Author Topic: Carrasco Returns  (Read 2714 times)

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Re: Carrasco Returns
« Reply #25: July 20, 2007, 04:30:47 PM »
I've pretty much assumed Booker would be the next reliever to make it up.  Anybody think otherwise?

It depends on what trades are made. If they deal Cordero or Rauch, I think that is absolutely true. If there is a need to replace another guy, they may bring up someone with options or they another guy they want to evaluate. Isn't Booker out of options?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #26: July 20, 2007, 04:35:40 PM »
Booker was a Rule 5 returnee. I think we had to keep him on the 40 man after he came back, but I'm not sure.

I know he was optioned back to AAA at the very end of ST only because of numbers, not performance.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #27: July 20, 2007, 04:35:45 PM »
This was Rotoworld's comment on Hector:

Better teams were intersted in him, but Carrasco chose to rejoin the organization he pitched for in 2005. He must have figured his best chance to land another nice contract over the winter was to resume working with Nationals pitching coach Randy St. Claire, who taught him the changeup that made him so successful two years ago. He'll likely be called up in a week or two.

I guess it is a good sign that other teams were interested.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #28: July 20, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »
It's the one thing we have that other teams really need/want/value. And we have other guys in our system ready to step up, and some of the guys we have like Bowie and Bacsik can move to the pen as well. This is a great opportunity to trade these guys away for value.

I know ... I get that -- but I'm just really emotionally attached to all our guys - this year more than ever - they're defying the odds, they play hard, scrappy ball, their supportive of eachother, they care, they're just so darned likable - And the pen has been so great - I get why making trades makes sense - and I'm resolved that it's going to happen at some level - I just don't want to see them go ... :(

natsfan1a

« Reply #29: July 20, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
Me, too, wpa! I can understand intellectually why a given trade is a good idea, but it still hurts when I've come to care about a player. Our guys are *very* scrappy and lovable, IMO! (okay, okay, cue the "nice guy" brickbats :) )

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: July 20, 2007, 04:50:53 PM »
I'd be happy if Carrasco could make it back with us.  He's a super nice guy, and he really pitched well for us in 2005.  Got a big ol' fat contract out of it, too.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #31: July 20, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
I've pretty much assumed Booker would be the next reliever to make it up.  Anybody think otherwise?

He would have been the logical choice, but I think the Nats signing Carrasco kinda throws all that logic out the window.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #32: July 20, 2007, 05:57:01 PM »
He would have been the logical choice, but I think the Nats signing Carrasco kinda throws all that logic out the window.

Yeah, but if the Cordero / Rauch rumors are true, Nats might need two.  And Hector needs to do a little work to get it back, but we all know he's one of Randy's most illustrious successes, so he may want to get it back while with the big boys.  We shall see!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #33: July 20, 2007, 06:12:03 PM »
And let's not forget we still have Speigner waiting and ready to light it up in the Show  :?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #34: July 20, 2007, 06:29:13 PM »
And let's not forget we still have Speigner waiting and ready to light it up in the Show  :?

Is that light it up, or get lit up?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #35: July 20, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »

Toss a coin.

natsfan1a

« Reply #36: July 20, 2007, 06:37:30 PM »
If we get Smoker, he's sure to light it up!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #37: July 20, 2007, 06:38:11 PM »
Toss a coin.

If the coin is smart (or evil), it wont come back down to give an answer...

Offline spidernat

« Reply #38: July 20, 2007, 06:49:48 PM »
Booker called up. Simontacchi to the DL.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #39: July 20, 2007, 07:26:51 PM »
Looks like Tom's feeling and logic won out over any other motives.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #40: July 21, 2007, 12:24:55 PM »
Looks like Tom's feeling and logic won out over any other motives.

Now that Simontacchi's on the 15 day DL, he's going to miss another couple of starts.  I think the Booker move is just the first of several, since obviously a reliever is a poor replacement for a starter.  But we have 4 more games before Simontacchi's spot in the rotation comes up again, and during that time Booker is more useful than a starter sitting idle would be.  It would not surprise me to see a starter called up in time for the next Simontacchi day, which would mean another move would have to be made.

And a trade could be brewing which would send Rauch and / or Cordero away in the meantime, opening the door for Lannan or Hanrahan.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #41: July 21, 2007, 02:05:56 PM »
I think it might be O'Connor. No 40-man moves necessary.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #42: July 21, 2007, 02:08:26 PM »
I think it might be O'Connor. No 40-man moves necessary.

Ah, good point, you could well be right.