Author Topic: BREAKING: Strasburg to Syracuse! (As if we didn't already know this edition)  (Read 2629 times)

Offline Grandstander

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

05/01/10 12:46 PM ET

NEW YORK -- After Sunday's game against Double-A Altoona, Nationals right-hander Stephen Strasburg will be a step closer to the big leagues. According to a source in the Nationals organization, Strasburg is expected to be promoted to Triple-A Syracuse provided the weather is good for Sunday's game and he dominates on the mound.

The Nationals have not confirmed that Strasburg, the No.1 overall pick in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, will be promoted after his Sunday start. Strasburg will pitch five innings or throw 85 pitches for Double-A Harrisburg.

Once the promotion is announced, Strasburg could pitch against Triple-A Gwinnett late next week.

General manager Mike Rizzo was not available for comment, but said Wednesday that Strasburg will eventually go to Triple-A Syracuse. Strasburg has been dominant for Harrisburg, allowing one run in 17 1/3 innings and striking out 23.

"As he progresses, he is going to go to Syracuse and is going to pitch there until we deem he is ready to go to the next level," Rizzo said. "It's reasonable to assume he is going to be in Syracuse sometime soon.

"He is doing everything we thought he would do and more. He seems to get better and better and stronger and stronger each start."

So he hasn't actually had the call-up yet...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
So he hasn't actually had the call-up yet...

Sounds as if it's "pending". Meaning that their decision was leaked and they're trying to make it seem as if it's not written in stone yet.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Thank god it is after Sunday's games.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Offline John

... it is after Sunday's games.

What if it's a rainout?

Storms are predicted. I'm assuming he gets one more start for Harrisburg before putting on a Syracuse uniform.

Offline hammondsnats

What if it's a rainout?

Storms are predicted. I'm assuming he gets one more start for Harrisburg before putting on a Syracuse uniform.

tomorrow in harrisburg it says mostly cloudy at the start of the game ... i think he'll be able to get his work in.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Good marketing all around. He absolutely needs to be promoted, especially if he has yet another dominant game. The kid needs to pitch in as many challenging situations as possible.

Online aspenbubba

They sent Storen ahead to find a place for them to live and bring Srasburgs' luggage.

Offline John

tomorrow in harrisburg it says mostly cloudy at the start of the game ... i think he'll be able to get his work in.

Well, that's new. I pulled up a Harrisburg forecast this morning and they were calling for storms. I'm not that far but I don't want to make the trip tomorrow and take a chance that the game will be rained out.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Good marketing all around. He absolutely needs to be promoted, especially if he has yet another dominant game. The kid needs to pitch in as many challenging situations as possible.

Well, now is it up in the air?
Well, that's new. I pulled up a Harrisburg forecast this morning and they were calling for storms. I'm not that far but I don't want to make the trip tomorrow and take a chance that the game will be rained out.

Didja go?

Offline John

Well, now is it up in the air?
Didja go?

No I didn't. I ran some errands and watched the Pittsburgh vs. Montreal hockey playoff game instead.

Hearing about his performance yesterday makes me think I made the right desicion. I'm about 1.5 hours from Harrisburg. I wish he was there for another start because I really wanted to see him.

I'm not sure if the Nats are making the right decision with him. I think I'd perfer to see him as a September callup.

Offline Sniper 1

There is an interview coming up in a minute on ESPN 980 with Curt Schilling.  They teased it by saying, "wait until you hear the great things he has to say about Steven Strasburg."

Offline John

There is an interview coming up in a minute on ESPN 980 with Curt Schilling.  They teased it by saying, "wait until you hear the great things he has to say about Steven Strasburg."

Of course he will. I have never heard anything bad about him!

I hope the Nats are not rushing him and he will not get hurt. I guess I'm in the minority that would like to see him complete the rest of the season with Syracuse.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I guess I'm in the minority that would like to see him complete the rest of the season with Syracuse.

I would think so.  Some wanted him to break camp with the Nats.  Others, myself included, want him to stay down long enough to both gain a little bit of seasoning, work on a few flaws (holding runners, fielding his position) and as soon as those skills and his arbitration clock issue are past, bring him up.  If he's ready, and he almost certainly is, why hold him down in favor of lesser talents?

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
I would think so.  Some wanted him to break camp with the Nats.  Others, myself included, want him to stay down long enough to both gain a little bit of seasoning, work on a few flaws (holding runners, fielding his position) and as soon as those skills and his arbitration clock issue are past, bring him up.  If he's ready, and he almost certainly is, why hold him down in favor of lesser talents?

According to the stadium gun he was only throwing 95 with runners on base as oppossed to 97 from the full wind-up.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
According to the stadium gun he was only throwing 95 with runners on base as oppossed to 97 from the full wind-up.

Maybe he was working on two seamers in the stretch opposed to four seamers in the windup?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Maybe he was working on two seamers in the stretch opposed to four seamers in the windup?

It was his changeup.

:P

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I would think so.  Some wanted him to break camp with the Nats.  Others, myself included, want him to stay down long enough to both gain a little bit of seasoning, work on a few flaws (holding runners, fielding his position) and as soon as those skills and his arbitration clock issue are past, bring him up.  If he's ready, and he almost certainly is, why hold him down in favor of lesser talents?

To give him a full year to get used to a five day pitching schedule and strengthen his arm.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought of the possibility of him staying in Syracuse all year. It just won't happen. But I have been in the minority wanting him to be babied along and for him to be kept in the minors as long as possible. Not because of fielding his position or stretch times, but because I don't want to see him get injured.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
To give him a full year to get used to a five day pitching schedule and strengthen his arm.

To be honest, I hadn't even thought of the possibility of him staying in Syracuse all year. It just won't happen. But I have been in the minority wanting him to be babied along and for him to be kept in the minors as long as possible. Not because of fielding his position or stretch times, but because I don't want to see him get injured.

But some think there's only so many bullets in that gun, and firing them in practice (the minors) means less ammunition when he makes the bigs.  Don't forget there's a substantial number of pundits and observers who think his mechanics are going to lead to arm problems, and if true keeping him down longer does not help in getting maximum return.

Offline JMUalumni

Don't forget there's a substantial number of pundits and observers who think his mechanics are going to lead to arm problems, and if true keeping him down longer does not help in getting maximum return.

I've seen a few, but hardly anything substantial.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
But some think there's only so many bullets in that gun, and firing them in practice (the minors) means less ammunition when he makes the bigs. Don't forget there's a substantial number of pundits and observers who think his mechanics are going to lead to arm problems, and if true keeping him down longer does not help in getting maximum return.

I haven't forgotten, I just disagree with them. You can't change Strasburg's armslot; all you can do is manage his workload, make sure he is properly conditioned, and fine tune his mechanics.

http://www.nationalpitching.net/sampleart.asp

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
But some think there's only so many bullets in that gun, and firing them in practice (the minors) means less ammunition when he makes the bigs.  Don't forget there's a substantial number of pundits and observers who think his mechanics are going to lead to arm problems, and if true keeping him down longer does not help in getting maximum return.
whether his inverted W means he's likely more likely for injury or whether it is natural and not an indicator of a problem, I think there is another limit to the bullets in his arm argument.  We control him 6+ years in MLB.  Unless he does not come up at all this year, he is out of our control after 2016 (barring a contract).  How big the "+" is depends on how much of the post late may time this year he is up.  If there are baseball reasons to keep him down (Innings management, stress, readiness), then that should not matter, but if he's ready, and everyone says so, then let's start firing up here.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Schilling sounds impressed with Strasburg saying he is a "top ten pitcher in MLB now". :clap: Better than I was expecting.

Is it June 1st yet?