Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 44023 times)

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #75: May 15, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
Nationals' strategy is short-sighted; ace should be available for playoff chase

WTF?  Anyway,

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7931609/washington-nationals-need-stephen-strasburg-september

I think there's probably good arguments that can be made against shutting him down, but there aren't any here.  I don't understand why people look at this as strictly injury prevention and not recovery from reconstructive surgery. 

Also not sure how anybody who's watched baseball can bring up Maddux in a debate about the health of Strasburg's arm.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #76: May 15, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Not sure that any of this will really matter come October when RG3 is throwing the ball.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #77: May 15, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »
Not sure that any of this will really matter come October when RG3 is throwing the ball.

He makes that argument, I don't buy it at all.  I pay attention to both every fall, so would everybody else if the Nats were involved in a pennant race.

Offline Gary Cohen

Is there a reason that the Nats can't do with Strasburg what's suggested here? Seems logical to me...

http://thexlog.com/201206210925/xtra-bases/mlb/stephen-strasburg-and-the-ass-backwards-washington-nationals/

Offline houston-nat

Is there a reason that the Nats can't do with Strasburg what's suggested here? Seems logical to me...

http://thexlog.com/201206210925/xtra-bases/mlb/stephen-strasburg-and-the-ass-backwards-washington-nationals/

Possibly because the start of the season already happened?

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #80: June 21, 2012, 09:35:44 AM »
bump...with every start from here on out there will probably be Stras innings limits stories to discuss.  For example, http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/25845/nationals-will-be-tempted-to-push-strasburg today.  Let's try to keep that discussion to this thread?

Offline loshjott

Is anyone seriously asking this question?

The author is an idiot, plain and simple.

Offline MorseTheHorse

Is anyone seriously asking this question?
Um do you read national media?

And houston-nat, you clearly did not read all of the article...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
A win is a win.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #84: June 21, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »
and for all the people who believe every word out of Davey and Rizzo's mouth: 

Two nights ago:
"“@AdamKilgoreWP: Davey made it seem like he'll stick by CMW. "I think there's a lot there."

Yesterday:
Det in, Wang to bullpen

Offline Ray D

The author is an idiot, plain and simple.

I'll second that,  It's one thing for a casual baseball fan to be asking this, but someone who claims to be an expert - and if he is a baseball writer I assume he claims to be a baseball expert -  it's just plain irresponsible to be so stupid.

Offline aussienatsfan

I hope that dude doesn't get paid to do his job, I just wrote a blog post on why I believe R.A Dickey won't start the all star game (despite believing he should) and it took me 25 minutes and a quick trip to fangraphs to check some stats.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Quote from: Mike Cardano
I don’t get it, I just don’t get it.

Yeah we noticed. :lol:

He sounds like a regular caller for Nats talk live or whatever that radio program is called.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
I hope that dude doesn't get paid to do his job, I just wrote a blog post on why I believe R.A Dickey won't start the all star game (despite believing he should) and it took me 25 minutes and a quick trip to fangraphs to check some stats.

He's mostly based at a fantasy-sports site called rotoexperts.com...as we all know, fantasy-league ideas are not always applicable to real-life sports situations.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #89: June 21, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »

Football is one day a week, baseball is 6-7 I follow basketball, baseball, football soccer and Australian rules football all with the same level of interest and enthusiasm, luckily they rarely clash. If people can't follow the nats 5 days a week when RG3 is off then they aren't real fans

Offline Ray D

« Reply #90: June 21, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »
This all assumes that Griffin will be "throwing the ball" in October.   That's three or four games into the season.  I see him throwing four interceptions in the first game, and benched by game four.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #91: June 21, 2012, 10:04:26 AM »
and for all the people who believe every word out of Davey and Rizzo's mouth: 

Two nights ago:
"“@AdamKilgoreWP: Davey made it seem like he'll stick by CMW. "I think there's a lot there."

Yesterday:
Det in, Wang to bullpen

How about "Lannan's my 5th starter."  back in March?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #92: June 21, 2012, 10:10:48 AM »
This all assumes that Griffin will be "throwing the ball" in October.   That's three or four games into the season.  I see him throwing four interceptions in the first game, and benched by game four.

He could run into the wrong end zone and not be benched- if he flops, he can't be replaced with a first rounder for three years (assuming they dont make another insane trade)- Allen and the coaching staff all have their jobs and reputations tied to him

Offline Ray D

« Reply #93: June 21, 2012, 10:24:56 AM »

He could run into the wrong end zone and not be benched

Norman Snead all over again?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #94: June 21, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »

He could run into the wrong end zone and not be benched- if he flops, he can't be replaced with a first rounder for three years (assuming they dont make another insane trade)- Allen and the coaching staff all have their jobs and reputations tied to him

Kirk Cousins will look awfully appealing to the Monday Morning Quarterbacks.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #95: June 21, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »

There is this small, evil part of me that wants Griffin to fail miserably. After all the hype, all the drama .... complete an utter failure

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #96: June 21, 2012, 10:48:43 AM »
Unless the think he can be great, there is no way he gets any starts baring injury. If Griffen flops and Cousins is league average, everybody is still getting fired, so what incentive is there to start him?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #97: June 21, 2012, 10:49:39 AM »
If we make the playoffs we'd be competitive with a top 3 consisting of Gio-ZNN-EJax. Very, very competitive.

Shutting Strasburg down does not mean the Nats are waving the white flag.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #98: June 21, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »
in the back of my mind, I think they may not give him a hard shutdown in September.  They may shift him to the bullpen, have him work 2 - 3 innings every 4 or 5 days, then bring him back for the playoffs for one start a series - game 4 or an elimination game.  I think the plan of just running him out every day until he throw 160 - 170 innings was based on not contending.  I think they will make more of an effort to manage his innings load if they look like they are going to be in the playoffs. If it is a fight for the playoffs, then I think they just keep him on schedule and deal with needing a 5th starter when the time comes.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #99: June 21, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »
If we make the playoffs we'd be competitive with a top 3 consisting of Gio-ZNN-EJax. Very, very competitive.

Shutting Strasburg down does not mean the Nats are waving the white flag.

Yes it does.

And, they're not going to shut him down. If we make the playoffs, he'll be pitching.