Author Topic: The Little Sisters of the Poor have had it!  (Read 1346 times)

Offline PC

The Little Sisters of the Poor have had it!
« Topic Start: January 09, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »
Watch out. The Little Sisters of the Poor have had all they can take, and they can’t take any more.

The charitable organization is objecting to the flippant use of its name, most recently in billboards celebrating TCU’s historic win over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, which started showing up near the Ohio State campus.

A group of TCU alumni purchased eight digital billboards that read "Congratulations to TCU for their BCS Rose Bowl Victory — Little Sisters of the Poor." The signature line is a reference to a statement made by OSU President E. Gordon Gee, who memorably proclaimed on Nov. 24 that the Horned Frogs don't deserve to be in the national title hunt because they played "the Little Sisters of the Poor," unlike the Buckeyes, who played what Gee termed "a murderer's row" of teams in the Big Ten.

But the joke finally elicited a response from the charitable organization.

"For many years sports writers have compared poor teams to our Congregation, saying that this or that team cannot even beat the Little Sisters of the Poor," Sister Constance said in a statement on their website. "We do not know where this comparison originated. In general we have taken the joke in stride — mostly ignoring it. When Ohio State President Gordon Gee made his now infamous remarks … we tried to stay above the fray.

"This week billboards have appeared across Columbus, Ohio, congratulating TCU on their victory in the Rose Bowl. The messages are signed ‘The Little Sisters of the Poor.’ Because we have begun to receive inquiries asking if we are responsible for them, we wish to state unequivocally that we had nothing to do with these billboards, just as we had nothing to do with President Gee’s comments, or with the origins of the Little Sisters of the Poor joke in the first place.

“Our lives are devoted to the care of the elderly poor. We do not generally watch football or any other sporting events. We could say that football is ‘out of our league.’ We feel that the joke has gone far enough. We do not condone the use of our name by others for this or any other purpose and we hope that this inappropriate use of our name will stop.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/little-sisters-of-the-poor-respond-to-tcu-billboards-near-ohio-state-010911

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: The Little Sisters of the Poor have had it!
« Reply #1: January 09, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
unlike the Buckeyes, who played what Gee termed "a murderer's row" of teams in the Big Ten.

That's the funniest part of that absurd statement.  :lmao:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2: January 09, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
Well, she worded her objection pretty damn well, didn't she? I don't think they care about the usage, but they care about wasting time responding to inquiries.
Watch out. The Little Sisters of the Poor have had all they can take, and they can’t take any more.

The charitable organization is objecting to the flippant use of its name, most recently in billboards celebrating TCU’s historic win over Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl, which started showing up near the Ohio State campus.

A group of TCU alumni purchased eight digital billboards that read "Congratulations to TCU for their BCS Rose Bowl Victory — Little Sisters of the Poor." The signature line is a reference to a statement made by OSU President E. Gordon Gee, who memorably proclaimed on Nov. 24 that the Horned Frogs don't deserve to be in the national title hunt because they played "the Little Sisters of the Poor," unlike the Buckeyes, who played what Gee termed "a murderer's row" of teams in the Big Ten.

But the joke finally elicited a response from the charitable organization.

"For many years sports writers have compared poor teams to our Congregation, saying that this or that team cannot even beat the Little Sisters of the Poor," Sister Constance said in a statement on their website. "We do not know where this comparison originated. In general we have taken the joke in stride — mostly ignoring it. When Ohio State President Gordon Gee made his now infamous remarks … we tried to stay above the fray.

"This week billboards have appeared across Columbus, Ohio, congratulating TCU on their victory in the Rose Bowl. The messages are signed ‘The Little Sisters of the Poor.’ Because we have begun to receive inquiries asking if we are responsible for them, we wish to state unequivocally that we had nothing to do with these billboards, just as we had nothing to do with President Gee’s comments, or with the origins of the Little Sisters of the Poor joke in the first place.

“Our lives are devoted to the care of the elderly poor. We do not generally watch football or any other sporting events. We could say that football is ‘out of our league.’ We feel that the joke has gone far enough. We do not condone the use of our name by others for this or any other purpose and we hope that this inappropriate use of our name will stop.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/little-sisters-of-the-poor-respond-to-tcu-billboards-near-ohio-state-010911

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #3: January 09, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »
I never really checked to see if there had been an organization called "Little Sisters of the Poor".  Well they are getting some publicity from it.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: January 09, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
I never really checked to see if there had been an organization called "Little Sisters of the Poor".  Well they are getting some publicity from it.

Las Vegas has them as a 3 point favorite over the Buckeyes  :stir:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #5: January 09, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »
Unless it insipres someone starts writing checks, I don't think they care much about publicity.  :halo:
I never really checked to see if there had been an organization called "Little Sisters of the Poor".  Well they are getting some publicity from it.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #6: January 09, 2011, 06:46:20 PM »
Unless it insipres someone starts writing checks, I don't think they care much about publicity.  :halo:

Lol, I think that's a certainty. The individual that made those comments and university that did the signs are near locks to hand over a hefty check to "apologize" and save face. They'd look like fools and lose out on regaining some PR if they don't at this point. So I don't think the real sisters will be complaining come the end of this.

Offline PC

« Reply #7: August 17, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
Little Sisters leader forgives Gordon Gee
Associated Press

OREGON, Ohio -- Ohio State University's president is back in the good graces of the Little Sisters of the Poor after turning them into a punch line last fall when he mocked other universities who don't play in football's power conferences.

Gordon Gee spent Wednesday touring a home for the elderly operated by the religious order in northwest Ohio, and he pledged to be one of their greatest advocates after putting them into the spotlight.

He later stood next to Mother Cecilia Mary Sartorius, the home's administrator, who gave him a hug and whispered that he was forgiven. "Does everyone hear that I'm forgiven?" he shouted. "My day of penance is over."

Gee stepped into a controversy last November when he told The Associated Press that teams like TCU and Boise State don't deserve to play in the Bowl Championship Series title game because they don't play anybody. "We do not play the Little Sisters of the Poor," he said.

That comment rankled fans across the country as well as university officials.

Boise State's president, Bob Kustra, responded by calling Gee's comments a great exaggeration, saying it "gets under the skin of all of us who thought university presidents were supposed to be standing for fairness, equity and truth in how we portray our universities."

TCU fans got even following the Horned Frogs' win in the Rose Bowl over Wisconsin of the Big Ten with a message on billboards around Columbus that read, "Congratulations to TCU for their BCS Rose Bowl Victory." It was signed, "Little Sisters of the Poor."

Gee has famously gotten in trouble for his off-hand remarks, most recently during the memorabilia-for-cash and tattoos scandal that cost football coach Jim Tressel his job.

Gee was asked in March whether he'd considered firing Tressel. He responded: "No, are you kidding? Let me just be very clear: I'm just hopeful the coach doesn't dismiss me." Tressel stepped down three months later.

Gee admitted Wednesday that he knew nothing about the Little Sisters or their mission of serving the elderly poor at about 30 homes nationwide. He said his wisecrack turned out to be a good thing because it's helped promote the good work of the sisters.

"This is God's work here," he said, adding that he'd like to see Ohio State students and alumni volunteer at their facilities. He sent a personal check to the Little Sisters of the Poor last fall.

"Out of inadvertent humor can come great deeds," he said.

Gee shook hands with residents in wheelchairs, including those dressed in rival Michigan shirts and hats, and signed autographs for those wearing Ohio State jerseys while touring the home.

His visit was even bigger than bingo day, said activities director Rosanne Kalinowski.

It's difficult to find money to operate the facility that's home to 74 residents, Sister Cecilia said. Most months are run at deficit.

"We're very lowly, humble people," she said. "We take of the poor and try to reach out to get support. This has opened whole new doors for us."

The nuns gave him a bow tie with a Little Sisters logo and accepted his offer to attend a football game this fall.

"Sister Cecilia will dress up as a fullback," he said. "Of course, we'll expect special prayers on the Buckeyes that day."

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #8: August 17, 2011, 08:08:53 PM »
Well, that's a happy ending.

Offline RD

« Reply #9: August 17, 2011, 08:43:56 PM »
I work for the post office.

Came across a letter one time that was addressed to Little Sisters of the Poon.

Sure, the r just overran a bit, but still thought it was pretty awesome.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: August 17, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »

Are you Henry Chinaski?

Offline blue911

« Reply #11: August 17, 2011, 08:53:15 PM »
Somebody needs to tell them we found their Werth

Offline RD

« Reply #12: August 17, 2011, 08:56:11 PM »
Are you Henry Chinaski?

Thanks Hank to you!

Have to admit, that one flew right over my head. Had to google it to get the reference lol.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #13: August 17, 2011, 08:58:11 PM »
Have to admit, that one flew right over my head. Had to google it to get the reference lol.

Happy you got it regardless.  :thumbs:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #14: August 17, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »

Came across a letter one time that was addressed to Little Sisters of the Poon.

Sure, the r just overran a bit, but still thought it was pretty awesome.

:lmao:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #15: August 17, 2011, 10:10:54 PM »
Well, that's a happy ending.

Except for the fact that Boise had the 69th hardest sched last year and Ohio St had the 65th, so he is completely wrong.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: August 18, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »
Except for the fact that Boise had the 69th hardest sched last year and Ohio St had the 65th, so he is completely wrong.

and Ohio state lost everyone of their games (yet still made it into a bowl)