Author Topic: CAPS Week 9: Nov 28 - Dec 2  (Read 5055 times)

CAPS Week 9: Nov 28 - Dec 2
« Reply #25: December 02, 2006, 11:34:59 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
I can't watch Youtube at work so I will have to wait until tommorow for my judgement.  I must say on first impression though - cheap shots in the NHL is almost an oxymoron.  It would take something that looked like he absolutely tried to end his career to make me think ill of Ovechkin.

Looking at it, it wasn't that bad.  In fact, it didn't even look like Ovechkin really meant to do it at all, the play had stopped and he sideswiped him, not even that hard.  Briere didn't expect it and he fell and fell into the Sabres door.

Worth a penalty box visit but nothing more.  Officials overreacted.

Ovechkin isn't an a-hole for this.  If he really meant injury and malice I am sure he would of whooped up during the fight but he didn't throw one punch.  What would be the point anyways?  Caps were handing it to the Sabres 4-1 at that point.

Just overreaction by officials and our resident Ranger's fan.  :wink:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #26: December 02, 2006, 11:40:19 PM »
Quote from: "Nat of the LivingDead"
Just overreaction by officials and our resident Ranger's fan.  :wink:
Well...Buffalo *IS* in New York...so I guess we can't blame him.   :P

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #27: December 03, 2006, 12:07:12 AM »
Ovechkin pwns Buffalo. Just got back from the game. All the obnoxious Buffalo fans can suck it.

Ovechkin is one of the classiest guys on the team (if not the league). He doesn't want to hurt anyone. Seems to me like Colten just has something against the most dynamic player in the league ( :lol:  :wink: ). It was a dumb play and he got penalized. Fine. The Caps still hung on and they showed what kind of team they really were: a good one.

This team is going to the playoffs. I see it in them. They want it, they can do it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #28: December 03, 2006, 12:15:14 AM »
I love it when people get their comeuppance.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #29: December 03, 2006, 02:01:34 AM »
Just got back from the game, and I can report that there were no fewer than 10,000 lost souls cheering on Buffalo tonight.   The most wretched metropolitan area in the hemisphere evidently has some hockey fans,....... Buffalo??????  

Good lord.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #30: December 03, 2006, 04:30:28 AM »
What a fantastic win for the Caps...with all the Sabre bandwagon fans in the Phone Booth...I wish I had taken the night off.  Seems to me the Caps knew they had a tough game against an awesome team and came out with fire and anger.  I'm lovin it.  Go Caps!   :twisted:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #31: December 03, 2006, 08:25:02 AM »
By the way I just looked at the video...no way that's over the top...that's just aggressive hockey and Ovechkin was trying to send a message.  Briere and AO probably had some scrums and hard checks before the camera centered on them due to the injury.  Players often try to send a little message to their opponents before they take the bench.  This kind of thing happens all the time in the NHL under the radar... it only appeared bad because Briere was blind-sided and stayed prone on the ice afterwards.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: December 03, 2006, 11:58:37 AM »
AO wasn't trying to hurt anyone or do a dirty check. He's not like that. Anyone who thinks otherwise knows nothing about AO or the Caps.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #33: December 03, 2006, 07:51:13 PM »
It was merely a bump. just got him at a bad angle as briere was stopping and turning to get on the bench.  It did look pretty bad though.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #34: December 03, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »
Okay, let me just get my two cents here.

I can honestly admit I am not your #1 hockey expert.  But that was a horribly unnecessarily hit, and I just lost some respect for Ovechkin.  I don't care how bad of an angle it was, or how he was trying to send a message; that hit was unnecessary and not what should be exemplified at any sport, no matter how physical.

And that was my two cents.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #35: December 03, 2006, 08:17:26 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"
Okay, let me just get my two cents here.

I can honestly admit I am not your #1 hockey expert.  But that was a horribly unnecessarily hit, and I just lost some respect for Ovechkin.  I don't care how bad of an angle it was, or how he was trying to send a message; that hit was unnecessary and not what should be exemplified at any sport, no matter how physical.

And that was my two cents.
That's hockey....the game is full of hits like that that go unnoticed.  It only got special attention because Briere was laying on the ice afterwards.  After I was able to review the video I thought it was great - I love it when the Caps show a team that is dominating everyone - such as the Sabres - that they aren't going to just lay down and be manhandled.  I hope he does it again next time they meet.

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #36: December 03, 2006, 09:56:22 PM »
Boo Ovechkin, I love the guy, he's a great player, but come on...that was completely unecessary.

LET'S GO RANGERS CAPS SUCK YEAH YEAH YEAH! LOL.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #37: December 03, 2006, 10:00:40 PM »
Quote from: "ColtonWillems"
nuff said.   :roll:  :lol:

« Reply #38: December 03, 2006, 10:03:08 PM »
Quote from: "ColtonWillems"
Boo Ovechkin, I love the guy, he's a great player, but come on...that was completely unecessary.

*Sniff* *Sniff*

Anyone else smell that?  Fear.  Ranger fear.

It's okay, even I would be scared of Ovechkin.  Just when you thought it was safe to be on the ice....

• babble on
« Reply #39: December 03, 2006, 11:28:21 PM »
I was there, and it was (from my perspective) obviously accidental.  There were thousands (literally) of Sabres fans there, and most that I spoke with seemed to agree with me that AO would not have done that intentionally.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #40: December 03, 2006, 11:38:20 PM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
I was there, and it was (from my perspective) obviously accidental.  There were thousands (literally) of Sabres fans there, and most that I spoke with seemed to agree with me that AO would not have done that intentionally.
I think the shove was perfectly intentional and normal aggressive play in the NHL...what I think happened was that Alex didn't expect Briere to turn away which made it look like AO blindsided him.  He never intended to hurt him like that and take what appeared to be a "cheap shot".  But crap like that happens in hockey and these guys are not babies for chrissakes.

• babble on
« Reply #41: December 04, 2006, 12:03:55 AM »
I think the shove was perfectly intentional and normal aggressive play in the NHL...what I think happened was that Alex didn't expect Briere to turn away which made it look like AO blindsided him.  He never intended to hurt him like that and take what appeared to be a "cheap shot".  But crap like that happens in hockey and these guys are not babies for chrissakes.
Fair enough.  But clearly not in the same ballpark as Bertuzzi/Moore.

I've got to say that Sabres fans are OK by me...they show up in large, no, HUGE numbers to support their team, but they are respectful of where they are, and mindful of the locals...the absolute antithesis of Rangers or Flyers fans.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #42: December 05, 2006, 07:07:07 PM »
I don't follow hockey, but just look at the 20-3 record coming into the game.  Wow.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #43: December 05, 2006, 08:18:05 PM »
Sabres fans are by far the worst I've experienced. 70% of them just get drunk and have no class and use profanity around 5 year olds. To me they should stay up in Buffalo and shovel snow.

Flyers and Rangers fans are better than them. Geez.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #44: December 05, 2006, 08:19:01 PM »

Crosby is.

• babble on
« Reply #45: December 06, 2006, 03:29:36 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Sabres fans are by far the worst I've experienced. 70% of them just get drunk and have no class and use profanity around 5 year olds. To me they should stay up in Buffalo and shovel snow.

Flyers and Rangers fans are better than them. Geez.

well, it WAS a hockey game that started at 8:00 on a Saturday night...it's not like anyone under such circumstances will be spending the intermissions quietly murmuring to one another about the writings of Pliny the Elder  :P