Author Topic: Andrew Brown  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Andrew Brown
« Topic Start: April 20, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
Was cruising NFA's site when I saw a transaction that the Nats added RP Andrew Brown to AAA Syracuse.

What a great move by Rizzo.

Brown has bounced around the majors mainly due to injuries but he could be a big boost to the bullpen down the line.

In 78 career games, he's got an ERA of 3.84 and a WHIP of 1.304.

Of course I love the guy because he was a former Indians farm hand... but trust me, he can pitch!

In 2007, he was siting 94.7 MPH on his fastball. I know he's touched 99-100 a couple times in his career.

He blew out his arm in 2008, and took 2009 off, but if he can come back and be the pitcher he was in 2007, its another steal for Rizzo.

Currently he's only pitch 1.1 IP in Syracuse but he's got 3 K's and a WHIP of 0.00.

Baseball-Reference page: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brownan01-pitch.shtml

Fangraphs page: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=2115&position=P

MiLB page: http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=t552&t=p_pbp&pid=408046

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Andrew Brown
« Reply #1: April 20, 2010, 08:55:27 PM »
I had the same thoughts.  Very nice scrap heap pick-up.  He had some success with the A's.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #2: April 20, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
Damn, not a bad pickup if he can put up numbers like that.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #3: April 20, 2010, 09:23:02 PM »
2 IP 0 H 0 R 0 BB 2 K for Brown tonight :az:

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #4: April 21, 2010, 08:14:02 AM »
What is his velocity back up to?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #5: April 21, 2010, 10:32:19 AM »
Don't know to be honest.

Liking the line so far, though.

3.1 IP, 5 K's. 0.00 WHIP

Offline mdbrownie15

« Reply #6: April 21, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »
the last two outings andrew has had, his fastball was 91-94 mph.  he throws a plus slider and a good curve ball, he also has gained a lot of confidence in his change up as well. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #7: April 21, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
Awesome!

I always wanted him to be closer of the future in Cleveland... was terribly sad when they traded Brown and Kouz to San Diego for Barf-field.

Really hope Andrew can contribute for the Nats at some point!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #8: April 21, 2010, 04:01:45 PM »
the last two outings andrew has had, his fastball was 91-94 mph.  he throws a plus slider and a good curve ball, he also has gained a lot of confidence in his change up as well. 

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Brown.  Hope your son makes his career breakthrough right here with the Nats!  :lol:

Gosh knows we're due a couple of breakouts.    :?

Offline mdbrownie15

« Reply #9: April 21, 2010, 05:14:38 PM »
good guess, but i am his older brother.  he was having a fantastic start to the 08 season in oakland before his shoulder went bad.  he went the longest that year of any relief pitcher without giving up a run.  i am with you, though, i do hope he has a breakout year.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: April 21, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »
He was having a fantastic start to the 08 season in oakland before his shoulder went bad.  he went the longest that year of any relief pitcher without giving up a run. 

Yep. I've always kept track of Andrew ever since he was traded to the Tribe with Franklin Gutierrez.

I'm a big Indians fan... and as I said, I was heartbroken to see him go.

So glad to have him back in an organization I follow!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #11: April 21, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
good guess, but i am his older brother.  he was having a fantastic start to the 08 season in oakland before his shoulder went bad.  he went the longest that year of any relief pitcher without giving up a run.  i am with you, though, i do hope he has a breakout year.

He had a velocity jump from 07 to 08. Related? Was he overthrowing? Welcome, and thanks for the info.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: April 21, 2010, 08:00:15 PM »

Cool, welcome to the WNFF.  You aren't the only family member to join, though some of them prefer to remain anonymous.  Make yourself comfortable, and if your little brat brother pisses you off, you can always come here to tell some good stories on him.   :lol:  Remember, it's just between us.    ;)

Offline mdbrownie15

« Reply #13: April 21, 2010, 10:08:42 PM »
He had a velocity jump from 07 to 08. Related? Was he overthrowing? Welcome, and thanks for the info.

no, i don't think he was overthrowing.  it was more of a perfect storm.  he was a little over 5 years removed from tommy john, and a few years removed from cleaning his elbow out.  like most of you know, your elbow gets stronger after tommy john.  he really started taking care of his body, and getting alot stronger.  one of this big things was the fact he was a starter coming up, and he was throwing 94-95.  when the indians moved him to be a relief pitcher, he could just rear back and throw it with out trying to go 8 innings.  lastly his mechanics were a little better as well.

peace     

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #14: April 26, 2010, 08:54:27 AM »
Cool, welcome to the WNFF.  You aren't the only family member to join, though some of them prefer to remain anonymous.  Make yourself comfortable, and if your little brat brother pisses you off, you can always come here to tell some good stories on him.   :lol:  Remember, it's just between us.    ;)
Welcome to the Club. Great win yesterday.  Have fun on the board. The guys are really smart and really funny.  :lol:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #15: June 02, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »
I'm guessing the Nats let Brown go... he's on the Cardinals AAA roster... tearing it up.

I don't have a clue why he wasn't kept by the Nats after putting up great numbers to start the year. 10/3 K/BB in just 7.1 IP with a 2.45 ERA and a .82 WHIP. I guess Bergmann, Villone and Garate were too hard to give up for a proven MLB arm like Brown. :roll:

In three games with the Cards AAA team, Brown has a 5/1 K/BB, 0.00 ERA and a WHIP of .71.

Great job, brain trust.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #16: June 02, 2010, 08:13:11 AM »
I'm guessing the Nats let Brown go... he's on the Cardinals AAA roster... tearing it up.

I don't have a clue why he wasn't kept by the Nats after putting up great numbers to start the year. 10/3 K/BB in just 7.1 IP with a 2.45 ERA and a .82 WHIP. I guess Bergmann, Villone and Garate were too hard to give up for a proven MLB arm like Brown. :roll:

In three games with the Cards AAA team, Brown has a 5/1 K/BB, 0.00 ERA and a WHIP of .71.

Great job, brain trust.

5 games? Could be a fluke.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #17: June 02, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »
What would cause them to release him? Bad attitude? jerk?

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #18: June 02, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »
 Yea, I'm right with the " A :clown:" on this one. What's the story -what happened?      

What? Did he pull a Roy Oswalt  "I'm not talking to you, I'm not talking to you, UMP.......

:shrug:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #19: June 02, 2010, 10:51:15 AM »
What would cause them to release him? Bad attitude? jerk?

From what I gathered from the MiLB transaction page.... he was 'assigned' from Vermont to St. Louis's AAA team. I'm guessing we either got cash, or a low-low-low-low-low level player in his return for him.

Still, bad idea.

Offline blue911

« Reply #20: June 02, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »
From what I gathered from the MiLB transaction page.... he was 'assigned' from Vermont to St. Louis's AAA team. I'm guessing we either got cash, or a low-low-low-low-low level player in his return for him.

Still, bad idea.

That's really weird. If he was truly assigned to Memphis, the Nationals would control his rights. This used to happen more often in the Phil Wood era, but I don't believe there is any rule against it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #21: June 03, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »

That's really weird. If he was truly assigned to Memphis, the Nationals would control his rights. This used to happen more often in the Phil Wood era, but I don't believe there is any rule against it.

So the roster is full at Syracuse, but they want to keep his rights? Neat-o if true.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #22: June 03, 2010, 04:22:09 PM »
So the roster is full at Syracuse, but they want to keep his rights? Neat-o if true.

http://stlcardinals.scout.com/a.z?s=321&p=8&c=1&nid=4977037

Not true. You guys should use the google more.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/05/minor-league-transactions-1.html

Future considerations. Bag of baseballs.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #23: June 03, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »
http://stlcardinals.scout.com/a.z?s=321&p=8&c=1&nid=4977037

Not true. You guys should use the google more.

If you go read the MiLB transaction page... it literally says that he was assigned from Vermont to Memphis.

They should probably make a distinction as to how/why he was assigned there.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #24: June 03, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
If you go read the MiLB transaction page... it literally says that he was assigned from Vermont to Memphis.

They should probably make a distinction as to how/why he was assigned there.

It was a trade. Poor job on MiLB's part.