Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 45329 times)

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #825: August 17, 2012, 10:59:15 AM »
FP is much cooler than Dibble.

:lol: FP is a dork but orange tie aside he is our dork.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #826: August 17, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
Sorry, guys.  I'm going to violate the 0% rule from Linty in reply #816.

Wow.  :Dibble:
seems to have a bit of animosity towards Strasburg.  Do you think it chafes at him that he lost his job right after his pitch-through-a-torn-UCL remarks and somehow blames Strasburg?  I always had some sympathy for
:Dibble: , but this is just a diatribe.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #827: August 17, 2012, 10:59:50 AM »
I admit that I thought Dibble was a useless fool when he was pitching. "The Nasty Boys"...blah.

Offline blue911

« Reply #828: August 17, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
Yet Boras is the saint? Boras talks out of his ass all the time and has an agenda

No doubt. His agenda though is that he believes that by limiting Starsburg's innings he'll be able to have a longer career. Thus making Boras more money.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #829: August 17, 2012, 11:08:40 AM »
“It bothers me, because I could care less what Strasburg does. I care about the rest of the guys in the clubhouse. They’re busting their asses day in and day out. Guys are playing hurt, guys are playing with pain every day, there’s some guys that are probably holding off on surgery ‘til the end of the season, because they’re trying to win a championship....You don’t get second chances in life and/or professional sports. Once again, the arrogance of Mike Rizzo to think, oh, we’re gonna have this long run. Even if you have a long run of winning divisions and getting to the postseason, I’ll bring up from their own division, the Atlanta Braves.”

I think this is the only thing he said where he had a legitimate point.  Everyone does seem to think that this team is going to dominate for the rest of the decade, yet you never know what can happen.  I guess it's a risk that Rizzo is willing to take.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #830: August 17, 2012, 11:09:39 AM »
No doubt. His agenda though is that he believes that by limiting Starsburg's innings he'll be able to have a longer career. Thus making Boras more money.

Which is why, the Braves were smart to milk Avery for everything they could. Same theory could be applied to the Nats/Strasburg.

Of course, the Nats have a much longer window of time left with Strasburg. And thus, the abuse this early doesn't make sense, yet.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #831: August 17, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
You know this whole thing has spiraled way out of control!  The nats are good now and anyone who doesn't think this team is built for the long haul is freaking insane!  If they don't do just as well next year and have a run at the playoffs like they are now then I'll shave my head.  Oh wait, uh I'll grow my hair out.  Uh won't shave my beard for the entire off season.  Uh something.  Point is, this team isn't going to be a one and done season.  You can put money on that.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #832: August 17, 2012, 11:12:02 AM »
I think this is the only thing he said where he had a legitimate point.  Everyone does seem to think that this team is going to dominate for the rest of the decade, yet you never know what can happen.  I guess it's a risk that Rizzo is willing to take.

I never thought of it as arrogance until someone pointed it out last month... but there is certainly a tempting of the fates by Rizzo to think the Nats are promised anything beyond this season's great run.

Offline blue911

« Reply #833: August 17, 2012, 11:12:33 AM »

See I don't see why it's arrogance to defer to expert medical advice. I think it's arrogance to ignore an expert in their chosen field.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #834: August 17, 2012, 11:12:39 AM »
You know this whole thing has spiraled way out of control!  The nats are good now and anyone who doesn't think this team is built for the long haul is freaking insane!  If they don't do just as well next year and have a run at the playoffs like they are now then I'll shave my head.  Oh wait, uh I'll grow my hair out.  Uh won't shave my beard for the entire off season.  Uh something.  Point is, this team isn't going to be a one and done season.  You can put money on that.

You really can't though.

I'm sure Marino thought the same thing. Nothing is promised in sports/life.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #835: August 17, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »
Yet Boras is the saint? Boras talks out of his ass all the time and has an agenda

If Boras was fired by a player and then Boras later went on and on about how that player was, 'a Stepford wife,' then yeah, I might agree with you.

Dibble is a douche.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #836: August 17, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »
See I don't see why it's arrogance to defer to expert medical advice. I think it's arrogance to ignore an expert in their chosen field.

Arrogance to think that they'll be a perennial contender. I definitely see that as a valid complaint by those in the don't shut down Strasburg camp.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #837: August 17, 2012, 11:15:49 AM »
Which is why, the Braves were smart to milk Avery for everything they could. Same theory could be applied to the Nats/Strasburg.

Of course, the Nats have a much longer window of time left with Strasburg. And thus, the abuse this early doesn't make sense, yet.

It's not the early 90's anymore.  People know a lot more about pitcher injuries than they did then.  If they pitched Strasburg 250 innings and he wasn't the same next year or got hurt, that would be a lot worse for the Nats now than it was for the Braves then.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #838: August 17, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
It's not the early 90's anymore.  People know a lot more about pitcher injuries than they did then.  If they pitched Strasburg 250 innings and he wasn't the same next year or got hurt, that would be a lot worse for the Nats now than it was for the Braves then.

Why?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #839: August 17, 2012, 11:17:57 AM »
If Boras was fired by a player and then Boras later went on and on about how that player was, 'a Stepford wife,' then yeah, I might agree with you.

Dibble is a douche.

No doubt Dibble is a douche. But lets not forget that Boras is a slime ball with an agenda. If Boras had it his way, Strasburg probably pitches 160 IP every year until his 6th year so that he can maximize his contract to the Yankees.

Why are we saving up his arm so that he can dominate for the Yankees?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #840: August 17, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »
If the Nats knowingly abused a young pitcher by pitching him two or three times as many innings as he pitched the eyar prior just after TJ surgery, I'd say that would have an effect on other pitchers wanting to play for the Nats.

Offline blue911

« Reply #841: August 17, 2012, 11:19:23 AM »
Arrogance to think that they'll be a perennial contender. I definitely see that as a valid complaint by those in the don't shut down Strasburg camp.

Of course he's arrogant he truly believes in the team he's put together.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #842: August 17, 2012, 11:20:06 AM »
No doubt Dibble is a douche. But lets not forget that Boras is a slime ball with an agenda. If Boras had it his way, Strasburg probably pitches 160 IP every year until his 6th year so that he can maximize his contract to the Yankees.

Why are we saving up his arm so that he can dominate for the Yankees?

The Boras agenda is to work on behalf of his clients.  Dibble is just being petty and small. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #843: August 17, 2012, 11:21:11 AM »
Of course he's arrogant he truly believes in the team he's put together.

If he truly believed this team was ready this year... you have to wonder why Strasburg wasn't held back at the beginning to start his routine later and then have him fully healthy for the playoffs.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #844: August 17, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »
Linty, I normally agree with you on things baseball, but you're off in the deep end on this one.

Even your whole "limit Strasburg's innings in each start so as to stretch him out into October" seems completely hair-brained to me, considering TJ recovery might involve limiting not only innings but number of starts.

Offline blue911

« Reply #845: August 17, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
If he truly believed this team was ready this year... you have to wonder why Strasburg wasn't held back at the beginning to start his routine later and then have him fully healthy for the playoffs.

That would be a medical question that I'm not qualified to answer. I'm not sure how that would work with him getting ready in spring training then what... sit him for a month. Or maybe start is spring later but I can't see that being a good idea either. I just don't know enough about sports medicine to put together a protocol that I think would be successful for all concerned.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #846: August 17, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »
Linty, I normally agree with you on things baseball, but you're off in the deep end on this one.

Even your whole "limit Strasburg's innings in each start so as to stretch him out into October" seems completely hair-brained to me, considering TJ recovery might involve limiting not only innings but number of starts.

So where is the evidence for that? I find that hard to believe. I don't see other teams saying anything about limiting starts post-TJ. innings, yes, but not starts. Not to mention he is adding like 3 starts in the postseason so I doubt thats the difference between him being healthy and getting injured.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #847: August 17, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »
Guys, I'm surprised we haven't had a poll on the topic yet.  In fact, it's been quite a while since we've had a poll at all, so go vote!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #848: August 17, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »

Shutting him down for a long period over the off-season might not agree with his rehab program.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #849: August 17, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »

It really has nothing to do with innings... it has to do with stress. If he was throwing 160 innings with 3 pitches per inning... he could easily go 200+ innings and there'd be no stress on his arm. It has more to do with how stressful the innings are/how many "bullets" he's wasting in those innings.

Lately, I've actually moved into the shut Strasburg down camp... specifically because I see his velocity dropping and his control starting to falter.

Today, I'm just playing the "what if?" card. I don't really know how I feel about shutting him down. Sometimes I want him to pitch the whole season, sometimes I want to cut him off at 160.

I'm just happy I don't have to make the decision.