Author Topic: Martin at Syracuse  (Read 3992 times)

Offline dawgball60

Re: Martin at Syracuse
« Reply #25: July 05, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »
  Knowing Martin from his past history, he has always been his fellow team pitching mates biggest supporter!!  Since I've been following him he has always lead the way including MVP of league championship series. Believe me, he is a respected team leader at every level of professional baseball he has been in.. Just ask the skipper over at Columbus, (Torey Lovullo) who has spoken out many times in his praise for JD Martin and JD's OVERALL professional attitude to the game and as a supportive teammate.... :worship:

Offline natsfan4evr

« Reply #26: July 05, 2009, 10:31:30 PM »
When the hell do they plan on adding him to the 40 man? This is insane.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #27: July 05, 2009, 10:48:18 PM »
There will be a spot open when Colome is finished with his DFA in about 9-10 days.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #28: July 06, 2009, 12:04:44 AM »
There will be a spot open when Colome is finished with his DFA in about 9-10 days.

the spot is open now, if they choose to. but it's a stupid move. you just burn a potential 40 man spot. you only add him to it if u add him to the 25 man as well.

Offline PC

« Reply #29: July 06, 2009, 02:14:08 AM »

You mean they're not going to keep Colome in the organization and on the 40-man roster!  Are you implying that he's through with the Washington Nationals???? :shock:

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #30: July 06, 2009, 02:06:42 PM »
 I did not realize JD Martin was slected the Nationals Pitcher of the Month for both May and June. Somebody seems to think he's doing somthing right!! Congratulations to JD... :worship:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #31: July 06, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
How do we find out who's the Nationals Pitcher and Hitter of the Month?

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #32: July 06, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
  I'm sorry; Nationals AAA Pitcher of the Month for May & June...
    I found them at Nationals Farm Authority-Across the Affiliates-June Recap (http//natsfarm.com2009/07/01/across-the-affiliates-june-recap/) and s the same for May 09

Offline StressFree

« Reply #33: July 06, 2009, 02:57:43 PM »
I couldn't get the above to work even pasting it into browser address bar. Trying this one:

http://natsfarm.com/2009/07/01/across-the-affiliates-june-recap/

Also it appears that Brian Oliver is the author of the NatsFarmAuthority blog and Martin is his pick for AAA pitcher of the month. Still good recognition and a great blog!

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #34: July 06, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
Balester, JD Martin, Mock will all get their turn sooner than later.  I would think  no one will be up until after the All- Start break.  I do see Balester or JD up first and Mock to follow. The Nats have a stable on bonafide Major league pitchrs just sitting at AAA waiting their turn.  A nice problem to have.

I would guess in Balester , JD Martin, Mock you have 3 guys that will be playing somewhere in the bigs this year or next and for years to come.
The advantage Balester and Mock have Martin is that they are on the 40 man and they have MLB expierance.

Offline blue911

« Reply #35: July 06, 2009, 03:49:11 PM »
Balester, JD Martin, Mock will all get their turn sooner than later.  I would think  no one will be up until after the All- Start break.  I do see Balester or JD up first and Mock to follow. The Nats have a stable on bonafide Major league pitchrs just sitting at AAA waiting their turn.  A nice problem to have.

I would guess in Balester , JD Martin, Mock you have 3 guys that will be playing somewhere in the bigs this year or next and for years to come.
The advantage Balester and Mock have Martin is that they are on the 40 man and they have MLB expierance.

If I was a betting man, I'd say Martin then Balester and Mock last. Collin has 90 service days, so I don't see him getting a call until August.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #36: July 06, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »
Also it appears that Brian Oliver is the author of the NatsFarmAuthority blog and Martin is his pick for AAA pitcher of the month. Still good recognition and a great blog!

And a regular WNFF poster - NFA Brian.  ;)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #37: July 06, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »
If I was a betting man, I'd say Martin then Balester and Mock last. Collin has 90 service days, so I don't see him getting a call until August.

Does that earn him an extra option, prevent a super 2, or both?

There's already a 40 man space, so it's no biggie.

Offline blue911

« Reply #38: July 06, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »
Does that earn him an extra option, prevent a super 2, or both?

There's already a 40 man space, so it's no biggie.

there are 170 days in a "year". I think there are 85 or so left in this season.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: July 06, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »
Keep in mind that last year, the break for "Super 2" status was slightly over 2 years, 140 days.  That suggest if Balester gets more than 50 days, he'll earn arbtiration.  If the Nats hold off a call up until mid-August, he may miss being arbitration eligible.  To my eye, that looks likely, especially if the Nats decide that is about when Zimmermann (or Detwiler if he stays in the majors) gets shut down.  Martin is the most obvious call up if they want to replace Detwiler or Stammen in the rotation before then, Mock is the most obvious call up if they need just a spot start.

Offline StressFree

« Reply #40: July 10, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »
Martin had a really bad 4th inning and they pulled him out of the game against Rochester Friday. Still ongoing 6-1 in the sixth with Syracuse behind and batting. 6 ER against JD. I hope he's not injured again? That would just plain stink! Hopefully just a bad outing.

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #41: July 14, 2009, 10:55:18 AM »
  StressFree: I was at the game and thought he was pitching fine. It seemed a few of the fly balls could have been caught, saving a couple of runs. But, overall they hit him around in that 4th inning. A triple, 2 doubles and 4 singles throughout the 4 innings. I'm sure the trip to Portland with his other two All Star teammates will be, welcomed!! Geez!! The kid is human...PS..I'm sure he's a little dejected as to all the up & down movement going on around him as he stay's put!! I'm sure that's going though his head.."What is it going to take" 

Offline StressFree

« Reply #42: July 14, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »
Dawgball60, thanks for the update. Looking forward to the IL All Star game on ESPN! I'd think JD will get a good inning in on that? Looking at past games, it appears the starting pitchers do an inning apiece. And you are quite right, it is easy to forget these guys are human. Here's wishing JD the best!

Offline StressFree

« Reply #43: July 14, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »
Another nice article. This one Lindsay Kramer interviews JD on some everyday stuff, but also regarding his rehab and pitching style. Quite interesting...

Chiefs Pitcher Twinkles
http://www.syracuse.com/chiefs/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/124747531251070.xml&coll=1

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #44: July 14, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
I wonder if he were in Cleveland whether he'd be up by now.  They have had a terrible time with their rotation. They moved Adam Milller from starter to reliever before he went down to injury, and he was their best pitching prospect.  I have not been wowed by the pitchers they got for CC (Lewis and Jackson I think - Lewis is hurt, Jackson is meh), Westbrook is still rehabbing, Laffey, Sowers have all bounced around, Carmona is only now getting back, they throw Pavano out there eveyr 5th day, and had to sign Tomo Okha. Other than Lee, they have had nothing. 

I hope the kid is not jinxed.  right now, Washington looks like they may have more starter depth.

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #45: July 14, 2009, 05:02:54 PM »
  StressFree; very nice small, home town type article. You can tell just by some of his actions he's just a small town type kid!!! Kind of humble type.."Give me the ball and I'll get it done" type guy.
   JCA-CrystalCity; I have no dought if he had stead with Cleveland they would have him up!!! I don't believe it's "jinx" as much as Lot's of bad timing. he just needs to continue what he's doing, "stay focused" and it is bound to happen. A pitcher like that , ya can't keep out of the big leagues. Someone will give JD an opportunity to prove, (what he has already proven in the minors) in the Big Leagues. It is very confussing why it hasn't hapened yet!!!!!
    :evil:

Offline Battleship

« Reply #46: July 14, 2009, 05:06:19 PM »
I think the Nats will call him up in September at the latest.  Mock's just more convenient now because he's on the 40-man. 

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #47: July 14, 2009, 05:22:32 PM »
  Mock's done well sense he was sent down. We certainly can't take that away..JD Martin neds to keep the same mine frame and not get down!!!! I for one agree with you, Battleship......

Offline dawgball60

« Reply #48: July 18, 2009, 07:18:24 PM »
  He'll be next...Most likely Monday... :P

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #49: July 18, 2009, 07:20:43 PM »
  He'll be next...Most likely Monday... :P

yup.  hopefully he shakes off his last start.