Author Topic: WaPo's Reid: Werth signing could be a disaster for Nats franchise  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Nobody has said anything at all about the quality of the Braves, except my comment about their .207 batting average versus lefties, which is an empirical fact. Read those posts.

(Or go become a Braves fan.)

;)

Overall against Livo current Braves are hitting .211/.304/.330, but Jason Heyward, Brian McCann, and Julio Lugo destroy Livan. With 12 remaining games against the Braves the Nationals at this point control their own destiny more than any other wild card contender except perhaps the Mets but the Nats get to play them as well. 

Offline Strasburg37

This is the best Nats team , but not the best record , since 2005
What do you mean?  We haven't been .500 this late in the season since 2005.

Offline houston-nat

Yeah, honestly, I'd say the reverse, this may not be a better record than 2005, but this is probably a better team than the 2005 team. We have two stars on this team, and they're named Zimmerman(n), plus potential new stars in Espinosa and Morse. Also, I'm thinking/hoping we have lower odds of an epic late collapse.

Offline Strasburg37

Getting back to the topic of the thread, the most frustrating thing about Werth's lack of production is that if he was playing like last year, we might have finished the first half with a record comparable to the 2005 team's amazing run.  Then we'd have a very real shot of making the playoffs this year.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
On the road against one of the best teams in baseball with SPs with ERAs of 3.57, 2.44, and 1.87. One of the toughest series we have had all year. The Braves have been playing amazing baseball and their starting rotation is off the charts. It will be a miraculous effort for the Nats to just win 1 game in this series I'm afraid, especially with our only comparable SP to theirs not pitching in the series.

shut up.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
This is an exaggeration.  We always play the Braves tough -- especially in Atlanta -- and this is the best Nationals team since 2005.  While the Braves are the heavy favorite, we have a chance to win every game.

Atlanta was the site of the Nats' most recent series sweep on the road (1st-2nd-3rd-4th October 2009)...we also took two of three on an earlier visit there this year (10th-11th-12th May).

Offline Strasburg37

Atlanta was the site of the Nats' most recent series sweep on the road (1st-2nd-3rd-4th October 2009)...we also took two of three on an earlier visit there this year (10th-11th-12th May).
And we blew a 5-1 lead to lose Game 3 of that May series.  I was there and before the 8-run Cubs debacle, it was the worst loss of the season.  We were SO CLOSE to sweeping them.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Sportsfan is Randy Quaid in major league II

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Getting back to the topic of the thread, the most frustrating thing about Werth's lack of production is that if he was playing like last year, we might have finished the first half with a record comparable to the 2005 team's amazing run.  Then we'd have a very real shot of making the playoffs this year.

Exactly, and that's also what's so frustrating about the apologists who say, "too much is being asked of Werth!"  Uh, he just needs to be the same guy he's been for the PAST THREE YEARS.

And we blew a 5-1 lead to lose Game 3 of that May series.  I was there and before the 8-run Cubs debacle, it was the worst loss of the season.  We were SO CLOSE to sweeping them.

:hang: I had blocked that out of my mind.

Offline aspenbubba

What do you mean?  We haven't been .500 this late in the season since 2005.

personnel wise we are better than the 2005 team not record wise

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I didn't read the game thread and I'm fairly sure that this was mentioned there, but it probably bears repeating, Werth's facial hair last night was worse than his batting average.  Possibly the most unfortunate choice of beard trimming in professional sports history.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I didn't read the game thread and I'm fairly sure that this was mentioned there, but it probably bears repeating, Werth's facial hair last night was worse than his batting average.  Possibly the most unfortunate choice of beard trimming in professional sports history.

Wait a minute!!!

Let's not forget Mad Al Hrabowsky, who had the fluffy  beard plus the most bush-league preparation ever: he would stand on the side of the mound, crush the ball in his hands, puff puff puff and pull a face like he was about to charge into battle.

And that SF reliever with the died black beard is a bit silly looking.

(Of course I didn't see the game...but could Werth have been worse than those guys?)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Werthless was worse.

Wait a minute!!!

Let's not forget Mad Al Hrabowsky, who had the fluffy  beard plus the most bush-league preparation ever: he would stand on the side of the mound, crush the ball in his hands, puff puff puff and pull a face like he was about to charge into battle.

And that SF reliever with the died black beard is a bit silly looking.

(Of course I didn't see the game...but could Werth have been worse than those guys?)

(Back in the 90's I used to work with a Hrabowsky here in the DC area, related to the mad one.)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Werthless was worse.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Back in the 90's I used to work with a Hrabowsky here in the DC area, related to the mad one, what a kangaroo.)

OK, Werth just looks like he lost a bet to somebody. ["You lose Jayson, and you shave a weird streak down your beard..."]

Offline hammondsnats

hits in last two games with some pretty good swings.

Offline Strasburg37

I've been at the past two games and Werth looks much better to me.  Yes, he struck out twice tonight, but on the second K he was inches from a double on a foul ball beforehand.  He also crushed a ball to the gap for the second straight night that was caught.

I'm not saying he's showing signs of being worth the $126 mil, but he looks more locked in to me.  Maybe there is at least some hope.

Offline I can Throw

I've been at the past two games and Werth looks much better to me.  Yes, he struck out twice tonight, but on the second K he was inches from a double on a foul ball beforehand.  He also crushed a ball to the gap for the second straight night that was caught.

I'm not saying he's showing signs of being worth the $126 mil, but he looks more locked in to me.  Maybe there is at least some hope.

That's what I was seeing as well. He hit that ball to RF pretty hard, hopefully the hits keep coming, and we see some HR's and RBI's from him in the coming weeks.

Offline panthers30

A lot of people need to get over(not forget, but I guess come to terms with) the fact Werth will never be worth $126 million.  Werth at his very best isn't worth that kind of money.  If he can just be DECENT(let's say .270/280 with decent power) I'll get over his contract.

I had to work tonight so I didn't catch the game, but from what it seems he's had a good couple of games since the all star break.  Hope he can keep up.

Offline hammondsnats

:clap:

there you go S37, completely agreed

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Again with the money.  Who cares?  Just play well.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

+1

Offline Strasburg37

Again with the money.  Who cares? 
A lot of people care.  I agree that he doesn't need to play like Babe Ruth for me to be happy, but I think demanding an average above .270 is more than reasonable.

Offline hammondsnats

Ted Lerner cares about :money:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Ted Lerner cares about :money:

If there's no salary cap nobody should care. 

Offline hammondsnats

If there's no salary cap nobody should care.  

my point exactly :thumbs: