), but he pulled the save off.  Matt Avery of Fairfax, VA and Ryan Zimmerman's former UVA roommate picks up the win.

Nats farm teams = 1/4 today  :'(
Harrisburg is going to be so damn good this year. What a great game by Baez. :clap:

All our farm teams will be good I believe. This is by far the best team Hagerstown has ever had since they have been a Nationals affiliate. Potomac and Cuse will be really good too.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #139: April 09, 2009, 10:48:42 PM »
there you go sf, you're positive!!!

[harrisburg][/senators]

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #140: April 09, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »
there you go sf, you're positive!!!

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
I believe in our farm system. always have. I think this year is going to be the best yet. We are going to shoot up the organizational ranking charts. We've never had this many quality hitters before.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #141: April 09, 2009, 10:51:43 PM »
I agree.

And just wait until June when J.P. Ramirez, Adrian Nieto, and Destin Hood will all get PT. :az:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #142: April 09, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
I agree.

And just wait until June when J.P. Ramirez, Adrian Nieto, and Destin Hood will all get PT. :az:

i'm as excited about these three kids as i am any three in our organization.  ramirez may be the darkhorse to shoot up to the majors quickly.

few quick topics for debate:
>what are everyone's expectations for cory van allen?
>who is your pitching sleeper prospect (bit under the radar, you expect to have a big year)
>who is your hitting sleeper prospect

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #143: April 09, 2009, 11:13:03 PM »
i'm as excited about these three kids as i am any three in our organization.  ramirez may be the darkhorse to shoot up to the majors quickly.

few quick topics for debate:
>what are everyone's expectations for cory van allen?
>who is your pitching sleeper prospect (bit under the radar, you expect to have a big year)
>who is your hitting sleeper prospect
I'm excited to see what VanAllen can do but I still get the feeling that his injury last year really screwed him over. He was on the road to the bigs Lannan-style last year before getting hurt. I think he'll be okay but not great maybe (4.00-4.50 ERA).

Pitching prospect: There are a lot of them but I like Graham Hicks alot. It will be interesting to see where he starts the season (Vermont?). Another guy I like is Will Atwood who put up mediocre numbers in college at South Carolina but dominated in Vermont last year.

Hitting prospect: Ian Desmond. watch out, he is finally going to put it all together. Some other "sleepers" I like to have good seasons are Edgardo Baez, Stephen King, and Roger Bernadina.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #144: April 09, 2009, 11:15:07 PM »

I like how the Nats are taking all those kids slow, seeing as they are all coming off high school seasons and need a year to get acclimated to a full pro season.  I expect big things from all three.

>what are everyone's expectations for cory van allen?  A solid season this year at AA, maybe some AAA at the end of season.  If he can show some good stuff again this season, then I think a spring training invitation would be in order for next year.  Maybe a call up at some point next season.

>who is your pitching sleeper prospect (bit under the radar, you expect to have a big year):  Patrick Arnold or Tom Milone (I like SFs pick too, Atwood)

>who is your hitting sleeper prospect:  Marcus Jones

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #145: April 09, 2009, 11:37:32 PM »
I agree.

Our catching pipeline has 3 potential major leaguers. That's an excellent place to be.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #146: April 10, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »
Balester is freaking melting down in the 4th inning.

Single. Single. Walk. Wild Pitch. Hit by Pitch. Hit by Pitch. :spaz:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #147: April 10, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »
Balestar got the start for the Chiefs today.  He was doing fine in the first two innings, but the second time around the Red Wing's order he got rocked.  He completely imploded in the 4th inning, loading the bases and then hitting a batter to bring home a run.  I'm just listening to the game, but it seems like Balestar is having trouble locating his pitches.  He won't be up to the big league anytime soon.

On a side note, instead of issuing maple or ash bats to their minor leaguers, the Twins are attempting to use birch bats.  I assume this is an attempt to find a medium between the exploding maples and unpopular ash.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #148: April 10, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »
Yikes.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #149: April 10, 2009, 05:04:01 PM »
On a side note, instead of issuing maple or ash bats to their minor leaguers, the Twins are attempting to use birch bats.  I assume this is an attempt to find a medium between the exploding maples and unpopular ash.
I just hope they make a permanent switch to birch soon so we can stop having to hear Bob Carpenter whine about maple bats.