Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Watch  (Read 189220 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: The Bryce Harper Watch
« Reply #2450: February 28, 2012, 10:19:26 PM »
Do you all see Harper staying with the Nats IF we win a world series before the end of his contract, which I personally think will be the minimum requirement to peak his continual interest? I think he'll bail for the yankees the first chance he gets.

What about Strasburg? I think his loyalty lies with the money and he may stay with Washington if we pay him the best offer.

No chance.

Strasburg, sure.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2451: February 28, 2012, 10:26:44 PM »
Do you all see Harper staying with the Nats IF we win a world series before the end of his contract, which I personally think will be the minimum requirement to peak his continual interest? I think he'll bail for the yankees the first chance he gets.

What about Strasburg? I think his loyalty lies with the money and he may stay with Washington if we pay him the best offer.

who knows.  Strasburg seems pretty happy here and I think the team will take care of him.  Harper seems to want to play on a bigger stage, but who knows what he'll be like in 4 or 5 years (and after a ring or two).

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #2452: February 28, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
who knows.  Strasburg seems pretty happy here and I think the team will take care of him.  Harper seems to want to play on a bigger stage, but who knows what he'll be like in 4 or 5 years (and after a ring or two).
I'd kill for one ring, let alone two...  :shock:

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #2453: February 29, 2012, 01:48:28 AM »
If we get a Series or two with him here, I honestly don't think I'd have an issue with him leaving. It'd be unfortunate, but he would have done his part. It'd be the same as when Pujols left. It would have been cool if he was a Card for life, but he brought that team two championships. Not much one can complain about there.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2454: February 29, 2012, 05:50:40 AM »

No one knows. Probably not because they are Boras clients but you never know.

People think they have a read on Bryce, but he's only 19. His brain is still developing, he'll be a completely different person when he's 25.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2455: February 29, 2012, 09:34:49 AM »
Interesting, sounds like Bryce has deleted his Twitter account.

Offline imref

« Reply #2456: February 29, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »
Interesting, sounds like Bryce has deleted his Twitter account.

DPM has page 98 on ignore. :)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #2457: February 29, 2012, 04:41:57 PM »
If/when harper wants to leave we better trade him and not let him walk with little compensation.  If harper is as expected he could net one of the biggest trade hauls in history

Offline imref

« Reply #2458: February 29, 2012, 04:42:40 PM »
If/when harper wants to leave we better trade him and not let him walk with little compensation.  If harper is as expected he could net one of the biggest trade hauls in history

he's our herschel walker.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #2459: February 29, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
I feel sorry Bryce. So many dweebos always being a crybaby for what he says. Let him say what he wants. The more candid the better.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #2460: February 29, 2012, 04:46:04 PM »
I agree, if they really feel like the kid is going to bail no matter what, put him up for sale late in his contract and get some future prospects for him. It'll benefit the team more in the long haul.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2461: February 29, 2012, 06:07:20 PM »
I'm firmly in the he's going to bail side, and wish they'd keep him in the minors at least until next year, but once he's up, I have no problem with the team holding onto him until the trading deadline in his last year- we're not at a point where we need a trade to set up the team's future anymore. A core of Zimmerman, Stras, Zimmermann and Harper together with Morse Ramos Werth (funny how the $127 million man is a complimentary piece) Gio and whoever pans out of Rendon/Purke/Meyer... should have this team competing throughout Harper's time here and I'd rather loose as little of that time as possible inorder to reload for the next run.

Offline Upark25

« Reply #2462: February 29, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
I think its pretty safe to say that if Harper does not pan out (which I don't think will happen) he will be the biggest bust in sports history. I also find it kind of funny how people are ALREADY coming up with trade ideas for 5-6 years in the future when he hasn't even taken an at-bat. Let him play first.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2463: February 29, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
We've got at least 5 years before we even have to worry about what to do with Harper at the end of his deal.  Let's back it down a bit.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2465: February 29, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
Boz calculates the call up date as 4/26.  I had been kicking around 4/16, thinking the 172 days for a year's service credit applied.  I might be wrong.  Boz says Bryce needs 21 days in the minors before his call up.  I may have missed the rule that if you are on the 40 man, you are sent down, and you get called up in 20 days or less, you get credit for the MLB service time.   Is that the rule?

Offline imref

« Reply #2466: February 29, 2012, 09:07:30 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/bryce-harper-coming-very-soon-to-a-ballpark-near-you/2012/02/29/gIQAO9ouiR_story.html

Boz on Harper.

got goosebumps reading that.  What a freaking difference 2 years makes for this club.  I'm still amazed that a guy like Anthony Rendon is almost lost in the shuffle.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2467: March 01, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
checked a summary of the CBA, and Boz is right.  A player sent to the minors for 20 days or less in a season is credited with a full season.  So, even though Harper would be on the roster less than 172 days if he is called up between 4/16 and 4/25, he would get credit for a full year if he stays with the Nats the balance of the year.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #2469: March 01, 2012, 06:32:43 PM »
checked a summary of the CBA, and Boz is right.  A player sent to the minors for 20 days or less in a season is credited with a full season.  So, even though Harper would be on the roster less than 172 days if he is called up between 4/16 and 4/25, he would get credit for a full year if he stays with the Nats the balance of the year.

I wish one of the beat writers would provide the definitive answer, I've got my ticket draft in a little over a week and I'd like to pick the game with the best chance for Harper's debut.  Based on your calculations I'd say that Tuesday, May 1st is the day.

Offline blue911

« Reply #2470: March 01, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »
The 20 day rule was* for options, not service time.

* I haven't looked at the new CBA yet

Offline imref

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2472: March 01, 2012, 10:18:23 PM »
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/service-time-considerations-for-top-prospects.html#more

I can live with Super 2. He could be here starting June 1 if the club wants him.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #2473: March 03, 2012, 04:18:53 PM »
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/service-time-considerations-for-top-prospects.html#more

(Image removed from quote.)

I can live with Super 2. He could be here starting June 1 if the club wants him.

None of us care about Super 2, it's the team service. Regardless, I wouldn't expect him to be up until June at the earliest, as you said.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2474: March 03, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »
May 1st. The team needs hitting. Harper hits. They already have the pitching. I want the Nats to win the pennant this year.

I've been a fan since about 1952 or '53, and never hoped higher than having having a better than even chance of seeing the Nats win a game I'd go to. This year is different. This is more of a Yankee-feeling, which I have lived near for about 40 years.

Bring Harper to Washington as soon as possible. The more games he plays, the better the chance of winning. Then forget about Matt Stairs and Nook Logan and Paul LoDuca and Mike Backsik and Alex Escobar and that long parade of "has-beens" and "never-will-be's".