Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 25997 times)

Offline PC

Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #125: April 27, 2012, 12:55:45 AM »
Not sure how you lay this one on Davey.

Well, he had a completely rested bullpen and went back to Clippard in the 8th when he had so much trouble getting out of the 7th.  In reality, he could have done matchups for each batter, just because he had his entire bullpen except for Gorzelanny.

And Clippard had so much trouble getting Kotsay out on Tuesday.  He had Clippard figured out but Davey stayed with Clippard.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #126: April 27, 2012, 07:22:01 AM »
In reality, he could have done matchups for each batter, just because he had his entire bullpen except for Gorzelanny..

Sure, because considering this was the seventh game of the nlcs, he should throw every reliever he has.  Really, why not bring Stras in there to be sure?  :roll:

It's not Davey's fault when he goes to the reliever who has been our single best guy for two years and it doesn't work out.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #127: April 27, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
In hindsight, Johnson said, maybe he should have warmed up left-hander Sean Burnett, who got the final out in the eighth, earlier. He knew the Padres would be sending the lefty Kotsay up as a pinch hitter, but Clippard’s splits reveal that he’s just as effective against lefties as he is against righties. Anytime the thought entered his mind, though, Johnson pushed it out. Clippard was his guy.

“I mean, it’s Tyler Clippard,” Johnson said.

2012 Tyler Clippard isn't the same as the 2010-2011 Tyler Clippard. Why doesn't Davey get this?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #128: April 27, 2012, 08:49:48 AM »
 :roll:

Online blue911

« Reply #129: April 27, 2012, 08:51:05 AM »
2012 Tyler Clippard isn't the same as the 2010-2011 Tyler Clippard. Why doesn't Davey get this?

I guess because he has played and managed in the big leagues. Unlike some who get their extreme knowledge by not playing or managing at any level.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #130: April 27, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
Sure, because considering this was the seventh game of the nlcs, he should throw every reliever he has.  Really, why not bring Stras in there to be sure?  :roll:

It's not Davey's fault when he goes to the reliever who has been our single best guy for two years and it doesn't work out.

that's sarcasm, right? :)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #131: April 27, 2012, 09:12:49 AM »

Because the move didn't work and that's the easy thing to do.  :?

I guess because he has played and managed in the big leagues. Unlike some who get their extreme knowledge by not playing or managing at any level.

lol

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #132: April 27, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »
that's sarcasm, right? :)

hard  to tell considering some of the posters on the board, innit?   :lol:

But yes - the only thing I might think about is the letting Clip sit down and come back.  I can see why you would, but I also might have been tempted to go to Matheus there.

Really, though, that's a hindsight decision.  If he goes to Matheus and Matheus blows it, we're all screaming about how Davey's quick hook cost us that game, because he took the ball out of the hand of his best reliever. 

In-game decisions are mostly a crapshoot, and they're not all going to work out.  There's a longer-term benefit in Davey not going away from Clipp there - he wanted it, Davey wants to keep confidence in him, he messed it up, he knows it's on him to do better.  Much like Gorzo two nights ago, I bet Clipp's lights-out when he next gets in.

Offline GSW

« Reply #133: April 27, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »
Davey !!!!  How long do you keep going with:

DeRosa   --  .091
Tracy       --  .136
Nady       --  .149
Bernadina    .171

Can't you call RIZZO up and say HELP!!!!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #134: April 27, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »

it's just SF being SF.  he's looking for the next youngest, upcoming manager!  manny acta 2.0 (FAIL)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #135: April 27, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »

DeRosa   --  .091
Tracy       --  .136
Nady       --  .149
Bernadina    .171

those guys are either A) AAAA players or B) bench players.

It's pretty easy to see which players fall under what category.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #136: April 27, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »

DeRosa   --  .091
Tracy       --  .136
Nady       --  .149
Bernadina    .171

Who's to say he hasn't?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #137: April 27, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
those guys are either A) AAAA players or B) bench players.

It's pretty easy to see which players fall under what category.
It is pretty pathetic. Are they really going to trot Tracy out there every night at 3B? He's fine off bench but please no more starts. And how many more times do we have to see Nady in LF? He's so bad at the plate it's almost unbelievable.

Bernadina and DeRosa have been extremely disappointing as well.

The only bright spots of the hitters have been LaRoche and Desmond (kind of). We miss Morse and Zimmerman terribly. This offense is staggeringly worse without those two guys and it doesn't help matters that Espinosa has been a black hole and that the bench guys haven't done crap while starting.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #138: April 27, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »

Why did you have high hopes for them to begin with?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #139: April 27, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
The only bright spots of the hitters have been LaRoche and Desmond (kind of). We miss Morse and Zimmerman terribly.

Werth is hitting .290/.395/.464

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #140: April 27, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
Why did you have high hopes for them to begin with?
Well DeRosa looked great all Spring and hit for good avg last year with SF after coming back from injury. I wasn't expecting power from him but I thought he would hit for a good BA and provide a good veteran presence. He used to be a damn good player not too long ago.

I guess Bernadina will never put it together, he's been given ample opportunities but can't hit consistently enough. At this point he is nothing more than a 5th OFer who should be used primarily for defensive replacement or pinch running duties.

I just wish there was more offensive talent on this roster. Time to start picking names from AAA. A shame Bryce isn't killing it because ppl would be putting pressure on Rizzo to bring him up.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #141: April 27, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
Well DeRosa looked great all Spring and hit for good avg last year with SF after coming back from injury. I wasn't expecting power from him but I thought he would hit for a good BA and provide a good veteran presence. He used to be a damn good player not too long ago.

I guess Bernadina will never put it together, he's been given ample opportunities but can't hit consistently enough. At this point he is nothing more than a 5th OFer who should be used primarily for defensive replacement or pinch running duties.

I just wish there was more offensive talent on this roster. Time to start picking names from AAA. A shame Bryce isn't killing it because ppl would be putting pressure on Rizzo to bring him up.

I heard FP last night already clamoring for Rizzo to bring Harper up, nonsensical as it would be right now, so some are already wanting it to happen. Too early, especially since the whole extra year of control/arbitration Super-2 status or whatever hasn't passed yet, right?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #142: April 27, 2012, 12:01:08 PM »
It is pretty pathetic. Are they really going to trot Tracy out there every night at 3B? He's fine off bench but please no more starts. And how many more times do we have to see Nady in LF? He's so bad at the plate it's almost unbelievable.

who do you replace them with? Moore probably isn't ready to be a full time OF yet, so calling him up to pinch hit seems pointless. Lombo should get more starts, but that still leaves one of those guys starting. Rizzo decided not to upgrade the offense in any significant way this off season, and it shows

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #143: April 27, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »

SF - I agree with all of what you wrote.   :shock:

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #144: April 27, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »
I heard FP last night already clamoring for Rizzo to bring Harper up, nonsensical as it would be right now, so some are already wanting it to happen. Too early, especially since the whole extra year of control/arbitration Super-2 status or whatever hasn't passed yet, right?

I heard that too - the idea that he's going to step off the bus and fix what ails this offense is crazy optimistic.  Trouble is, there's no other real quick fix.  Sure you could try Moore, but that's not much better than trying Harper.  Anybody available now is going to be Nady/deRosa-esque. 

Really, the only option is hope somebody catches fire, hope Werth and LaRoche can keep up what they're doing and try to get Espi going a bit.  If Espi would come around, then a Desmond-Espi-Werth-LaRoche 1-4 might be enough to keep you afloat for a little while.  Same with Ramos - he needs to get it going, too.

I think that's the Davey-cision I find most puzzling - I get why Tracy and deRosa are starting.  Why, in the name of Jesus Flores, are they batting #3?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #145: April 27, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »

:shock: ... :popcorn: ... :clap:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #146: April 27, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
the idea that he's going to step off the bus and fix what ails this offense is crazy optimistic. 

That's too generous.  "crazy" would be sufficient.  Actually it's plain stupid.  FP  at times offers intelligence and insight, and other times he really seems like an idiot.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #147: April 27, 2012, 02:05:29 PM »
I wonder if the time share at catcher is holding back Ramos?  At this point, would he hit better playing more?

Lombo needs to play every day while Zimmerman and Morse are out and bat either #1 or #2.  Espinosa needs to be dropped down in the order to a spot that fits his old style.

As for DeRosa / Tracy / Nady, you have to hope that getting start when they have a platoon advantage will eventually result in them coming around.  Were I GM, I'd probably release Nady and bring up Moore at this point.

Offline PC

« Reply #148: April 27, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »

I wasn't recommending going to matchups with each batter.  I was making a point about the amount of rest the bullpen had.

I will maintain again that watching this game and the others in the series, cried out for Tyler Clippard not pitching the 8th inning, particularly not pitching against Kotsay.  Adding further, Davey took Clippard out when Venable was due up.  Why was Venable a worse matchup than Kotsay, considering how Kotsay had fought Clippard on Tuesday?

We don't know what would have happened if he'd gone to another reliever to start the 8th but we know precisely what happened by sticking with Clippard.   No speculation is required.

Davey's "It's Tyler Clippard" comment also is disturbing because it would imply that he's not taking in new information about how Clippard is pitching this year.  Because he HAS played and managed in the big leagues, he knows that the performance of relievers can be very volatile especially from season to season.

Stepping back, however, the biggest reason for this loss was the offense.  It's tough to really blame the pitching when your offense puts up one run and has four hits.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #149: April 27, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Yes, he does have those Charles Manson eyes.
                     :spit:   :lmao: