Author Topic: Gio to Nats  (Read 38905 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Gio to Nats
« Reply #625: January 06, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
Halfsmokes - to get to Maya or Stammen, it would take 3 pitchers down for some reason: 7-3=4 for 5 rotation slots.  I agree that we can expect to have Strasburg hitting an innings cap some time in the last 40 games.  Wang will pitch until his arm falls off. It may, but if he can go 200 innings, they will trot him out.  He is a risk of injury, but there will be no voluntary innings limit on him. The team I believe has said so.  JZ does not have a significant limit.   180 - 195 innings is a full season for most pitchers.  Lannan and Gio both go full seasons.  So, it is conceivable that we only use 6 pitchers, but assuming one injury, 7 gets you by.  If 3 are down in the first half of the year, we are in trouble, but by the second half of the year, either a minor leaguer develops, move for one if we are in contention, or find a replacement level starter if we are unwilling to take our Maya / Stammen lumps. 

If we were to bring in one more veteran, I'd like it to be a Rich Harden type.  Someone who is recovering from injuries but was healthy the last half of the year.  Bring him along a bit slow in the spring, and have him ready for a call up when we need it.  Heck, if he's good, he might beat out one of our 4/5/6 guys from the get go. Nice problem.