Author Topic: Miggy and the triple crown.  (Read 2730 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Miggy and the triple crown.
« Reply #50: October 05, 2012, 05:47:45 PM »
seems like slate has a Trout boner.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #51: October 05, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
It depends on the kind of seasons other players had those years. (I don't know why Frank Thomas didn't win the year Ripken won other than Ripken's popularity so that bodes well for Trout.) That can't be said this year. In the years the triple crown winners were overlooked there were some that merited consideration. I don't think it's coincidence that they went with the players on teams that advanced to the World Series even though I believe the triple crown winners had better seasons. Trout had an amazing season. I'm not arguing against that. I think they should go with Cabrera but I don't think they will. Trout is a media favorite. They are drooling all over him. He's the next face of baseball.

He was also the best player in the game.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: October 05, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »
I could wink at the Hank Aaron award for best hitter for Cabrera.  I just have a problem with saying he was most valuable, unless you say defense has no value and that the speed tool can be ignored.  I even have a problem saying he was the best offensive player considering the double plays and base running.  But he was a better home run hitter, no question, and a similar average / obp guy.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #53: October 05, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
seems like slate has a Trout boner.

A lot of people do. He's the "Natural" that a lot of people are always hoping for. The kid freaking rocks there's no question about it.

I even have a problem saying he was the best offensive player considering the double plays

It's not his fault that people were on base at the time. Just like driving in runs is not that big of a deal because they are reliant on people getting on base in front of him. Besides, he can't control where the ball is hit.  :stir:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #54: October 05, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »
I really don't want to like trout because the non nats fans who have boners for trout feel like there is no other option then to rip on Bryce
harper.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #55: October 05, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »
I really don't want to like trout because the non nats fans who have boners for trout feel like there is no other option then to rip on Bryce
harper.

Only losers do that. But you're right. Some people are like that. They latch on to one player and feel the need to put down others in order to magnify their own favorite. As if there is only room for one great player in the game.  :?  We have some posters here who do that crap.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #56: October 05, 2012, 10:00:43 PM »
Only losers do that. But you're right. Some people are like that. They latch on to one player and feel the need to put down others in order to magnify their own favorite. As if there is only room for one great player in the game.  :?  We have some posters here who do that crap.

Hey, Ryan Theriot deserved it.  He PAID that kid in the stand to shout "THERIOT!!" over and over again for two hours.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #57: October 05, 2012, 10:10:18 PM »
Hey, Ryan Theriot deserved it.  He PAID that kid in the stand to shout "THERIOT!!" over and over again for two hours.

Wait what? Are you serious?

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #58: October 05, 2012, 10:13:56 PM »
Trout deserves it.

Batting: Wash
Getting on base: Trout
Power: Cabrera (though not as much as it may seem, expand Trout's season to as many games as Cabrera played and he's not that far behind him)
Baserunning: Trout by far (and this more than makes up for his lack of doubles.
Defense: Trout by far.

And this is all out a much more pivotal position.

The best player is the most valuable player. The crap about being on a playoff team is just that, crap.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #59: October 05, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
Wait what? Are you serious?

:spit: No freaking way!  I'm making fun of hammondsfan882's bizarre Ryan Theriot hatred that he admitted stemmed from the fact that same 8 year old kept shouting "THERIOT!!!" right behind him at a game. :lmao:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #60: October 05, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
:spit: No freaking way!  I'm making fun of hammondsfan882's bizarre Ryan Theriot hatred that he admitted stemmed from the fact that same 8 year old kept shouting "THERIOT!!!" right behind him at a game. :lmao:

Oh I remember that now.  :lmao:

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #61: October 06, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »
Perhaps in today's sabremetrically charged environment, Trout will get consideration fro MVP.  But when considering dominant offensive players, defense is almost always secondary, if non-existent.  One of the knocks against considering a player like Ty Cobb as the "best all around player" of all time is the fact that his defense was suspect.  Well, actually, it was just his throwing arm, I think.  Cobb had incredible speed, and covered a lot of ground in the outfield.  He positioned himself well, and understood opposing hitters well.  He could fix his own poor fielding judgments with his speed.  But he couldn't throw for squat. 

Ted Williams was similar.  But with him, the general sense was that he was a mediocre to poor outfielder who possessed a great throwing arm.  In Ty Cobb's biography, there is an episode where he is interviewed as a fan at a game where the Red Sox where playing, and his comment was that while Williams was a great hitter, he wasn't much of a fielder. To his credit, Teddy Ballgame learned to play those fancy caroms in Fenway's left field well, and with the great arm he possessed, was able to throw out a lot of runners when the Red Sox were home. 

My point? Nobody discusses defense when they talk about Cobb or Williams.  Cabrera is not in the same league as those two, but he wasn't signed for his glove. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #62: October 06, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »

My point? Nobody discusses defense when they talk about Cobb or Williams.  Cabrera is not in the same league as those two, but he wasn't signed for his glove. 

Actually this year Cabrera is in their league.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #63: October 06, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
It kills me to say this, but while Ted might have been on the very short list of greatest hitters of all time, I don't think many think he was a better ballplayer than DiMaggio because Joe D could field, too.  Williams was better than Dom, though, so there's a limit to how much D can make up.   

W/R/t Trout and Cab, there are enough arguments that the offense is close that any consideration of D makes this and open and shut case.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #64: October 06, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »
There are gonna be so many delicious Trout fanboy tears when Cabrera wins the MVP.

I have no opinion of it either way, I just feel like Cabrera's gonna win it.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #65: October 06, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
Actually this year Cabrera is in their league.

Well, yeah, that's true.  I was thinking more in terms of career.  But you're right.  And because of that, he probably gets MVP, even though he has hooks for hands.