Author Topic: Congrats Adam Dunn!  (Read 6983 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Congrats Adam Dunn!
« Reply #25: May 12, 2012, 10:43:35 PM »
Dunn crushes in OBP.

ok, so it's not an exact comparison, but all I can tell you is that Dunn reminds me of him - it seems with either its K or HR, with very little in between.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #26: May 12, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »
But I assume this board is fairly hostile to Dunn, so I temper my praise of him around here.

Nah. People liked Dunn. Generally you can get away with murder around here as a White Sox fan although it personally drives me nuts when people use the board to post anti-Cubs screeds. Granted few others around here seem to care.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #27: May 13, 2012, 01:20:40 AM »
Had a... Busy couple of days, but saw Dunn finally did it and figured I'd better pop my head in or folks might think I killed myself due to being at a loss of how to continue without the streak. And yeah, this is way too freaking long, so don't bother reading it unless you give a crap. But since this is my last, assuming we can all drop my obsession with it and move on, post on the matter, so I wanted to sum up all my thoughts and the basic stats in one place.

Finally. Finally! No one is happier than I the damn thing is done with. First and foremost so we, meaning me, can move on and not get caught up in bickering when I did an update once or twice a week. But most importantly, Dunn freaking deserves it. He had a crap year last year, hardly surprising due to changing leagues after nearly a decade in the NL. Then he gets shifted to DH, and screwed over since he always said he was ADD and thought sitting on the bench half the game would negatively impact his performance. Then he makes a comeback this year, back to classic Dunn, and can't catch a break getting mocked and booed for the record and # of Ks. Dunn totally, absolutely, definitively should never have been in the streak in the first place. He's been playing way too well. It shouldn't even have been statistically possible.

I'll wrap this up in just a sec. But to sum up, it lasted 32 games from Opening Day. But that's always been why I wouldn't let go of this streak. 6 games, six freaking games he only made one single out. Seven games he only made two outs. 11 games, only three outs. Boom goes the dynamite. 24 of 32 games he had three or less outs. 25 walks. It's like the game on Wednesday. He walked three times, so only had two Abs. Got a hit during one. Then, ninth inning, 4/4 in PAs, boom, a K. The 4/24 game, one PA as a PH, boom boom, a K. 4/18 game. Three walks, two PAs. One hit, so only made one out. Boom boom boom, a K. Second game of the season, two walks, two PAs. One hit, one out. Goes the the Dunnomite.

That's been my justification the whole time. A. I'm a huge, huge Dunn fan. B. He performed like crazy during the streak, awesome OBP, tons of Hrs, etc. Then you had all those games, six of them just one out, only one due to PHing. Just seems like the odds should have made this utterly, insanely impossible. Possible, yes, just as a HR cycle is possible. But about the same odds of a player playing identical to Dunn except leaving the Ks up to chance. Getting 32 games yet playing that well just still doesn't seem like it could happen.

But whatever. It's over, done with, kapoot. Now we, meaning me, can move on with their, meaning my, life, and Dunn can get back to being the awesome power hitter and all around great guy he's always been.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #28: May 13, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Nobody is going to read that crap.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: May 13, 2012, 11:56:46 AM »
ok, so it's not an exact comparison, but all I can tell you is that Dunn reminds me of him - it seems with either its K or HR, with very little in between.

except for that walk thingee

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #30: May 13, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »
except for that walk thingee

And not being a scumbag thingee.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #31: May 13, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »
And not being a scumbag thingee.

Can we look up the defensive stats?  I think Dunn, while not a gold glover, is a much better position player than Kingman ever was. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #32: May 13, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
I doubt it. Dunn was a pretty terrible OF'er, much better 1B, though.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #33: May 13, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
Nobody is going to read that crap.

Jesus christ. I make a point to say that very thing in the second sentence and still you won't quit. Your adding inane, duplicate crap every time I make a long post... Do you think anyone reads, or wants to read that, any more than they do my long posts?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #34: May 13, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »
Jesus christ. I make a point to say that very thing in the second sentence and still you won't quit. Your adding inane, duplicate crap every time I make a long post... Do you think anyone reads, or wants to read that, any more than they do my long posts?

Didn't your college professor tell you message board posts should be 500 characters or less. Anything more is an essay.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #35: May 13, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
Didn't your college professor tell you message board posts should be 500 characters or less. Anything more is an essay.
So what, since 90% of it is unique, ie not gibberish that is cut without losing something I wanted to say, just make several posts over days of 500 characters? Fine, it's an essay. It is an essay. On the improbable nature of Dunn's streak. I made sure to put said warning at the start of the post. Considering how nuts I went over Dunn and the streak, if anyone expected me to say "Yay, the streak is over" and leave it at that, I'm not the only delusional one. If anyone reads it, awesome, if not, no skin off my back.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #36: May 13, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »
Still too long, two sentences max.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #37: May 13, 2012, 07:07:29 PM »
I doubt it. Dunn was a pretty terrible OF'er,

That's one point in which you and SF find common ground. That makes you almost like brothers.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #38: May 13, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
It's over, done with, kapoot. 

What do you mean? The current K streak is already at 2 games so this isn't over by a long shot yet.  :stir:

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #39: May 13, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
I doubt it. Dunn was a pretty terrible OF'er, much better 1B, though.

Did you ever see Kingman play the outfield? His nickname with the cubs was "colonel klank," for the sound of baseballs bouncing off his "iron" glove.  He was brutal.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #40: May 14, 2012, 04:20:24 AM »
The only person i know with a personal grudge hatred for Adam Dunn is Lorbulus Booglegums.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #41: May 14, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »
Lorbulus Booglegums.

:rofl:

best lorb nick in a while

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #42: May 14, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »

You need an editor.  You ramble too much.  Very painful to read.  That, my friend, is the source of the irritation. Anything relevant you had to say could have been expressed in three to four well structured sentences. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #43: May 14, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »
You need an editor.  You ramble too much.  Very painful to read.  That, my friend, is the source of the irritation. Anything relevant you had to say could have been expressed in three to four well structured sentences. 

This sums it up perfectly. 

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #44: May 14, 2012, 01:09:50 PM »
Speaking of Dunn's defense, it looks like Robin Ventura is planning on using Dunn in his old spot in left field during interleague games, especially at Wrigley Field, seeing Dunn already has 25 career HRs there.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bgJL8?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=chicago-white-sox

Offline soxfan59

• John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #45: May 14, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »
:rofl:

best lorb nick in a while

You'll have to fill me in on this sometime, chief. 

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #46: May 20, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
Congrats to Adam Dunn for breaking his 7 game consecutive K streak yesterday. He also hit a HR today giving him 14 on the season and a .600 Slug%

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #47: May 20, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
Adam Dunn comeback player of the year and MVP?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #48: May 20, 2012, 05:22:36 PM »
Definitely comeback player of the year. MVP no chance.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #49: May 20, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
I had no idea the season ended today. :poke: