Author Topic: Natsfest announced  (Read 11692 times)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Re: Natsfest announced
« Reply #150: January 26, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »
enough with the political baiting.  it is messing up the thread.  next comes warnings.  politics being moved to uncensored.

:whip:  Laying the law down like Big Bill Taft.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #151: January 26, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »
:whip:  Laying the law down like Big Bill Taft.

it's what the law(yers) do.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #152: January 26, 2013, 06:17:26 PM »
am I wrong, or is the Taft costume way too thin?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #153: January 26, 2013, 06:24:43 PM »
am I wrong, or is the Taft costume way too thin?

May have missed it but is there a picture?

EDIT:   Never mind  ...  just saw the vid on TV9.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #154: January 26, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
Once the will call guy actually figured out how to print my tickets and we got in the right line, it was a good time.  With the crowds, the Convention Center is definitely a better venue than the stadium.  It was definitely crowded, but pretty well laid out for the most part.  Lots of players there and a lot of different sessions.  One of my favorite moments (besides our intrepid MLB.com beat writer's horrible questions that I mentioned in a previous post) is when, in a Q&A session, a fan called out Rizzo for being cheap by not resigning Burnett :)

For the all the bashing he gets, Bob Carpenter is actually a great guy.  I got to meet him again, and someone asked about the whole MASN thing and he started bashing the joint broadcasts for the Nats-O's games and said the novelty was long gone.  I like how he makes himself accessible and interacts with fans at events like there.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #155: January 26, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »

For the all the bashing he gets, Bob Carpenter is actually a great guy.  I got to meet him again, and someone asked about the whole MASN thing and he started bashing the joint broadcasts for the Nats-O's games and said the novelty was long gone.  I like how he makes himself accessible and interacts with fans at events like there.

I like to complain about Bob, but I'm not surpised.  He seems like a really good guy on tv. 

What is surprising, to me at least, is that he gave that reply about the joint broadcasts.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #156: January 26, 2013, 07:11:13 PM »
I like to complain about Bob, but I'm not surpised.  He seems like a really good guy on tv. 

What is surprising, to me at least, is that he gave that reply about the joint broadcasts.

Me too   ...

I'm gonna try to give him a pass this year because of his opinion about the joint broadcasts.   That's gotta be an Angelos ploy.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #157: January 26, 2013, 07:16:30 PM »
Bob made similar remarks about the joint broadcasts during the STH picnic last year too.  He didn't like the fact that it was Jim Hunter who got to call Strasburg's home run, and I can't blame him.  These remarks were made during informal conversations with fans, not as part of the formal Q&A sessions.  Still, he is very gracious in interacting with fans (and giving his honest opinions), posing for pictures, signing autographs, etc.  Given how many personalities have a big ego and can be total pricks, Bob is as nice as can be.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #158: January 26, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
I think nats fans are lucky in that I can't really think of anyone associated with the team who comes across as a prick (the closest may be Zimmerman's autograph deal)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #159: January 26, 2013, 07:46:18 PM »
I saw a Jeopardy game with Det,  Drew, and Jayson as the participants!   Those guys were a riot.   Oh met Denard Span!   Nice Guy

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #160: January 26, 2013, 07:49:42 PM »
Got my picture taken with Chaditude Tracy and Corey Brown.   Then both a friend and I with "The beard"  Danny Espinosa and LOMBO

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #161: January 26, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
I think nats fans are lucky in that I can't really think of anyone associated with the team who comes across as a prick (the closest may be Zimmerman's autograph deal)
Absolutely.

The only one I could think of is Harper, but I think that's more of a "Nats fans love him, everyone else hates him" situation.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #162: January 26, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »
Absolutely.

The only one I could think of is Harper, but I think that's more of a "Nats fans love him, everyone else hates him" situation.

Harper was awesome today, and seemingly in every session.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #163: January 26, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
Harper was awesome today, and seemingly in every session.

At on field photo day last year Bryce is super nice!   He's a good kid!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #164: January 26, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »
Harper strikes me as a good kid trying to do what he thinks he should.  He's arrogant,  but he's doesn't seem like a bad guy

Offline imref

« Reply #165: January 26, 2013, 08:08:28 PM »
"Anything but baseball" Q&A with Garcia, Harper, Moore and Werth:

Highlights I can remember:
- a 4 year old or so kid asking Harper if he cuts his own hair, then getting into a stare-down with him
- after Werth got a standing ovation when he came in, FP noting that he probably wouldn't have gotten that kind of reception a few years ago (ouch!)
- When asked their favorite music, they all replied European techno due to Morse playing it in the club-house, nobody was sure who would be clubhouse DJ next year
- Garcia saying his gymnast costume is framed, and Harper enjoying being a girl's gymnast a bit too much (and everyone talking about Morse playing the smurfs theme in Union Station)
- Harper referring to Werth as "pops"
- T-Mo saying he would teach LaRoche a few things about hunting
- Harper said his favorite D.C. restaurant was Guapo's
- Werth saying he uses a lot of product in his beard, said that was 8 months of growth

All in all a really fun session.

Offline imref

« Reply #166: January 26, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
At on field photo day last year Bryce is super nice!   He's a good kid!

after the Q&A, when everyone else had already left, Harper was still signing whatever people were putting in front of him, including a soda bottle.  They had to pretty much push him out the door.  He just seemed to soak up everything going on around him.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #167: January 26, 2013, 08:14:07 PM »
I heard that with all the weddings,  Tyler Moore is now the most eligible bachelor on the team now.   I heard he turned 3 shades of red upon learning this!

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #168: January 26, 2013, 08:20:36 PM »
I heard that with all the weddings,  Tyler Moore is now the most eligible bachelor on the team now.   I heard he turned 3 shades of red upon learning this!

He won game one of the NLDS, I hope he's getting more women than he can handle.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #169: January 26, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
I saw a Jeopardy game with Det,  Drew, and Jayson as the participants!   Those guys were a riot.   Oh met Denard Span!   Nice Guy

That's one hell of a mix and match by Span.     I heard his interview on 106.7.    Seemed pretty in the moment.   

Offline Capital Punisher

« Reply #170: January 26, 2013, 08:32:23 PM »
Awesome event.  I was thrilled that it was so packed that you could barely move, great atmosphere.  And I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Will Rhymes has a great sense of humor.  FP asked what we should expect to see from him during Spring Training, and he said, "A pretty mediocre performance, which is what I always seem to have during the spring."  Broke Storen, Espy and Corey Brown up.  Had some other funny stuff as well.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #171: January 26, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »
Harper strikes me as a good kid trying to do what he thinks he should.  He's arrogant,  but he's doesn't seem like a bad guy
It seems that other fans just take his arrogance/aggressiveness as a negative trait and proof of his "douchebaggery"... I say those people need to be reeducated and I think Harper will be happy to do so next season and (I hope) he tears through the season.

Offline imref

« Reply #172: January 26, 2013, 08:40:46 PM »

there was a question in the non-baseball Q&A about the weddings, F.P. asked if anyone had gone to all of them - Werth said he doesn't go to pitcher events.

Offline imref

« Reply #173: January 26, 2013, 08:41:32 PM »
btw, morse was tweeting back and forth to some of the players and reporters during the event.  I think his heart is obviously still in D.C.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #174: January 26, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
At friend of mine made a great point that they shouldn't have so much time between players for the pictures.   Too much time standing and waiting for the next group.   The line would have moved faster.   The MASN area had its own picture line where I had my picture taken with Drew and then Span.